new Beta 200 vs Sherco 250 vs GasGas 250 GT

I'm thinking of buying a new trails bike as an upgrade from my 12 year old Beta Rev3.

Looking at the Sherco "standard" 250, the GasGas 250 GT and the Beta 200. Interested in impressions, rants and raves. Thanks

Why are you looking to buy new Pat ?

do you not like the rev3 you just got ?

My Rev3 is (1) 12 years old, (2) a 270. It runs well, but parts are getting to be an issue. Everyone tells me that I'd learn more faster with a 200 or 250. I didn't know anything when I got the Rev3, but I have found that its very powerful. Pretty easy for a clueless beginner to whiskey throttle the beast. I've done it more times than I care to admit

I was looking for a more recent used bike, say a 2013 Sherco 250. Hoping I could find something for say $4K, sell my Rev3 for a bit over $2K, and still claim that this is inexpensive. But there are not many late model trails floating around, and they are often $5K or more. I had a line on a very nice 2014 Sherco, but it got sold out from under me for $5200.

So I started looking at new because the jump in price for a new one is only up to $7K or so, and I can just order one and have it before Spring shows up.

But I really don't know enough to appreciate what the product brochures say. 

Ive had a 15 sherco 2.9 and now  a 09 300txt raga edition, both seem to be good bikes, the gasgas has the smoothest clutch I have ever touched and has more power. What I don't like about it is the exhaust sticks out the side more and I have banged my knee up a couple of times pretty good on the pipe. Its my own fault I usually wear knee guards. I also have burned my leg pretty good from it wearing shorts, again my fault. I never had any of that on the sherco the pipe is tucked away better. The sherco suspension seemed better, as far a dropping off ledges and over big logs, it just took more of the impact rather than my body.  I would recommend the Sherco mainly because RYP USA has every part in stock for the Sherco and they are great to work with. I bought my 15 2.9 in 2016 from them for 5,500 they shipped it for free. Ive been having a little trouble finding parts for my GasGas. 

You might be able to buy a S3 head and a low compression insert in your beta 270 it might tame it to the level your wanting and go back to stock when ready.

23 hours ago, Adam ES said:

You might be able to buy a S3 head and a low compression insert in your beta 270 it might tame it to the level your wanting and go back to stock when ready.

Got a link? That would address my biggest problem with my Beta. I've seen lots of S3 high compression heads for KTMs, Husqv, and other fast bikes, but nothing for slow.

I've had a lot of experience with both the Beta and Sherco as I've been a dealer for both. Also very familiar with GG too. To be open I'm now just Beta. 

Like I said in the trials post in Beta forum, Beta is easily the most reliable. Not saying there is anything wrong with the other 2, but Beta's just hold up better. 

As far as how they ride, while the new Beta's are far superior to yours it'll still have the same feel. Mainly with the tight tucked in front end. And peg/bar  relationship. Sherco and GG have a more racked out front end and pegs feel slightly higher. 

Comparing a 200 to the 250's is a little like apples to oranges. The 200 will of course be smoother and easier to ride. I know a Sherco 250 feels much quicker and I sure a GG does too  

Like others have said RYP/Sherco is great for parts and service. We also have no problem with parts for newer Beta's (EVO's) although unless you crash I don't think you'll need anything. Also Beta has a full 6 month warranty. 

Thinking about it a little more. A 2005 or 06 Rev3 270 is a pretty tame trials bike to begin with. A new 250 if anything will be a little quicker. 

What you will feel with any new bike though is that it'll feel way lighter. The old REV3 is a bit of a tank in compression to the new bikes. Also the suspension will be worlds better and that will make it easier to do just about everything. 

Got a link? That would address my biggest problem with my Beta. I've seen lots of S3 high compression heads for KTMs, Husqv, and other fast bikes, but nothing for slow.

Just go to Rypusa.com, call them and talk to them, I do when I have questions about my bike and they are really helpful, doesn't matter if I'm buying parts or not.
I've had a lot of experience with both the Beta and Sherco as I've been a dealer for both. Also very familiar with GG too. To be open I'm now just Beta. 
Like I said in the trials post in Beta forum, Beta is easily the most reliable. Not saying there is anything wrong with the other 2, but Beta's just hold up better. 
As far as how they ride, while the new Beta's are far superior to yours it'll still have the same feel. Mainly with the tight tucked in front end. And peg/bar  relationship. Sherco and GG have a more racked out front end and pegs feel slightly higher. 
Comparing a 200 to the 250's is a little like apples to oranges. The 200 will of course be smoother and easier to ride. I know a Sherco 250 feels much quicker and I sure a GG does too  
Like others have said RYP/Sherco is great for parts and service. We also have no problem with parts for newer Beta's (EVO's) although unless you crash I don't think you'll need anything. Also Beta has a full 6 month warranty. 

I've been thinking about a Beta trials bike. For one I have a dealer fairly close and second I have a Beta 300rr and absolutely love it. I wouldn't question the quality one bit. I'm just not sure about that left side kick.
2 hours ago, Adam ES said:

I'm just not sure about that left side kick.

Have left side kick on my Rev3, and its a pain... my left leg is much weaker than my right one. All things equal, I'd go with a right side kick. But Beta is the only 200cc so it gets consideration.

For some reason, the Beta prices are different based on engine size, the 200 is cheaper than the 250 which is cheaper than the 300. Kinda strange since the bikes are identical only the cylinder, piston, head, rings and maybe some gaskets are different. But since I'm looking small, the lower price is a plus for m

I hear the left side kick thing a lot. Unless you have a bum left leg I don't get why it's a problem, other than it's just different. There should be just as many people out there with bad right legs?

