2011 250f 6 Days Won't Start

Hey guys, let me give you a little back story.

I just picked up a 2011 250f 6 days with 150 hrs on it. When I picked it up the bike was a little slow to start but it was 17 degrees out and they guy hadn't ridden it in a while so I didn't think much of it. The bike pulled great and didn't blow any smoke.

I went to ride it the next day and it wouldn't start. So I checked all my fuses, listened to the fuel pump cycle, cleaned the inline fuel filter, dumped the old gas and replaced with new, checked the the valves (all within spec.) and replaced the spark plug. The plug was pretty black.

I dipped the new plug in some gas and then put the bike back together and she fired up, but took a minute. Once I got her running I ran her down the road and back for about 5 minutes to get any old gas out and new gas into the system. I then reset the idle to what the manual calls for and then I turned it off. Then right back on, so i let it idle for another couple of minutes then cut it back out. After I let her sit for 5 minutes while cleaning up my tools, she won't start again.

I am not used to FI, but I have a feeling the injector is leaking some when off. The reason I believe that is because the bike sounds flooded when trying to start, the blackened spark plug, and after cranking on it for about 10-15 seconds the bike will pop and a flame with shoot out of the muffler. Does this sound right?

I am planning on going by the dealer to pick up a new injector today to see if that doesn't fix it. I was also reading the spark plug caps have had issues so I will swap that out first. Is there anything else worth buying or cleaning while I am in the throttle body?

Thanks guys!

BTW, could KTM have made this throttle body any harder to remove?!

Edited by jmr_brap
New info

its possible to have contaminates get past filter and clog injector but you might have a fuel pressure problem instead. remove line from throttle body and check flow by turning on key, if flow is good and no air in system the injector might be problem. next time you store a vehicle fill tank with race gas as pump fuel is crap and inconsistent along with the hygroscopic alchohol added to help attract moisture ? ill never figure that one out

13 minutes ago, Airboss/oc said:

its possible to have contaminates get past filter and clog injector but you might have a fuel pressure problem instead. remove line from throttle body and check flow by turning on key, if flow is good and no air in system the injector might be problem. next time you store a vehicle fill tank with race gas as pump fuel is crap and inconsistent along with the hygroscopic alchohol added to help attract moisture ? ill never figure that one out

I agree about the fuel. The P.O. said he didn't ride it much and had a half tank of gas I had a strong feeling that the gas broke down.

Good advice on the fuel pump. I will check it out and report back.

Well...if you think its flooded...I wouldn't think that you have a fuel pump pressure problem 'cause you are clearly getting too much gas...not too little.

To see if it is flooding...when the engine is cold, try and start it a number times...then pull the plug...if its wet you're flooding....if not I would have the injector cleaned before you shell out the $$ for a new one. 

This link will take you to a shop that specializes in fuel injector service and is owned by a KTM rider (a frequent poster on KtmTalk)...he has an excellent reputation.   www.proflowtech.com

If the PO was leaving it for extended periods of time with just regular pump gas in it, its quite possible you have a varnish accumulation on the injector..this could easily result in starting problems.

My bike gets stored for 5-6 months every year (sadly) because of winter.  To keep the gas usable I just fill the tank (prevents moisture accumulation thru condensation) and then I add gas conditioner and run it for two minutes to make sure the conditioner is thru the entire fuel system.  Every spring the bike fires up and runs well... no problem. 

The other good thing to do if your storing it (after filling tank and adding fuel conditioner)..is to start it up every few weeks and warm it up.  This ensures that no build up can accumulate on the injector.

Not starting can sometimes be tough to trace...start with the cheap and easy stuff first before you head down the expensive rabbit hole....good luck.

Hey guys I wanted to give you an update. The bike starts now, I think it just needed the injector cleared out. The fresh gas with injector cleaner seems to have done the trick as the bike starts relatively easily now. It just needs a new battery.

Thanks everyone for your advice.