Cargo trailer roof flat vs rounded? Roof vents? General experiences and opinions.

Thinking bout buying a 7x14 cargo trailer to use as a toy hauler/camper and can’t decide on what kind of roof to get? So the obvious is the rounded roof will be less likely to leak but I like the extra storage of the v-nose and they only come in the flat roofs. Flat tops also seem to be a lot more common also. Has anybody had any real problems with the flat roofs leaking? Also,are roof vents prone to leaking? I have noticed that most have very thin metal roofs with 24” O.C. crossmembers,how in the heck do you work on/instal a roof vent when the roof is to weak to even lay on?Looking for general tips and opinions on cargo trailers. Thx

Edited by rcers538
More
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, rcers538 said:

Thinking bout buying a 7x14 cargo trailer to use as a toy hauler/camper and can’t decide on what kind of roof to get? So the obvious is the rounded roof will be less likely to leak but I like the extra storage of the v-nose and they only come in the flat roofs. Flat tops also seem to be a lot more common also. Has anybody had any real problems with the flat roofs leaking? Also,are roof vents prone to leaking? I have noticed that most have very thin metal roofs with 24” O.C. crossmembers,how in the heck do you work on/instal a roof vent when the roof is to weak to even lay on?Looking for general tips and opinions on cargo trailers. Thx

Almost all of the cargo trailer dealers can order you a trailer with the roof framed in for vents or an air conditioner at a very slight extra cost. Also spending the few dollars ordering an RV door and a window is worthwhile if you're going to stay in it. 

• Like 1

You can up grade to 16" on center roofs, if that's not standard. I have an all alluminum 16" on center for all framing. If I'd have ordered I'd have gotten RV door with screen, 2 windows, and 2 roof vents front and rear. I'd also have moved the door closer to axle.

Flat vrs curved just basically looks, some will claim pros of one over the other.

A roof top AC uses a 14x14 hole same as roof vent. So if AC is needed you can upgrade to it.

The vents should have fans & power.

If your getting a CT with plywood installed demand screws not the dreaded screw nails.

Bite the bullet and buy one from a dealer. I spent a few more dollars than I would have liked to but can't be happier. The time to build it yourself cuts deeply into the riding time. 
KIMG0217.jpg.e74d1427d591d03621df803e06aa68a8.jpg

Or get one that will fit 1000 motorcycles, and lots of girlfriends. [emoji41] 20171215_160416.jpg
  • Like 2

6X12,,,7X12? A friend got a 7X12 and it really made a difference. And you need to explain that wooden ceiling Mr Padilen. Another bed that lowers?
I got a hubby I don't know about?[emoji6].
Yes it's a drop down double bed, with memory foam mattress. Garage door springs help lift it. My bed can be lowered to second from lowest setting with my TW under bed. I haven't tested with my new to me DRZ. My CTC can actual hold both I'd just need to mount extra tie down. My build and others are on the TnTTT forum, I don't have any other pics on this phone. And while I did most of the mods myself, I have to look at my TnTTT posts to remember. I was struggling to live at the time. I was waiting nearly 3 years for heart surgery. I literally do not know how I did it.

Here's something you can do that very handy, if you plan to carry more than one bike.  This is my 6x12 trailer with a fold-out bed.  The trailer carries three bikes, but since the bed folds outward, you can sleep in it without removing bikes.  Very handy on a long trip....stop at a rest stop or Walmart, flip out the bed (takes about 5-7 minutes for one person), toss on the mattress and crawl in.  The cover folds out with it, the windows have screens and roll-up rain covers for the windows.  It barely protrudes into the trailer....maybe 3-4 inches....and has a snap-on cover for the inside of the trailer so all the bits stay out of the way.  I am 6'1" 200lbs and had no trouble getting in and out or fitting into the bed.  The original owner worked at a local trailer manufacturer and they helped with the install.  

Photo #1  Outside view.  Two locking handles fold out of the way, and you lower the bedroom.

Photo #2  Inside view of the snap-on cover, which rolls up out of the way.  Behind it is the whole thing...bed base, sides, windows, etc.  It's all one piece....no assembly required.

Photo #3  Outside with the 'bedroom' out and ready to go. 

Photo #4  Inside view of the bedroom.  The only assembly is to insert the wire center strut and keeps the roof tight....no sag.  There are two steel cables that support the bed.  You can see one diagonally across the left window.