For me it's not even a thought. I can kick with ether leg just fine, but I also rode older KTM's and Husky's with left kicks back in the day.

I figured it out awhile ago, at a typical Trials we start the bike 40-50 times a day! The bike gets shut off at every section so there's 30 right there. Plus all the times warming up, riding to the truck, sign up etc. at least another 10 to 20. And it's not anything we even think about. 

3 hours ago, Adam ES said:

I've been thinking about a Beta trials bike. For one I have a dealer fairly close and second I have a Beta 300rr and absolutely love it. I wouldn't question the quality one bit. I'm just not sure about that left side kick.

Living with several RR's and EVO's, the trials bikes are even more solid/better built. We do way less maintenance on those!

I've heard Beta has a new motor in the works. Might still be a few years off. I'm sure it will be smaller, lighter and right hand kick, left side drive. I'm kinda dreading it when it comes out. The current motor runs and works so good and is so solid/reliable that we're not wanting anything else. But the market wants new, lighter and right hand kick. 

As for the pricing, all brands do it. It doesn't really cost any less to build a 250 than a 450. One area that Beta does save money though on the smaller bikes is the forks. The 125 and 200 don't have the upper fork tubes coated. They have been that way since as long as I can remember. It makes zero difference! My sons 125 forks feel exactly the same as the forks on my 250. All internals and springs/valving are exactly the same. 

9 hours ago, ccullins said:

I hear the left side kick thing a lot. Unless you have a bum left leg I don't get why it's a problem, other than it's just different.

For me, its an issue because even my right leg is marginal at kicking over a bike, and I'm right side dominant. I have a hard time kicking over my KTM300 on cold days with my right leg, subtract just a little bit of effectiveness and I can't get it started. Today, I visited my local GasGas dealer who had two GasGas trials bikes (250 and a 300) on the floor. They are right leg kick, and they were a challenge to kick, but maybe a little bit less of a challenge than my Beta. Of course, I'm gonna be 67 next month, and none of my parts work as well as they did when I was a young and wild and crazy guy

I ordered a new Beta 200 today. 

Nice pat.  Congrats.

On 2/8/2018 at 3:09 PM, pat22043 said:

I ordered a new Beta 200 today. 

Which one did you get? I want a hybrid with a seat and the 200 Sport looks really good.

I picked it up today. Its a 200 Evo, no sport, no SS, just a plain Evo

Beta_At_Bakers.jpg

Beta200_front_quarter.jpg

Beta200_rear_quarter.jpg

I picked it up today. Its a 200 Evo, no sport, no SS, just a plain Evo
Beta_At_Bakers.thumb.jpg.a91087f63378c1e2309208a80bfc13fb.jpg
Beta200_front_quarter.thumb.jpg.bd4580b257a58f9d3dd31e896475bd3d.jpg
Beta200_rear_quarter.jpg.094ab0cfbddce56249a32892df1afaa2.jpg

I need one! Nice bike
1 hour ago, M A T R said:

I need one! Nice bike

Dillsburg is close to Maryland, just a bit up Rt 15 from Gettysburg. Give Jared a call and he can have one for you within a week

Nice bike Pat.  I own a Gas Gas but have ridden Beta, Gas Gas, Montessa and Sherco.  Gas Gas are very competitive bikes for expert class riders.  But they've had a couple of dodgie periods that make me think they aren't worth the trouble if you aren't riding at s very high level.  My bike is a 2014 when they went through bankruptcy and it was like pulling teeth to get the correct ignition parts.  They used an odd ball part that year that wasn't documented by the engineers.  Everyone kept sending me the wrong parts.  I ate nearly $1,000 in parts from a poor dealer network that didn't seem to give a $#!+.  It wasn't until I personally contacted the CFO of Gas Gas North America that I was finally able to get the right parts.  Took me 2 years.  The U.S. dealer network sucks and needs improvement.  I will tell you that once I contacted the CFO he out me in contact with Hall Cycles who did their due diligence and was really good about making sure I got the right parts.  The traditional dealers like Lewisport, Jacks Cycles and Rising Sun seemed to know nothing about my model year, gave me blatantly wrong info, wrong parts, and suggested crazy solutions, that is if you could get them to even call you back.  Hopefully they can get their dealer and parts network sorted.  As it is I can't recommend a Gas Gas.

I think Betas have some issues (poor plastics, clutch drag, etc) but you'll be able to get the parts you need which is huge.  They have really good turning radius.  The power is a little soft compared to the Gas Gas and the clutch isn't as good.  But for a novices like us, I think they are better bikes.  My buddy has one, and I ride it better then I ride my Gas Gas.  I find it to be very consistent and easier to ride if not a bit soft on power.

I also really liked the Montessa 4-strokes.  Although it would definitely take me some time to get used to them.  They are a bit heavier. They don't seem to turn quite as tight (especially comapred to the beta).  But they chug really low with fuel injection and seem to find traction everywhere.  Where I would struggle is their lack of snap.  It's so easy to loft the front end up on a 2-stroke.  The Montessa took effort and often clutch.  I'm sure I'd get used to it but that was the biggest noticeable difference.

I've only ridden a Sherco very briefly twice.  The power seemed abrupt to me but I don't even know the displacement of the bikes ai rode.  So I might have ridden 300s compared to my 250.  I'd really need more time on them to form an opinion.

If you ever get over this way (Michigan), let me know and We can ride.  If you catch us on an event weekend even better.  We have lines for all skill levels.  We are all about having fun.

Doc