Munition

YZ 250 Restyle Polisport Vs R-Tech?

I picked up a 2005 yz 250.  Its got a lot of extras I was intending on purchasing later.  The thing it needs most at this point is an updated restyle kit.  I'm not in love with the UFO restyle kit that uses the old air box.  I think the kits using the 2015 airbox are much cleaner looking.  To each their own I guess.  

I want to buy a kit that comes with the air box. I'm down to 3 options buy I need more details on each option before I can choose.

1: Polisport Kit

• T polisport kit that comes with the air box.  No drilling holes in the airbox and no need to buy a rivet gun.  
  • I've heard the holes on the front fender don't line up and you have to drill your own?
  • Are the holes in the front fender pre-drilled?
  • Does the front number plate have any issues?

2: R-Tech Kit

• The R-Tech kit comes with a bracket to install the front number plate, but the airbox needs to be re-drilled and riveted.
  • Front fender is not pre-drilled, so you can be sure the front fender will line right up. 
  • I've seen a full install on this kit, so I don't really have any questions.

3: Buy stock OEM 2015 plastics. 

• What if I just bought a stock 2015 airbox, and then purchased 2015 plastics from anyone? 
  • What lines up, what doesn't line up? I read that the only thing you need to do is re-align the front fender by modifiying the holes.  Front number plate might need a tiny bit of work but it should bolt right up.  Essentially, this is the polisport kit right?
  • If I buy the polisport, or the r-tech kit, and a front fender needs replacing due to a crash, I assume I replace these pieces with stock OEM plastics anyway? 

At this point I think I'm leaning towards polisport, but I'd like input from folks who have actually done this using OEM, polisport, or R-tech.  

Here is an image of a stock 2005 front fender against the OEM 2015 fender on the right.  I read that ALL oem stuff for the 2005 bolts right up with the exception of the front fender, and maybe a small modification to the front number plate.  If it was a 2006, I assume everything would bolt up perfectly?

Capture.JPG

All the kits fit just the same. Some fit better against the gas tank than others, but buy whichever one you get cheapest. eBay has Polisports and RTechs for around $160 shipped. 

On the 05, the lower triple clamp needs two spring pins or bolts put in so they create posts that face down. You may also have to trim some “webbing” between the holes and the front side of the plate, but it takes a minute with a razor knife. 

The front plate will hook onto the posts and then bolt on top.

Most of the time, you will have to drill the front fender. The RTech kit I bought wasn’t drilled at all and came with a template for older and newer bikes, which was nice. The Polisport comes predrilled afaik. The OEM you will have to redrill since it’s for 15+. Drill the fender on a flat surface, upside down. Easiest way by far unless you have a drill press.

The biggest thing is re-riveting the airbox sides. It took me about an hour to install the kit altogether and the airbox took about half of it. Make sure you don’t drill the rivets out too big, otherwise the supplied ones might pull through.

The Polisport kit comes with a complete airbox and it came be tricky on it’s own taking the old one out and putting the new one in.

All plastics interchange and I’m a fan of the Polisport ones since you can order individual pieces in any color, from white, black, blue, flo yellow, or even clear.

No gripes about any of the kits; I’ve installed all of them.

• Helpful 1

I found Racetech to be a more brittle plastic. 

I have this posted in my restoration thread, and in other threads if you search restyle kit. 

All the questions have answers 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MaybeMe said:

All the kits fit just the same. Some fit better against the gas tank than others, but buy whichever one you get cheapest. eBay has Polisports and RTechs for around $160 shipped. 

On the 05, the lower triple clamp needs two spring pins or bolts put in so they create posts that face down. You may also have to trim some “webbing” between the holes and the front side of the plate, but it takes a minute with a razor knife. 

The front plate will hook onto the posts and then bolt on top.

Most of the time, you will have to drill the front fender. The RTech kit I bought wasn’t drilled at all and came with a template for older and newer bikes, which was nice. The Polisport comes predrilled afaik. The OEM you will have to redrill since it’s for 15+. Drill the fender on a flat surface, upside down. Easiest way by far unless you have a drill press.

The biggest thing is re-riveting the airbox sides. It took me about an hour to install the kit altogether and the airbox took about half of it. Make sure you don’t drill the rivets out too big, otherwise the supplied ones might pull through.

The Polisport kit comes with a complete airbox and it came be tricky on it’s own taking the old one out and putting the new one in.

All plastics interchange and I’m a fan of the Polisport ones since you can order individual pieces in any color, from white, black, blue, flo yellow, or even clear.

No gripes about any of the kits; I’ve installed all of them.

Help me understand this portion a little bit more clearly.  I think I'm leaning towards the Polisport option, but I want to make sure I have the tools to modify the lower triple clamp.

