1996 Dr350

I’m back to update on the Dr project and see if anyone has any answers to an issue I’ve noticed. So I got it running, got a used head and fresh gaskets. But I ended up pulling the valve cover off cause I did a poor job of sealing it with three bond and I noticed the exhaust tappet/cam lobe is slightly scratched/discolored. This is probably a Stupid question because I’m pretty sure it came from oil starvation because the oil level dropped to about half on the dipstick due to a oil hose tearing from the pressure I think but I was thinking it could be something else too since everyone talks about the dr’s having a head prone to oil starvation. I cleaned up the marks you could feel with some 800 grit wet sanding with 10w30 and it cleaned up ok so I’m not too worried.

Yep, watch your oil level. Low level will kill the cam journals & a replacement head is getting up in $$$$$

I also have a 1996 DR350,  (350-T)  the trail (off road) model with kick start only.  i'm having trouble finding the correct torque for the front axle, and the axle 'block' with the 4 little nuts that holds the RH side of the axle on.  Any idea what the torque is supposed to be for the front axle?  ( and the 4 little axle block nuts) ?  Thanks! 

20 minutes ago, confederateJACK said:

I also have a 1996 DR350,  (350-T)  the trail (off road) model with kick start only.  i'm having trouble finding the correct torque for the front axle, and the axle 'block' with the 4 little nuts that holds the RH side of the axle on.  Any idea what the torque is supposed to be for the front axle?  ( and the 4 little axle block nuts) ?  Thanks! 

I think you can find a shop manual on http://www.thisoldtractor.com. 

Suzuki says 36-58 ft-lbs on the front axle and 4.5-6.0 ft-lbs on the four clamp bolts, with a note to tighten the nuts on the up side first.

Edited by GlennRay

Be very careful. Those four little nuts are very low torque 7 to 10 foot lbs. All they do is stabilize the front axle. That larger number is for the actual axle. Put a little blue loctite on to keep from loosening don't over tighten you will break them off

16 hours ago, Jmingst said:

Be very careful. Those four little nuts are very low torque 7 to 10 foot lbs. All they do is stabilize the front axle. That larger number is for the actual axle. Put a little blue loctite on to keep from loosening don't over tighten you will break them off

Yeah I used the recommended torque for the axle and used blue Loctite on the pitch nuts (with about 7-8 lbs of torque) also marked the nuts with a dot of paint marker to make it easy to notice if they happen to back out a little over time. Seem to be doing fine so far, with about 30miles on my new tire.   Thanks for taking the time to reply, it is appreciated. 

Yeah I used the recommended torque for the axle and used blue Loctite on the pitch nuts (with about 7-8 lbs of torque) also marked the nuts with a dot of paint marker to make it easy to notice if they happen to back out a little over time. Seem to be doing fine so far, with about 30miles on my new tire.   Thanks for taking the time to reply, it is appreciated. 
Good info. Anyone have the torque value for the axle it's self? Thanks, G.
6 hours ago, PaydayGabe said:

Good info. Anyone have the torque value for the axle it's self? Thanks, G.emoji106.pngemoji41.png

Suzuki dealership told me 36-58 ft-lbs of torque for the front axle itself,   from what I've searched online that seems to pretty much be the standard torque value recommended for front axle on 1990's DR models (SE dual sport version or very early 90's models may be different i'm not sure)  all the info I search for is typically based on the mid to late 90's DR Dirt or trail model's like the  T, S or X models.  I used 48-50 lbs on mine and marked a dot on it with paint pen.  It has not backed out at all after approx. 40miles of road and trail riding, and performs as it should with no issues. I know sometimes the SE electric start 'dual sport' models have different tech-specs than the off road and trail models, but everything I've found online (as well as Suzuki service dept.) says 36-58 foot pounds of torque for the front axle itself (for my '96 dr350-T, and like models).  I had the block and (4) 'pitch' bolts mounted and only just barely  'wrench snug' before torque of axle, just so the forks and axle would fall into correct position, and the axle threads would be lined up with the threaded mate side fork correctly,  then I backed off on (4) pitch bolts a turn or two so axle could turn easily and then I torqued my axle to spec.  Final torque of the (4) pitch bolts last.  (just included some details for anyone who may run across this later at some point and benefit from the info)