Switching from 450 quad to a bike

I am considering making the switch from my trx450r to a dirtbike since the sport quad hobby has died for the most part.  I do nothing but trail riding.  Have been on atv's my entire life and worked my way up to riding a 450.  Dad and brother always rode bikes and I've thrown my leg over a 250f or 450 a handful of times for a leisurely cruise but never any serious trail riding on a bike.  I feel like I need something I can get comfortable on but not be bored with.  A 450 is out because they are just too wild for me to feel comfortable.  450 quad and 450 bike are just totally different animals.  I'm thinking something along the lines of a crf250x or wr250.  Am I on the right track?  I'm 5-9 and goal is to be around 220 by the time I get on a bike, currently dieting and exercising to get there.

Edited by ILtrailrider

Bless you for switching from quad land.... We need more like you!!

I recommend the KLX450R, CRF450X, or WR450 and learn clutch and throttle control to make the power as mild as you like.

Depending on your budget really, i think you would get bored of a wr250 quickly as i did.. id go a 250 2 stroke, te250/xcw are the cream of the crop but a cheaper alternative is an old mxer like a yz250 with a few mods to tame it to your liking.

I should add I'm also thinking this first bike should be good for putting around with kids, which points to one of the 230s but everything I hear on them says they are not good for adults.  That pretty much rules out a 450mx bike or 250 2 stroke I would think.  My wife and I are trying to start a family and I would like to get the kids riding when they are old enough.  That is my main reason for switching to a bike, if I can get comfortable on a bike then I would feel good about teaching kids to ride.  There's just nowhere to go anymore after kids outgrow 50-90cc atvs, a few 250s and thats it other than yamaha still making the 450 and raptor.

Depending on your budget really, i think you would get bored of a wr250 quickly as i did.. id go a 250 2 stroke, te250/xcw are the cream of the crop but a cheaper alternative is an old mxer like a yz250 with a few mods to tame it to your liking.

Exactly. Yz250s are VERY budget friendly and 10x the parts availability over any other 2 stroke really. Theres a million different mods you can do to a yz250 to make it great for woods.

If you prefer four strokes 250 would be good but i think id get bored of it (if i was you). Got rid of my yz250 for a 450 4t, yz didnt have the torc. I also only ride trails and personally i prefer the four strokes for bush riding, 2 stroke i was always on the pipe to get anything done. Get a 250 4 stroke if you really dont want a 450. But id save time and get the 450

Should add if your gonna go 250 2t get the oversized rads as a first upgrade. Thing will over heat like crazy, especially riding behind little ones

Should add if your gonna go 250 2t get the oversized rads as a first upgrade. Thing will over heat like crazy, especially riding behind little ones

Ummmm not as bad as a 450. 2 strokes run cooler if jetted right. If you jet lean they will over heat but not really at all. I run a 250 motocross in the woods no problem.

Ya, get a 250 2 stroke.  Way better than a tank of a 450 in the woods. "More" bottom end too.

And much cheaper to maintain.  And a lot more fun.

Edited by Slicing-Air

Ummmm not as bad as a 450. 2 strokes run cooler if jetted right. If you jet lean they will over heat but not really at all. I run a 250 motocross in the woods no problem.

Must be some easy trails fam. Obviously it has to be a pretty hot day and some hard situations. My mistake i did say “like crazy” but not all the time, every ride. Theres certain conditions that summon an over heat, doesnt fall out of the sky like i stated above^.

Must be some easy trails fam. Obviously it has to be a pretty hot day and some hard situations. My mistake i did say “like crazy” but not all the time, every ride. Theres certain conditions that summon an over heat, doesnt fall out of the sky like i stated above^.

I mean if its hot out and you arent going fast enough, then of course any bike will over heat.

I mean if its hot out and you arent going fast enough, then of course any bike will over heat.

My dads 450 never over heated with stock rads. We ride the same trails at the same time.

Re jet the two stroke to run richer, it WILL solve over heatings problems. And throw in some decent coolant. No problem. I race my 17 250 SX through the woods, fast and slow single track. Never overheated.

Ya, get a 250 2 stroke.  Way better than a tank of a 450 in the woods. "More" bottom end too.
And much cheaper to maintain.  And a lot more fun.

lol more bottom end?! Wtf lmao
2 hours ago, maindawg said:

lol more bottom end?! Wtf lmao

Yes, they do have more bottom end.  Maybe you have never ridden a 450 and 250 2t?  At the very bottom end of a 450, if you're not careful the rpm's will get too low and it will quit.  A 250 2t can idle WAY lower without shutting off (lower rpm) hence more bottom end.  

Edited by Slicing-Air
Yes, they do have more bottom end.  Maybe you have never ridden a 450 and 250 2t?  At the very bottom end of a 450, if you're not careful the rpm's will get too low and it will quit.  A 250 2t can idle WAY lower without shutting off (lower rpm) hence more bottom end.  

I can agree. I was super surprised my yz250 today didnt stall climbing a hill in 3rd lugging it around lol. If it was my 250f it woulda quit 2nd going slow..

Let’s not forget here that most 250 2ts weigh at least 30lbs less than a comparable 450..  To imply that they overheat more than 450s in the tight stuff is laughable at best..  The number one mistake a new trail rider can make is to buy a 450.   The OP specifically says he’s not considering a 450 then instantly gets the recommendation to buy a 450 followed by complete and total mis-information...  lol sounds about right..

Start out with something that won’t overwhelm you either by weight or power or both.   Buy a used bike and get a feel for what you like before you buy a new bike..  Bikes like the wr250f and crf250x are good choices along with many others 2t and 4t alike..  Get a good used bike and when your ready to upgrade sell it for what you payed and move on..

The notion that 4 strokes run cooler than 2 strokes, is complete nonsense. I own both and my 4 stroke is the only one that needs a fan...I definitely don't just ride easy trails either.

my first bike was a wr450 that i got when i was 21 years old. it was very manageable. and i would definately recommend getting one. my bro started off with a crf250x which was underpowered for some of the hills we did. recently we both switched to yz250's and are both not looking back. great Trail bikes with a couple of small mods. no more valves to adjust and a lot more nimble then a 4 stroke on the trails. I would definately recommend you try one to see if you like it