• Announcements

stb808

leaning DRZ400 kicker vs. S help me decide

45 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2018 at 6:41 AM, stb808 said:

Well, here is the DRZ400 I just picked up Tuesday.  I don't have an enclosed, heated shop yet (building one in the spring).  The forecast calls for up to 2 feet of new snow in the next 4 days and temps down to  4 degrees.  Yikes.  I want to work/ride/play with my new toy.  Alas.  Ahyway, the bike looks like new.  the guy made a sharpy mark everytime the 100 mile meter ticked over and looks like a legit 450 miles on it.

01212_eUz5PWnuvEL_600x450.jpg

Beautiful bike! I wish it were mine. Those graphics look identical to my 2005. :thumbsup:

On 2/15/2018 at 7:03 AM, ohiodrz400sm said:

Is that a new head? I thought all the pre 2005 bikes had the cam chain "catch" bolt?

Interesting observation. I thought @cowpie had one on his 2005? Or maybe not.

Perhaps I instigated that rumor? I have a few surplus heads with them, but I can clearly see on my own picture that my stock head does NOT have one.

1 person likes this

On 2/15/2018 at 10:21 AM, Erik Marquez said:

No the 2000 and 2001 DRZ motors had a "catch" screwed in the side of the head to keep the cam chain from falling down.. Nothing to do with the cam chain tensioner 5a85b45cef189_camchaincatch.jpg.9e6934a89c7c3a1046a7da26407af01a.jpg

I have another older suzuki, a 1999 TL1000R and it has an eerily similar bolt on the head.  The cam chain goes over an idler gear/sprocket on that bolt and the cam sprockets engage the idler gear, shorter chain and probably a smidge lighter but I don't know of any other benefits except for probably smaller cam sprockets so a slightly smaller head too??  

TLR head.jpg

5 minutes ago, Notabiker said:

I have another older suzuki, a 1999 TL1000R and it has an eerily similar bolt on the head.  The cam chain goes over an idler gear/sprocket on that bolt and the cam sprockets engage the idler gear, shorter chain and probably a smidge lighter but I don't know of any other benefits except for probably smaller cam sprockets so a slightly smaller head too??  

TLR head.jpg

Could be that or they were doing something about angles of the chains and sprockets, harmonics and vibrations 

23 hours ago, Erik Marquez said:

Could be that or they were doing something about angles of the chains and sprockets, harmonics and vibrations 

Yea the tlr has scissor gears on the cams, picture the cam gear split into two gears so you have two similar gears sandwiched together side by side and one half is spring loaded to be about 1/3 of a tooth off from the other half.  Keeps the noise down slightly and some idiots remove the spring loaded half to "save weight" which also adds noise, but it's grams on a half speed spinning camshaft..  I left mine in there, not like the quieter cams are noticeable in a TLR motor (some say the TL stands for Ticks Loudly, which it does of course!) but it was easier to just leave them be than hack at the cams which were cryotreated and ground and welded to higher lifts anyway.  

The gears are probably at least an inch smaller diameter than the sprockets in the drz head, and not having to allow for a chain clearance and such then you can have a smaller head and shorter valve cover, all of which helps as the vtwin is a right fun girl to get wiggled and bolted back into the chassis, also this was their bike that competed in the 996cc vtwin class races back in the day so maybe that was why they did it, with gears you probably got a bit more fine tuning of cam timing vs chain too so idk.