Oversized Gas Tank “ Post your Pics”

I’ve been looking for a bigger tank for my 04 kx250. Need a little more fuel for longer rides! 

I don’t care for the look of the white gas tanks, I’d like to see some pics of different tanks! 

Pls post your pics so I can see what they look like, I see a Clarke makes Green, White & Black but can’t find any pics online. Let me know what your thoughts are for the best Tank! They are expensive so I’d thought I’d do a little research 1st

Don’t think that’s practical when you’re hauling on the trails.. Does anyone have a pic of a black oversized tank?.:ride:

10 hours ago, flyinghigh32 said:

Don’t think that’s practical when you’re hauling on the trails.. Does anyone have a pic of a black oversized tank?.:ride:

Many buy clear to see how much remains. Black defeats that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 92rmx250 said:

20180208_130208.jpg my 03 with ims clear

That looks awesome! I just ordered the IMS off eBay for 180$, I’ll post a pic when I get it on the bike later this week. 

What sort of mileage do you think you get out of the 3.1G tank? I could do about 35-40mi at 1000’ above sea level on my stock tank.

That looks awesome! I just ordered the IMS off eBay for 180$, I’ll post a pic when I get it on the bike later this week. 

What sort of mileage do you think you get out of the 3.1G tank? I could do about 35-40mi at 1000’ above sea level on my stock tank.

Thanks taken me quite a while to tidy this bike up. I couldn't tell you unfortunately haven't been able to ride the bike that's why it's so clean I came off my down hill mountain bike a broke my shoulder tore my rotator cuff and pulled the ligaments off so bikes waiting for me

Just installed the IMS fuel tank... 

It Did Not just bolt right on! Had to cut down the brackets it came with to get it to fit around some of the wiring. Plus the radiator shroud holes are slightly off the tank holes, therefore when bolting the plastics on tight they slightly warp. I'm sure i'll have to take them off again and try to get them to fit snug. Might have to file down some plastic to get them to fit better.. still not sure yet.. Anyone have this issue with their IMS tank?? 

Looks good, cant wait to ride & see how many miles I can go!

EB83D0E6-14B1-4E7B-897C-6D7E92D71147.jpeg

C31AE514-6619-4CA3-ADE5-F3072D10B0B0.jpeg

1C99A175-5259-474F-B1E6-A0626A8F912E.jpeg

Just installed the IMS fuel tank... 
It Did Not just bolt right on! Had to cut down the brackets it came with to get it to fit around some of the wiring. Plus the radiator shroud holes are slightly off the tank holes, therefore when bolting the plastics on tight they slightly warp. I'm sure i'll have to take them off again and try to get them to fit snug. Might have to file down some plastic to get them to fit better.. still not sure yet.. Anyone have this issue with their IMS tank?? 

Looks good, cant wait to ride & see how many miles I can go!

EB83D0E6-14B1-4E7B-897C-6D7E92D71147.jpeg.7d3f98ba3b49e33e8ebdb95bfe646385.jpeg
C31AE514-6619-4CA3-ADE5-F3072D10B0B0.thumb.jpeg.349f728e34c21e60af25a9376f7e7849.jpeg
1C99A175-5259-474F-B1E6-A0626A8F912E.thumb.jpeg.a6c56c06629ffee0f22d416a6b8579df.jpeg

Yea mine didn't "fit" perfect I had issues with the right side hole had to file out the bracket hole and remove rubber cover and just tape bracket to get it to work tank was sitting hard down so who knows my plastics didn't warp though

I've run both the IMS and the Clarke. I personally much prefer the fit and feel of the IMS, especially when riding. The bottom shroud bolts do become a tough fit, using a t handle makes it easier though.

I swap the stock tank and IMS back and forth. Extra petcock is nice. I had to order a new rubber gasket from IMS so I ordered a couple to keep a spare.

I had no fitment issues or modifications needed. Tank swap is super quick.

I think the clear looks cool!

I have had to "wiggle" the shrouds on every IMS tank I have installed.  Some more than others.  Usually I can get away with just a little bit of heat with the hair dryer on the initial install of the shrouds and it is all good.  On more than one bike I have had to trim (or more blatantly cut) the shrouds to get things lined up.

I don't worry about it too much, as I have also seen the same thing with Clarke tanks.  I consider it the part of the price to play with the larger tank putting fuel where the OEM didn't want it.

Just curious what year is your kx ? As I know the ims tanks go 03/04 then change for the 05 and up

2007. The first two pics are the same bike. The 3rd pick with the Clarke is my first 07 that I had.

I just prefer the way the IMS fits between my legs while riding/racing.