• Announcements

gr4vitas

2018 300RR or XC-W I'm torn

179 posts in this topic

In the New England rocks suspension is everything.  No way in hell will a stock bike of any brand be optimal.  I ride the same type of terrain and after many bikes of different brands for over 20 years in this area I never had one that I was happy with stock.  New bike fever is another matter, but speed and confidence in the rocks will have to be dealt with on a new bike too.  You can't look at suspension like a constant, its a variable like jetting that must be adjusted.

3 minutes ago, ktm300 said:

Bums me out the Beta seems to be struggling a bit with that CC fork, and then GG shows up with a KYB.  

The Beta with a off road valved KYB fork is incredible.     

Yeah, well said.  Beta needs to go KYB and make the choice a no brainer.  Hell, even little TM sources them.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, ktm300 said:

Bums me out the Beta seems to be struggling a bit with that CC fork, and then GG shows up with a KYB.  

The Beta with a off road valved KYB fork is incredible.     

Why should it burn you? Anyone can put a variety of fork mods and different forks on Betas.   Beta has choices that all the other brands don’t have . As far as sachs goes.. Holcombe won the last 2 world championships on the stock sachs cc forks. But guys can put ohlins or kyb or whatever forks if they want and all setup for your weight . It’s great that there’s another choice in gasgas and husky and ktm. It would have sucked to lose husky and gasgas as they were gone without being brought back. 

1 hour ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

I thought there was no debate from those that rode with beta factory s:smirk:uspension 

Ha Ha, I just meant there's been big debates if people think it's worth it to get it done from Beta Factory Suspension from new. I didnt want to start that again! 

Personally If I where buying a bike I would have it done and start out with good suspension I don't have to screw with. 

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, ccullins said:

Ha Ha, I just meant there's been big debates if people think it's worth it to get it done from Beta Factory Suspension from new. I didnt want to start that again! 

Personally If I where buying a bike I would have it done and start out with good suspension I don't have to screw with. 

Yea well a whole bunch gave me shit for just saying that :lol: 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

58 minutes ago, GP said:

Yeah, well said.  Beta needs to go KYB and make the choice a no brainer.  Hell, even little TM sources them.

It's not going to happen. Beta owns or owns part of Sachs. Not sure exactly what the exact deal is. But think it's pretty similar to KTM and WP. That's why the first year that Zokes stopped being built Sachs had CC forks for the Race Edtions that just happened to be red. 

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, ccullins said:

It's not going to happen. Beta owns or owns part of Sachs. Not sure exactly what the exact deal is. But think it's pretty similar to KTM and WP. That's why the first year that Zokes stopped being built Sachs had CC forks for the Race Edtions that just happened to be red. 

Yeah, wishful thinking.  I know it won't happen, but primarily because they sell everything they make with Sachs, for now anyway.  I don't know about Beta owning them, I thought Sachs was much bigger than that, an auto suspension supplier.  Probably more like a joint venture for the fork project, with exclusive rights for use/distribution.  Regardless, they need to clean up their act with current quality and parts pricing/structuring.  Its like the Zoke 48 all over again.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, GP said:

Rumor is Sherco will be following trend. KTM doesn't want to help the competition and for me a welcome change.

The KYB on the new GG feels pretty good. The new GG package overall is a great bike. They did good. 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, ckny said:

The KYB on the new GG feels pretty good. The new GG package overall is a great bike. They did good. 

It may be ok? Good? Im glad some feel this way because it gives gasgas a better chance to stay in business. The reality is this is a fledgling company just starting out. It’s looking like they are hiring good people on the riding racing side but will gasgas last? Good luck trying to sell a used Gasgas even the newest. It’s got a taller seat height and looks like a ktm and still has the shit design estart. I know it’s a wok in progress. But honestly given the choices of bikes to buy in the 2 stroke 300 class it’s a step above the bottom TM 5 speed non estart bike. The only part that might help is if gasgas gives a decent discount. Still I can barely give my gasgas 300 away.. and it’s a good bike for it’s age. 

Actually U think the better comparison for buying a new bike is between the husky 300 TE and the new Beta 300. The husky is nicer looking than the ktm and it has a link. The race edition 300 Beta still wins for me.

gasgas is a huge roll of the dice. 

Lets see Beta has a hundred years in business and gasgas has what 2?

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

On 2/7/2018 at 1:28 PM, YHGEORGE said:

Is the inner wear on the fork tubes universal and some are just not checking/inspecting close enough or is it just a small pct of the forks?

As far as I know all of the 16 and 17 forks had this issue. It was worse on the CC forks. I have a 15 and just bought a set of 18 CC forks. I'm crossing my fingers. I could never get the OC forks to do both race pace and tech without deflecting.  I'm not super picky about suspension except deflecting

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, jpbova said:

As far as I know all of the 16 and 17 forks had this issue. It was worse on the CC forks. I have a 15 and just bought a set of 18 CC forks. I'm crossing my fingers. I could never get the OC forks to do both race pace and tech without deflecting.  I'm not super picky about suspension except deflecting

The 18 CC forks still deflect. 

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, ckny said:

The 18 CC forks still deflect. 

You've ridden the 18 Race forks?   How are they?

2 minutes ago, jpbova said:

You've ridden the 18 Race forks?   How are they?

OC feels better, CC didn’t notice much difference. Maybe more time comparing the two you could notice. 

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, ckny said:

OC feels better, CC didn’t notice much difference. Maybe more time comparing the two you could notice. 

Wonder if the CC forks were broken in yet. That was the only time my buddy complained about deflecting 

3 minutes ago, jpbova said:

Wonder if the CC forks were broken in yet. That was the only time my buddy complained about deflecting 

Could be. I can’t say I’ve ever ridden a Beta with CC forks that didn’t deflect. I guess honestly even my KYB stock forks  deflected off certain things. My riding bud just dropped a lot of cash on his 17RE suspension and we both think it’s main issue is deflection. Especially off rock, square edge and roots. That could also be a tuning thing. Love Beta, great bikes, hope the suspension becomes as good as the motor and chassis some time soon. 

4 people like this

After a long awaited back and forth with Beta USA they just warrantied my 17’ OC fork tubes that had significant wear on both sides. Interesting thing is they warrantied them with the red CC tubes. Once I have the tubes in hand they are getting shipped immediately to Steve at after hour cycles for a hard coat. Definitely not risking this again.

4 people like this

4 minutes ago, NW_drZ said:

After a long awaited back and forth with Beta USA they warrantied my 17’ OC fork tubes that had significant wear on both sides. Interesting thing is they warrantied them with the red CC tubes. Once I have the tubes in hand they are getting shipped immediately to Steve at after hour cycles for a hard coat. Definitely not risking this again.

You are one of the first that I have heard of that beta warrantied the tubes. I'm tempted to the get 18 forks hard coated too but I'm holding out hoping beta fixed the problem.   You are smart to have Steve hard coat them right away

2 people like this

You are one of the first that I have heard of that beta warrantied the tubes. I'm tempted to the get 18 forks hard coated too but I'm holding out hoping beta fixed the problem.   You are smart to have Steve hard coat them right away

My local tuner was not surprised when I told him about my fork wear. Said he sees it a lot. May be worth calling around you to see if any 18s have come through yet and exhibit this. Probably to early though. If the 18’s were fixed I’d imagine Beta would of sent me those, but they didn’t mention anything about the tubes being of the 18’ build.