American dirt bikes?

I was watching Supercross last night (2016 final race in Vegas (It’s incredible if you haven’t seen it) and it dawned on me that there isn’t an American dirt bike. With the USA probably having the greatest race culture in the world, I’m puzzled as to why there isn’t a “Made in the USA” bike.

• Like 3

As per usual I should’ve consulted Google before posting ?

What I meant though is that there’s no American bikes in high level motocross or enduro. The US sure manufacturers awesome parts and accessories, just no popular bikes.

3 minutes ago, Adam ES said:

Yeah so many of those on the track, I've always wondered the same thing. If they there was a U.S bike it would be like a Harley way over rated and a lot of posers riding them.

Harley made a dirt bike!

Can-Am, ATK/Cannondale, Harley, I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple, all produced bikes made in the USA (North America at least). All before my time, minus the Cannondale of course, but I've gotten to ride a few Can-Am's, and a Cannondale, and all were extremely lack luster. But they do have a ton of "cool factor". 

harley.jpg

4 minutes ago, North Van Man said:

As per usual I should’ve consulted Google before posting :)

What I meant though is that there’s no American bikes in high level motocross or enduro. The US sure manufacturers awesome parts and accessories, just no popular bikes.

The Alta is made in the USA, and I believe they have a guy in Endurocross. I think we'll be seeing more of them in the next few years. 

• Like 6

Harley made a dirt bike!
Can-Am, ATK/Cannondale, Harley, I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple, all produced bikes made in the USA (North America at least). All before my time, minus the Cannondale of course, but I've gotten to ride a few Can-Am's, and a Cannondale, and all were extremely lack luster. But they do have a ton of "cool factor". 
harley.jpg.60a92c0ea162b705e425c32f7c68189a.jpg

I do remember the Atks, canondales, and I've seen Harleys. And help me out here a vormati some thing like that, pretty sure that wasn't American but what happened to that thing I remember reading about that in dirt bike mag years ago.

Yeah so many of those on the track, I've always wondered the same thing. If they there was a U.S bike it would be like a Harley way over rated and a lot of posers riding them.

Ya I know,just took me back to my childhood, 406 baby!pretty crappy bikes from my memory.

7 minutes ago, Adam ES said:

I do remember the Atks, canondales, and I've seen Harleys. And help me out here a vormati some thing like that, pretty sure that wasn't American but what happened to that thing I remember reading about that in dirt bike mag years ago.

You're are thinking of VOR!!! (Vertemati). Not really sure where they went, but I know they were Italian. If I remember correctly, those things were like $12,000 back in 2003!!!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MindBlower said:

Harley never made a dirt bike in the US that I'm aware of. They imported Italian bikes and rebadged them for quite a few years. 

Makes sense, I just made an assumption on that one. Those things were wayyy before my time and from what I've heard, that's a great thing. Hahahaha