School me on the petcock

While working on my '12 S last summer I noticed that fuel would dribble out of the fuel line when I took the tank off.  So I'm guessing the vacuum petcock is on it's last legs.  The factory part is pretty pricey if I remember correctly and I've heard the Chinese crap sold on eBay as a replacement part is junk.  

Can it be repaired?  If it's not serviceable, what are the pro's and cons of replacing it with the factory unit versus a standard on/off petcock?  What part are people using for the standard on/off petcock?

Thanks!

Doc 

Yes you can get a rebuild kit. Again stay away from China kits. I believe K&L makes one, not sure of where it's made. But usually are a good kit.

I recommend not buying a Yamaha Raptor, or even the Kawasaki petcock.

There is another thread that has a different petcock recommendation, it looks like a better option. If you have,

Stock tank, stock carb.

But if you want to save money the Raptor is half the price of Kawaski. Both will need modding if you want to use reserve.

Here is the Kawasaki petcock, silly me returned the Raptor. I believed the posts on "direct" replacement.

IMG_20180211_115839480.jpg.45f4bd36b00aa42cf40fa5578323f9b8.jpg Remove face plate grind the stop. Then reinstall, you get thisIMG_20180211_115858593.thumb.jpg.1c410dbe447b93883916ce6d6d214a8d.jpg not sure yet if it will need the lever ground down. I also have to now plug the vent ports, or possibly just block the vent tube.

And deal with the side exit !

• Like 1

While working on my '12 S last summer I noticed that fuel would dribble out of the fuel line when I took the tank off.  So I'm guessing the vacuum petcock is on it's last legs.  The factory part is pretty pricey if I remember correctly and I've heard the Chinese crap sold on eBay as a replacement part is junk.  
Can it be repaired?  If it's not serviceable, what are the pro's and cons of replacing it with the factory unit versus a standard on/off petcock?  What part are people using for the standard on/off petcock?
Thanks!
Doc 

Two sides to it
And it can Leak from either
K&L sells a rebuild kit for this one
It’s as good as anything your going to find

Rebuild is pretty simple no special tools needed

And no the two member diaphragm does not come apart at the valve
You pass one membrane through the plastic separator
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Doc_d said:

Thanks!

Doc 

Maybe the guy at that taco joint can tell ya

• Like 2

So on the manual petcock, I have a BSR36 carb, and a Clarke tank, what would be the best petcock to throw on? I just want a new one. Don't know if there is anything with mine or not, but when I get my motor rebuilt, I just want to know my petcock is new, and good

So on the manual petcock, I have a BSR36 carb, and a Clarke tank, what would be the best petcock to throw on? I just want a new one. Don't know if there is anything with mine or not, but when I get my motor rebuilt, I just want to know my petcock is new, and good
See post #3.

6 hours ago, Padilen said:

Yes you can get a rebuild kit. Again stay away from China kits. I believe K&L makes one, not sure of where it's made. But usually are a good kit.

I recommend not buying a Yamaha Raptor, or even the Kawasaki petcock.

There is another thread that has a different petcock recommendation, it looks like a better option. If you have,

Stock tank, stock carb.

But if you want to save money the Raptor is half the price of Kawaski. Both will need modding if you want to use reserve.

Here is the Kawasaki petcock, silly me returned the Raptor. I believed the posts on "direct" replacement.

IMG_20180211_115839480.jpg.45f4bd36b00aa42cf40fa5578323f9b8.jpg Remove face plate grind the stop. Then reinstall, you get thisIMG_20180211_115858593.thumb.jpg.1c410dbe447b93883916ce6d6d214a8d.jpg not sure yet if it will need the lever ground down. I also have to now plug the vent ports, or possibly just block the vent tube.

And deal with the side exit !

You did not reinstall the spacer, thats why the lever hits the tank

I have no spacer, bought used tank, and new petcock. I did not see a spacer on parts list. There also is the nipple issue, on side not bottom. I haven't installed tank yet to see what other issues I'll have. 

Ok I see you mean a spacer from a stock S petcock. I looked up S petcocks. Since I'm not removing, an old petcock I would need and have to buy a S petcock spacer. In order to use the Kaw/E petcock. For it to clear. Or even the Raptor. 20$ for a spacer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 74jimbo said:

So on the manual petcock, I have a BSR36 carb, and a Clarke tank, what would be the best petcock to throw on? 

The Yamaha 5LP-24500-01 with the side nipple works with the Clarke 3.9 gal and the BSR like they were made for each other. In fact Clarke sells that Yamaha part specifically for the DRZ application.

11409PETCOCK.jpg

• Like 1

As has been posted in other threads not very many of the "Raptor" petcocks are actually Raptor petcocks ,90% are Chinese copies these day so they don't all fit the same , but very few, if any allow a clean fuel line fitament . Also even with the spacer under the base the whole issue with those petcocks on the stock tank along with the bsr carb is the outlet comes out right into the carb so the fuel line hits hard and has nowhere to go but a sharp corner and looped all around the carb and come up from below to get to the carb inlet . None of this applies to aftermarket tanks and/or with the FCR carb . The downward outlet options tend to fit best in this setup or better yet a Pingel valve  .

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Padilen said:

I have no spacer, bought used tank, and new petcock. I did not see a spacer on parts list. There also is the nipple issue, on side not bottom. I haven't installed tank yet to see what other issues I'll have. 

Ok I see you mean a spacer from a stock S petcock. I looked up S petcocks. Since I'm not removing, an old petcock I would need and have to buy a S petcock spacer. In order to use the Kaw/E petcock. For it to clear. Or even the Raptor. 20$ for a spacer.

Offer this guy $15 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DRZ400S-Fuel-Gas-Petcock-DRZ-400S-S-2007/352160920178?hash=item51fe6d3272:g:niIAAOSw-URZsaFw&vxp=mtr

Use the spacer, rebuild the petcock, keep for ready spare or sell