Hard start in cold weather

What year? Carb?, Put a bigger pilot jet in, I'd suggest a 45. Fuel injection?, They really don't like to start when it's freezing cold out, but richening up the fuel map portion for starting helps my 16. But if I drive it somewhere on the back of my truck when it's below freezing, it's still a pita to start, like today lol

• Like 1

It's a carb'd 04 it just will not fire up when it's cold outside....had good valves just replaced them not to long ago... I checked valve clearance just to be sure..they are in spec....when it was warm out it would fire up first or second kick Everytime...I didn't ride it for a little while then it turned off cold...I went out to start it an it wouldn't Kickstart...fires right up when pushed though

Cold air causes the engine to run lean. Engines need a rich mixture to start. If the choke isn't sufficient try richening the fuel screw by turning it out a quarter turn or so. If it's necessary to turn the fuel screw out more than 3 turns to get reliable starting you'll need it increase the pilot jet 1 size.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I'm a noob and there are many threads on here about this I'll throw some very recent experience your way.  When you change the plug next look down in the hole and make sure it is nice and clean.  I had some rust on the plug and some tiny debris in there all I think from stuff that got past the plug seal.. New plug is always a good thing. I used dielectric grease to help the plug wire top seal at the valve cover.  Now I am monitoring thinking maybe this may have let the plug mis fire once in a while.

I have a 2012 with good valve clearance, new plug, cleaned up plug wire and plug pocket, new air filter.  I found adjusting my kick procedure was helpful.  I did three long slow kicks to prime the system (both oil and fuel moving) then I carefully clicked it over a little bit to get the kick starter at the very top of the travel.  Then a medium speed kick straight to the bottom when the kick start hits the peg.  Two or three usually does it.  If I kick it hard and fast like a two stroke it never wants to start.  Too slow it never makes a peep.  Medium speed forceful kick gets it done.  It was 38 here today and I started mine.  It took six kicks before it barked and almost caught then the next full kick it lit off.