2018 300RR or XC-W I'm torn

1 hour ago, Goatse said:

It's well known the Betas have a (too) wide 2-3 gap. Aside from fork quality, I'd say that's my #2 gripe with the bike, and you'll see a ton of reviews that claim the same. Guys shift their sprocket gearing around based on that fact.

P.S. Quit being so sensitive about your videos. You're reading into my comment too much.

That’s not a gap. .. but you rather a 5 speed? My gearing is stock . I have extra sprockets to change but no need. As far as my vids Im just addressing your post. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

2 hours ago, Sierra_rider said:

I've got both Marzocchi PFP's and CC Sachs tuned by Stillwell. Both are good performing forks, although the 'Zokes are better performing forks for me. I'd be totally happy with both, if it wasn't for the anodizing issue that both forks clearly have. I don't have enough hours on the CC Sachs to form a first-hand opinion on the longevity, but at around 230 hours, the coating finally failed on my 'zokes. I love the bike and the chassis, but totally pissed that Beta continues to offer suspension that has a long-history of premature wear issues. Just throw Kyb's on there from the factory and quit dealing with these issues. 

As far as OC Sachs, anyone who says they're just as good as Kyb's either hasn't ridden CC forks or is a slow rider.

Wow Sierra, I think you win for the most hours on Zoke 48s.  My buddy's went a little over 100 and i thought that was long. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Goatse said:

It's well known the Betas have a (too) wide 2-3 gap. Aside from fork quality, I'd say that's my #2 gripe with the bike, and you'll see a ton of reviews that claim the same. Guys shift their sprocket gearing around based on that fact.

P.S. Quit being so sensitive about your videos. You're reading into my comment too much.

For what it's worth, Beta has a smaller 2-3 gap than the XC-W but a larger gap than the XC.  

Edited by Chas_M
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, mountainmanid said:

The beta is more comparable to the XC-W than the XC. It’s frustrating listening to people complain about a bike not being what it was never designed to be.

If Beta owners didn’t think their bikes were the 2nd coming of Christ you wouldn’t have people complaining?

28 minutes ago, mountainmanid said:

The beta is more comparable to the XC-W than the XC. It’s frustrating listening to people complain about a bike not being what it was never designed to be.

The gear ratios on Beta are still semi close and not a big gap especially toward the top like a w. Still I wouldn’t race a w for mx. With a Beta you can. With an xc you can. Betas have a one model bike that is very versatile. The xc is ktms version of a one bike do all bike. Beta you configure on bike for technical extreme to mx to desert if you like. It’s strip down toward whatever type of racing you like. Ktm just makes a bunch of different models of bike for each discipline. Beta like ktm is winning extreme enduro, desert racing, endurocross, mx even.. just watch Brad freeman and Steve Holcombe Johnny Aubert etc in racing for E3. I don’t know how comparable the gear ratios are between the the xc and Beta but Im very happy with Betas spread of ratios. I just ended up leaving my stock sprockets.

The gear ratios on Beta are still semi close and not a big gap especially toward the top like a w. Still I wouldn’t race a w for mx. With a Beta you can. With an xc you can. Betas have a one model bike that is very versatile. The xc is ktms version of a one bike do all bike. Beta you configure on bike for technical extreme to mx to desert if you like. It’s strip down toward whatever type of racing you like. Ktm just makes a bunch of different models of bike for each discipline. Beta like ktm is winning extreme enduro, desert racing, endurocross, mx even.. just watch Brad freeman and Steve Holcombe Johnny Aubert etc in racing for E3. I don’t know how comparable the gear ratios are between the the xc and Beta but Im very happy with Betas spread of ratios. I just ended up leaving my stock sprockets.

Having owned all three the beta is most like a w in gearing, engine tuning,suspension, headlight, taillight, ect. I also think the w is just as capable on a mx track as the beta. (Most certainly not my first, second, or third choice for that application) but the Beta just plain kicks butt in the gnarly.  

• Like 1

Well then  I guess maybe I would race a w in mx if it’s like a beta spread ratios. Beta isn’t gappy at all to me. For gnarly Beta is perfect or great at least. I liked older gasgas for gnarly too . Seat height not too tall either. Beta is great in hookup and overall handling as well .  All the 300 2 stroke enduro bikes work well . As so simple as it is the lowest seat height is a huge advantage for gnar. To me it’s dumb that more brands just don’t match Betas lower seat height.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1