Compadre road/trail

Anybody gone south on it to Ojos Negros lately. Was interested in trying this route, are there any issues going down it such as access, locked gates. Read about some previous problems along this route. Also interested in the route from Ojos-laguna Hanson-Rumorosa when returning north from 10 day ride.   thanks Cam

It's been 6 months since I was on it. Don't remember it going to la Rumarosa, but was on the trail to Laguna Hansen there was a mexi can standing by a gate. I think he wanted $2 to open it. So in my best Spanish I said, nope, opened the gate and continued on. Not sure about any current issues.

Was on the road friday. Little bit dusty but road is wide open. Laguna Hanson is dry but there was still a bunch of traffic from people camping. Watch the blind corners.

• Like 1

Yep, I'll 2nd that both are wide open, no issues.

Comparde from the Tecate area to Ojos is clear sailing and smooth.   Ojos up Hanson then north to La Rumarosa wide open no worries.

Edited by BajaBoundMoto
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone, great information shared here. What is the best way to access the start of the road. Looking at maps it seems like a person goes East from Tecate on Mex2 for about 15 mi  then cross the toll highway and pick it up. Any signs to watch for?. I'm also assuming once you get on it that it is a fairly beaten road and a person sticks to the main road and heads South.     Thanks Cam

You are correct. Stay on the free rd. When highway splits stay left.  There is a sign and I think it says sta Veronica but not positive. 

On 2/6/2018 at 2:23 PM, BajaBoundMoto said:

Yep, I'll 2nd that both are wide open, no issues.

Comparde from the Tecate area to Ojos is clear sailing and smooth.   Ojos up Hanson then north to La Rumarosa wide open no worries.

On 2/6/2018 at 6:17 PM, Trailstomper said:

Thanks everyone, great information shared here. What is the best way to access the start of the road. Looking at maps it seems like a person goes East from Tecate on Mex2 for about 15 mi  then cross the toll highway and pick it up. Any signs to watch for?. I'm also assuming once you get on it that it is a fairly beaten road and a person sticks to the main road and heads South.     Thanks Cam

There is a regular highway sign “ Ojos Negros”.   You will be coming to the crest of a hill and there is a large dirt area on the right where you start your exit from the pavement.  Around 50+ mi,es south you will pass near the village of La Huerta then when you reach a “t” go to the right into Ojos.

1 hour ago, TecateRay said:

There is a regular highway sign “ Ojos Negros”.   You will be coming to the crest of a hill and there is a large dirt area on the right where you start your exit from the pavement.  Around 50+ mi,es south you will pass near the village of La Huerta then when you reach a “t” go to the right into Ojos.

This is very helpful TecateRay. Insread of turning right to go into Ojos at the "t" it looks like there is a short road that continues south and comes out on the Mex3 do you know this small section?. Another question I have been meaning to ask is about parking compounds on the Cali side.  Thanks Cam

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Trailstomper said:

This is very helpful TecateRay. Insread of turning right to go into Ojos at the "t" it looks like there is a short road that continues south and comes out on the Mex3 do you know this small section?. Another question I have been meaning to ask is about parking compounds on the Cali side.  Thanks Cam

I haven’t been on that cut over road to Mex 3 in several years.  As I recall you have to go left at the “t” a bit.  Then turn right on that road.  

Lots of parking lots.  Try the one on the right that has the coffee cart at the entrance.  Most are around $5 a day.  You can also park in Baja at Rancho Ojai which is about 3 miles before the turn onto the Compadre Road.  We’ve left cars and trailers there numerous times.

I have used the parking behind the coffee cart several times. No problems. Used the short way south to mex 3 lots of times. No problems there either. You plan on riding hwy to Valle t? Lots better choices than that.

5 hours ago, ehall said:

I have used the parking behind the coffee cart several times. No problems. Used the short way south to mex 3 lots of times. No problems there either. You plan on riding hwy to Valle t? Lots better choices than that.

The plan was to head down the highway to Valle T and make my way to Mikes then go out to Coyote from there. Will be using maps, no gps. Eventually the plan is to go out to the Pacific and head down to Catavina. At Cat I will go to the Coast and follow it down to Santa Rosalillita. Want to go down as far down as San juanico then go across to Mulege.  On the way north will go from San Ignacio through El arco up to San francisquito and up to BOLA. Keep on plugging my way North up the Cortez to Felipe and go up Through Laguna Hanson on the way back to Tecate.  All of the Northern routes we have been chatting about I have not done.     Thanks Cam

What are you riding or driving?

3 hours ago, Trailstomper said:

The plan was to head down the highway to Valle T and make my way to Mikes then go out to Coyote from there. Will be using maps, no gps. Eventually the plan is to go out to the Pacific and head down to Catavina. At Cat I will go to the Coast and follow it down to Santa Rosalillita. Want to go down as far down as San juanico then go across to Mulege.  On the way north will go from San Ignacio through El arco up to San francisquito and up to BOLA. Keep on plugging my way North up the Cortez to Felipe and go up Through Laguna Hanson on the way back to Tecate.  All of the Northern routes we have been chatting about I have not done.     Thanks Cam

That would be fun ride...mostly two track.

On 2/8/2018 at 10:07 PM, Trailstomper said:

I rode the Compadre Trail yesterday both ways.  It is in good shape.  

On 2/6/2018 at 7:11 PM, ehall said:

You are correct. Stay on the free rd. When highway splits stay left.  There is a sign and I think it says sta Veronica but not positive. 

Lots of Orange race arrows at the turnoff, left over from a race a few weeks ago.

Edited by TecateRay
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:32 PM, ehall said:

What are you riding or driving?

2016 KTM 500 EXC Six Days, 5.3 gallon tank, 15/48 gearing, Mitas E-09 Dakar rear/Dunlop 606 front with Ultra heavy duty tubes. Using Mosko Reckless luggage and small backpack.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TecateRay said:

Lots of Orange race arrows at the turnoff, left over from a race a few weeks ago.

Excellent T ray

55 minutes ago, Trailstomper said:

2016 KTM 500 EXC Six Days, 5.3 gallon tank, 15/48 gearing, Mitas E-09 Dakar rear/Dunlop 606 front with Ultra heavy duty tubes. Using Mosko Reckless luggage and small backpack.

Great. If you need any routes to avoid pavement let me know.

• Like 1

Wrong button first! Was just in a panga in scammons lagoon. 8 days and still counting. Camped every night. 6 miles from pavement coming out of San Borja mision, got 2 flats with 1 spare on my Subaru. So far, when disaster strikes, seems like I never have to walk far and here comes a gringo to the rescue. Camped deep in the rocks at Catavina one night, amazing!!! Eating at this place in San quitin this morning, baja is amazing!