In winter riding XT stalls, then works fine after 10 minutes of inactivity

Hello.

This scenario have happened several time already. After a few hours of riding bike suddenly stalls, then won't start. New plug doesn't help. After some time, around 10 minutes, bike will start fine. Then sometimes it will ride fine, sometimes will stall again after short time. Below is a video of one of the incidents. I own this bike from October and this is my first 2t. This only happened in weather with temperatures below freezing and snow on the ground. Bike is jetted for this weather according to the book, but I have fresco pipe, not the stock one, so this may affect jetting I suppose. In the fall book jetting worked fine. Also this always happens after riding some time in 3rd gear or higher and in mid to high rpm. I always fully warm bike up before riding.

What do you guys think? Is this jetting issue or carb icing? 

Thanks.

A mate of mine used to add rubbing alcohol to the fuel of his zx9 that used to suffer from carb icing in the fog. Not sure if it's safe with a plastic tank, you'd need to look into that.

Check the vent on the gas cap, or remove it all together.  It's a common problem which I imagine could be worse in cold weather. 

Your carburetor is icing for sure.  

Guys have been running all sorts of carburetor heaters, some already plumbed, some are making jackets for the carburetors while some are getting by with just an engine jacket which keeps more heat around the carburetor to lessen or eliminate the problem altogether.  

Keeping heat in the motor and the carburetor from icing is the "dance" that many are having to deal with in the extreme cold and when riding in the deep powder.  

Check out the engine jackets here, not sure if they make one for the XT though:  http://www.powersportstech.com/pst-engine-jackets.html

1 hour ago, Danceswithtrees said:

Check the vent on the gas cap, or remove it all together.  It's a common problem which I imagine could be worse in cold weather. 

This.  Not Beta specific either, had it happen on a GG and Suzuki.

Also check the vent lines on the carb, they will collect moisture and freeze sealing them off then the bowl will not fill.

Guys, thanks for the answers!

23 hours ago, Danceswithtrees said:

Funny you mention this, I'm pretty sure on all incidents I have opened tank out of desperation to check actual gas level. It may explain why bike will run fine after some time (actually after tank is opened and pressure is equalized). My tank cap is always hard to unscrew because of the pressurization, but I still can blew through the cap in both directions with my mouth.

21 hours ago, mtdirtbag said:

Also check the vent lines on the carb, they will collect moisture and freeze sealing them off then the bowl will not fill.

Yeah, next time I'll check that bowl is filling with gas (vents are clear and tank not pressurized). Thanks.

This. Reroute the upper vent lines so they aren't hanging below the bike. My first ride in deep snow with my RR had similar issues.

You can see here where they're routed along the subframe, then drop down into the holes that are already there.
20171210_170911.jpg

I also vote for the gas cap vent. My Xtrainer had a buggy vent. Rode for a few hours and when the fuel level was low, the bike would starve, and was VERY noticeable when on the road (50+ MPH) opening up the throttle. It would die, then come back after a few seconds.

It took me a while to figure out. I thought it was a plugged carb, but finally I ended up removing the gas cap, and checking the vent manually with a clean tube to blow/suck on. YEP vent not allowing air into tank. I pulled it out of the cap vent green piece, (used clean rubber gloves to get a grip on it). I cleaned it and put it back together, and voila, it now vents correctly during testing. I'll know for sure in a couple months, or whenever the snow melts and it's not freezing outside.

Edited by ToolmanJohn
13 hours ago, ToolmanJohn said:

I also vote for the gas cap vent. My Xtrainer had a buggy vent. Rode for a few hours and when the fuel level was low, the bike would starve, and was VERY noticeable when on the road (50+ MPH) opening up the throttle. It would die, then come back after a few seconds.

It took me a while to figure out. I thought it was a plugged carb, but finally I ended up removing the gas cap, and checking the vent manually with a clean tube to blow/suck on. YEP vent not allowing air into tank. I pulled it out of the cap vent green piece, (used clean rubber gloves to get a grip on it). I cleaned it and put it back together, and voila, it now vents correctly during testing. I'll know for sure in a couple months, or whenever the snow melts and it's not freezing outside.

Was you cap completely sealed before you fixed it? Mine allows air in both directions, but it requires noticeably more pressure to blow air in direction of tank than into opposite direction.

10 hours ago, Seldoff said:

Was you cap completely sealed before you fixed it? Mine allows air in both directions, but it requires noticeably more pressure to blow air in direction of tank than into opposite direction.

Before fiddling with it, my cap vent was EXTREMELY resistant to air getting INTO the tank, blowing out was relatively easy.

After pulling it free and taking it apart and cleaning it, it seems much improved. I hope this solves the starvation issue. It had happened on every ride as I was low on fuel (before needing reserve). Right at the end of my last ride of the year (December 2017) it was stalling frequently in techy terrain, so I bailed on the ride. It ran OK on road UNTIL I opened up the throttle 50+ MPH and dies for several seconds, then on again, repeat. i stopped and flipped it to reserve. It did NOT fox the problem. I took the carb off and clean like crazy with air, but the bike is NEW so had no junk in it, float was spot on, jetting should have been OK per Beta chart. 

When I unscrewed the gas cap at home, AHA!!!, gigantic inrush of air into the tank (vacuum!!!). And right then I figured the tank was in vacuum and fuel was not flowing easily to the carb. No fuel pump on the Xtrainer, just gravity feed. But I don't want fuel to spill when I dump the bike either (which happens often). So I need the vent.