You mention it needs "spring pins or bolts put in..."  Are we talking welding bolts? Are we talking slipping bolts through existing holes to create pegs for number plate nipples to fit inside of? I'm assuming the polisport front number plate is the seam shape as OEM?

I wish there was an install video of the Polisport kit so I knew what I was getting into lol. 

37 minutes ago, Munition said:

Help me understand this portion a little bit more clearly.  I think I'm leaning towards the Polisport option, but I want to make sure I have the tools to modify the lower triple clamp.

You mention it needs "spring pins or bolts put in..."  Are we talking welding bolts? Are we talking slipping bolts through existing holes to create pegs for number plate nipples to fit inside of? I'm assuming the polisport front number plate is the seam shape as OEM?

I wish there was an install video of the Polisport kit so I knew what I was getting into lol. 

You’re just creating posts by attaching bolts or whatever hardware available. I used two stainless steel spring pins and pressed them into the holes. They work great and won’t come out.

1 hour ago, MaybeMe said:

You’re just creating posts by attaching bolts or whatever hardware available. I used two stainless steel spring pins and pressed them into the holes. They work great and won’t come out.

Awesome sounds simple.  One last question, the polisport kit (or any kit for that matter) doesn't come with all the specific colors I want.  For example, I want a blue front number plate, so I'll need to buy it after the fact.  Are all the plastic pieces in the kit the same as the OEM plastics?  In other words, after I buy the kit and I go ride, if I break plastic later, I can just buy the individual pieces of that break strain from UFO or some other plastic maker? 

6 minutes ago, Munition said:

Awesome sounds simple.  One last question, the polisport kit (or any kit for that matter) doesn't come with all the specific colors I want.  For example, I want a blue front number plate, so I'll need to buy it after the fact.  Are all the plastic pieces in the kit the same as the OEM plastics?  In other words, after I buy the kit and I go ride, if I break plastic later, I can just buy the individual pieces of that break strain from UFO or some other plastic maker? 

Yes you can. Actually with Polisport, if you order through a dealer, you can mix and match pieces to create a kit with any colors.

I used RT on my last resto - and the plastic dulled quite easily - silicon spray will fix that - but still   :excuseme:

I think Polisport are preferred for high end restos   :excuseme:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

I used RT on my last resto - and the plastic dulled quite easily - silicon spray will fix that - but still   :excuseme:

I think Polisport are preferred for high end restos   :excuseme:

Yah, I also found it brittle plastic. 

Anyone know a polisport dealer? Their website is less than helpful.  I love not too far from a Rockymountain ATV MC.  Maybe they can help order a custom kit?

Chiming in here with a question. One thing that confuses me the most with these kits is if i do the polisport kit and order polisport restyle kit graphics, will the graphics companies know i still have the 2010 fork guards and gas tank? Or what? Thats where i am boggled with this.

4 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

The kits are an exact replica

All of them, except the UFO one of course :) 

You can always specify to the company that you have the older fork guards. The gas tank doesn’t change.

• Like 1

I have a 2013 YZ250 and just did an update.  Last year I used the UFO update kit but liked the look of the 2015+ better so I switched.  I was going to get the Polisport restyle kit with airbox from Rocky Mountain but they kept pushing off the availability date so I instead purchased a 2015+ polisport plastic kit and a Yamaha factory airbox.

Everything bolted right up with the exception of the front fender.  I used my old fender as a guide and drilled new holes to match the mounts on the lower triple clamp.  I would've saved $45 and drilling holes if I had been patient enough to wait until March for plastics but I plan to race/ride before then.

I'm making my bike look like a 1993 too... just for fun.

20180201_192317.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, randallz said:

I have a 2013 YZ250 and just did an update.  Last year I used the UFO update kit but liked the look of the 2015+ better so I switched.  I was going to get the Polisport restyle kit with airbox from Rocky Mountain but they kept pushing off the availability date so I instead purchased a 2015+ polisport plastic kit and a Yamaha factory airbox.

Everything bolted right up with the exception of the front fender.  I used my old fender as a guide and drilled new holes to match the mounts on the lower triple clamp.  I would've saved $45 and drilling holes if I had been patient enough to wait until March for plastics but I plan to race/ride before then.

I'm making my bike look like a 1993 too... just for fun.

20180201_192317.jpg

Please post pics when done! That is already sweet looking!

• Like 1

On 2/6/2018 at 3:09 AM, MaybeMe said:

All of them, except the UFO one of course :) 

You can always specify to the company that you have the older fork guards. The gas tank doesn’t change.

On 2/5/2018 at 9:57 PM, RidingWithStyle said:

Chiming in here with a question. One thing that confuses me the most with these kits is if i do the polisport kit and order polisport restyle kit graphics, will the graphics companies know i still have the 2010 fork guards and gas tank? Or what? Thats where i am boggled with this.

So every restyle kit besides ufo will take stock graphics off the the 2016 graphics and newer correct ?