Photo #5  Interior of trailer.  The wheel chocks are offset in the front so the handlebars don't hit, and the one in rear means that bike is pushed up the ramp backwards.  

This is just some food for thought on how you can modify your trailer to make things convenient.

Trailer 001.jpg

Trailer 005.jpg

Trailer 009.jpg

Trailer 011.jpg

Trailer 006.jpg

Edited by MotoMac
Forgot a couple of things, corrected spelling.
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Padilen said:

I got a hubby I don't know about?emoji6.png.
Yes it's a drop down double bed, with memory foam mattress. Garage door springs help lift it. My bed can be lowered to second from lowest setting with my TW under bed. I haven't tested with my new to me DRZ. My CTC can actual hold both I'd just need to mount extra tie down. My build and others are on the TnTTT forum, I don't have any other pics on this phone. And while I did most of the mods myself, I have to look at my TnTTT posts to remember. I was struggling to live at the time. I was waiting nearly 3 years for heart surgery. I literally do not know how I did it.

Thank you. I'm sure you had some help getting thru that time, hope you know who it was.  I'll look at the other forum, never heard of it. Hoping you enjoy many many many good times with the trailer, sure is a nice one and you should be proud of yourself. Oops about the Mr thing, now I know you are a special young Lady. ?

Edited by YHGEORGE

12 hours ago, MotoMac said:

Here's something you can do that very handy, if you plan to carry more than one bike.  This is my 6x12 trailer with a fold-out bed.  The trailer carries three bikes, but since the bed folds outward, you can sleep in it without removing bikes.  Very handy on a long trip....stop at a rest stop or Walmart, flip out the bed (takes about 5-7 minutes for one person), toss on the mattress and crawl in.  The cover folds out with it, the windows have screens and roll-up rain covers for the windows.  It barely protrudes into the trailer....maybe 3-4 inches....and has a snap-on cover for the inside of the trailer so all the bits stay out of the way.  I am 6'1" 200lbs and had no trouble getting in and out or fitting into the bed.  The original owner worked at a local trailer manufacturer and they helped with the install.  

Photo #1  Outside view.  Two locking handles fold out of the way, and you lower the bedroom.

Photo #2  Inside view of the snap-on cover, which rolls up out of the way.  Behind it is the whole thing...bed base, sides, windows, etc.  It's all one piece....no assembly required.

Photo #3  Outside with the 'bedroom' out and ready to go. 

Photo #4  Inside view of the bedroom.  The only assembly is to insert the wire center strut and keeps the roof tight....no sag.  There are two steel cables that support the bed.  You can see one diagonally across the left window.

Photo #5  Interior of trailer.  The wheel chocks are offset in the front so the handlebars don't hit, and the one in rear means that bike is pushed up the ramp backwards.  

This is just some food for thought on how you can modify your trailer to make things convenient.

Trailer 001.jpg

Trailer 005.jpg

Trailer 009.jpg

Trailer 011.jpg

Trailer 006.jpg

YeeHaw!!! Amazing how things work out sometime. I need a road trip bad and you have the perfect excuse. I hustle up there at snowmelt, we go riding for a couple days. Then I load my bike up in that trailer and come back home with a huge smile on my face. You smile at me driving off with a wad of cash in your hands with ideas swirling around in your head about the new trailer you will have built with a couple upgrades you have been dreaming about. So, two new buddies happily planning for the future. I am also 6'1" and 200 so this just has to be part our greater plan. Like I said, amazing!

Edited by YHGEORGE

Thank you. I'm sure you had some help getting thru that time, hope you know who it was.  I'll look at the other forum, never heard of it. Hoping you enjoy many many many good times with the trailer, sure is a nice one and you should be proud of yourself. Oops about the Mr thing, now I know you are a special young Lady. [emoji106]
I'm an old lady, that was nice of you.
Yes I know Him, and yes He has me.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:45 AM, rcers538 said:

One, great size.  I have a 6x10 rounded roof.  I've never had a problem leaking and it's like 15 years old.  I've had to replace the dome a couple of times but that's relatively easy.  My only regret is the size.  With two bikes, 6' is rather narrow, but it works.  And it's JUST long enough but 4 more feet would be wonderful.