Oil in gas

Hey guys . I feel like I post here way to much lol 

anyway after having my bike kn it’s side overnight to fix a cracked stator cover .... I come to find out that I also accidentally left the pet cock in the prime position .... constant gas flow to carb ... now my oil smells strongly of gas ... my question is ... was it the bike being on its side that made the gas get into the oil or the prime position on petcock that made this happen ? Or both ? I didn’t ride it much at all after discovering... I assume. I should drain the oil obviously but any other suggestions ? Always appreciated -mark 

18 minutes ago, Markl5557 said:

Hey guys . I feel like I post here way to much lol 

anyway after having my bike kn it’s side overnight to fix a cracked stator cover .... I come to find out that I also accidentally left the pet cock in the prime position .... constant gas flow to carb ... now my oil smells strongly of gas ... my question is ... was it the bike being on its side that made the gas get into the oil or the prime position on petcock that made this happen ? Or both ? I didn’t ride it much at all after discovering... I assume. I should drain the oil obviously but any other suggestions ? Always appreciated -mark 

Two fold
On prime the gas flow and static pressure was present at the float needle and should not have been. 
The needle, or the needle seat leaked.
Change the oil and filter
Check the needle for damage or trash, replace the needle seat O ring
Dont leave the fuel petcock on prime.

1 minute ago, Erik Marquez said:

Two fold
On prime the gas flow and static pressure was present at the float needle and should not have been. 

Needle seat o ring could have got damaged that easily ?

3 minutes ago, Erik Marquez said:

Two fold

Really hoping to just change oil and filter and call it a day the bike has 20 miles on it 

With the bike leaned over the float couldn't shut the fuel off like it's supposed to and let it keep flowing . If the petcock was in the "on" or "res"position it wouldn't have done this . With only 20 miles on the thing the needle seat o-ring will be fine thus far . Just drain all the oil from all the standard spots and put in fresh stuff along with a filter and go for a fairly long ride to burn off any little bit of extra fuel that might be left and your good to go . No need for multiple oil changes , just don't beat on it at first till any fumes are gone if that's even necessary . 

10 minutes ago, jjktmrider said:

With the bike leaned over the float couldn't shut the fuel off like it's supposed to and let it keep flowing . If the petcock was in the "on" or "res"position it wouldn't have done this . With only 20 miles on the thing the needle seat o-ring will be fine thus far . Just drain all the oil from all the standard spots and put in fresh stuff along with a filter and go for a fairly long ride to burn off any little bit of extra fuel that might be left and your good to go . No need for multiple oil changes , just don't beat on it at first till any fumes are gone if that's even necessary . 

Thanks very much I appreciate the reply man

Needle seat o ring could have got damaged that easily ?

The needle seat can get a small bit of trash in it
Or a small spot of crud from gas left too long in carb
The seat O ring will get hard and leak after a few years or less. It is a common and known issue with today’s gas just like fuel deposits in carb after just a few months of letting it sit
17 hours ago, Markl5557 said:

Thanks very much I appreciate the reply man

Just wanted to let you no did what you said very minimal smell of gas so im assuming only vapor left thanks again 

18 hours ago, jjktmrider said:

Meant to quote you in below post see the one below it was meant for you