Best top end gasket kit for 02 CR250?

Got a head gasket leak and was wondering what gaskets are the best for my 02 cr250? I heard that the 05cr250 has a thicker head gasket? Thanks guys

OEM.  When you disassemble it make sure the head isn't warped.  If the engine has overheated in the past it's a possibility it can be the culprit unless it has an aftermarket gasket that is junk.  That being said I've only used cometic other than oem & have had good results. 

Ok cool i dont remember what I used last time, and I didnt check the cylinder head...but if it is bad, i can get it fixed at a local machine shop for 60$ or so. Can I tell if the head is warped by looking at it? thanks man

I don't believe you can detect a warped head visually unless it's really bad.  A cheap & inexpensive way to check would be to be put the head on a flat surface like a piece of glass or Plexiglas.  Use some kind of guide on the surface of the glass like a powder guide coat for example to see if the bottom of the head is flush with the glass.    

If it's minor you can fix it yourself with sand paper on a block & moving the head in a circular motion until the surface has an even look.  That will be indicative of how clean the surface looks.

Here is an example I found on You Tube.  Not the best, but it gives you an idea.  Personally I'd use sandpaper instead of rubbing compound & do it manually.

thanks guys!!!

You asked about a kit... If you are doing a top rebuild, I recommend an oem head gasket and the thinner 07 base gasket. Running the 07 base gasket gives a bit more compression and low end power. make sure the head surface is flat, replace the studs and nuts because they stretch and wont torque properly.      (Most important) read up on how to torque your cylinder head. good luck.

When it comes to top end gaskets, use NOTHING but OEM. Even more important than that, make sure everything is torqued to spec. 

not even once had a problem with the Tusk top end gasket kit. I tried a 05+ base OEM gasket on my 02 and it made no discernible difference to me and I almost exclusively ride slow low end oriented woodsy trails.

Edited by shrubitup

I think this happened to me because last time I didnt torque the cylinder head, just guessed and tightened.... also anyone know the 02 cr250r cylinder head torque specs? thanks guys 

5 hours ago, smallz700r said:

I think this happened to me because last time I didnt torque the cylinder head, just guessed and tightened.... also anyone know the 02 cr250r cylinder head torque specs? thanks guys 

20 lbs.