This is my first post so hopefully I have this in the right area.

So I'm looking to buy a new bike in a few months and can't decide what Beta to buy. I am going between an xtrainer, a 300rr or the 390rs. I know they have slightly different areas that they excel. I am coming from a 1998 xr400 and an xr250. My question is do any of these new bikes I am looking at have good off idle torque, like slow speed tractor torque. Both my xr's could chug along and climb almost anything but they are heavy and getting older. I dabbled in trials for a bit so I really like the low end pull of thoses 2 strokes, but I also have had a few mx bikes that had nothing down low. What are the beta 2 stokes like. Also does the 390 have a pretty low first gear if I go the 4 stroke route. I ride some pretty rough single track in Georgetown ca if anyone is familiar with that. Lots of switch backs and no room to get speed over some of the obstacles. I am more of a technical rider, don't do much high speed stuff so I'm not to worried about the soft suspension of the xtrainer. 

For backround I am 200 lbs, 6ft, I'm a decent rider but don't race or anything. I have had loads of Japanese bikes and I am wanting to try out a European enduro, this would be my first new bike. Hope the post isn't to long. Thanks

• Like 1

300RR definitely very grunty, hard to stall, idles down to nothing, good at riding switchbacks without any run-up available, tune them with the Suzuki RM250 04-08 needles. I've had tons of CR YZ RM KX 250s, one CR125 Honda, a KTM 200, KDX200/220s, a GasGas 250EC, a Husky WR300, a Husky TE449, a CRF450X and now finally this ('15 300RR). Very happy. Ride similar trails as you've described.

Six foot tall the X-trainer seems small for you. I'm 6-2 so no way XT for me.

Almost forgot! Bike very hard to overheat or steam, always starts super easy with electric start (I don't even use a battery tender between weeks of storage), plush suspension, and a quiet muffler. :ride: 

Edited by shrubitup
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply, the 300 sounds like it's pretty close to what I'm looking for, although I'm not to worried about the small frame of the xtrainer as I like to be able to throw it around a bit. Hard to stall is what I'm looking for. 

The XT suspension comes very soft and is fun for hard enduro and low speeds but needs some work for more open trails. At your weight you will need springs anyway to optimize no matter what bike, but all are ridable. XT has more off idle torque and is smoother than the 300, Really easy and non tiring to ride and hard to stall, it falls 10hp short up top though.

You need to decide what is the key criteria, light weight, handling or power... If you need primo suspension consider a race model, if you can ride around suspension and prefer light and small the XT is fun, if you want the overall best combo for singletrack Enduro the 300 is great. The 390 has a huge wide power band and for your size is manageable but I never rode one, I prefer light weight and stick with 2t

• Like 2

The XT's 10 horsepower deficiency is due to the stock mini expansion chamber. A FMF Gnarly pumps up the bottom end even more and lets it continues to pull strongly at higher rpms.

I think the XT has more than enough power to get the job done. It is smooth and fuel efficient when jetted. It is easy to ride as-is and less tiring.

I think a 6' tall guy might be better served with an RR if he wants power.
  • Like 2

I think the XT has more than enough power to get the job done. It is smooth and fuel efficient when jetted. It is easy to ride as-is and less tiring.

I think a 6' tall guy might be better served with an RR if he wants power.

Agreed. Additional horsepower from the motor taxes the suspension even more. Stock is where the magic is for the XT. If you start wanting more than the RR makes more sense economically.

7 hours ago, Nkz said:

Thanks for the reply, the 300 sounds like it's pretty close to what I'm looking for, although I'm not to worried about the small frame of the xtrainer as I like to be able to throw it around a bit. Hard to stall is what I'm looking for. 

300RR with the Rekluse then. Done. 

• Like 1

I was a longtime XR rider that made the change to a Beta. I'm 6'1" 255 and I went with the 430 4t. I like to lug it low in the RPM's as well (must be an XR thing). The 2t's are a good bike and I've ridden a couple of them, but spending my life on a 4t, that's where I was comfortable. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Beta's. You will feel much better riding any of them, coming off the XR. Just be sure and get your suspension done for your weight and riding. I recommend LT Racing in Washington State. I like technical riding and he set mine up beautifully.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nkz said:

So I'm looking to buy a new bike in a few months and can't decide what Beta to buy. I am going between an xtrainer, a 300rr or the 390rs. I know they have slightly different areas that they excel. I am coming from a 1998 xr400 and an xr250. My question is do any of these new bikes I am looking at have good off idle torque, like slow speed tractor torque. Both my xr's could chug along and climb almost anything but they are heavy and getting older. I dabbled in trials for a bit so I really like the low end pull of thoses 2 strokes, but I also have had a few mx bikes that had nothing down low. What are the beta 2 stokes like. Also does the 390 have a pretty low first gear if I go the 4 stroke route. I ride some pretty rough single track in Georgetown ca if anyone is familiar with that. Lots of switch backs and no room to get speed over some of the obstacles. I am more of a technical rider, don't do much high speed stuff so I'm not to worried about the soft suspension of the xtrainer. 

For backround I am 200 lbs, 6ft, I'm a decent rider but don't race or anything. I have had loads of Japanese bikes and I am wanting to try out a European enduro, this would be my first new bike. Hope the post isn't to long. Thanks

12 hours ago, shrubitup said:

300RR definitely very grunty, hard to stall, idles down to nothing, good at riding switchbacks without any run-up available, tune them with the Suzuki RM250 04-08 needles. I've had tons of CR YZ RM KX 250s, one CR125 Honda, a KTM 200, KDX200/220s, a GasGas 250EC, a Husky WR300, a Husky TE449, a CRF450X and now finally this ('15 300RR). Very happy. Ride similar trails as you've described.

Six foot tall the X-trainer seems small for you. I'm 6-2 so no way XT for me.

Almost forgot! Bike very hard to overheat or steam, always starts super easy with electric start (I don't even use a battery tender between weeks of storage), plush suspension, and a quiet muffler. :ride: 

I've ridden some of that area, ride Rock Creek & Mace Mill OHV, ForestHill, etc. some great riding up there in the El Dorado forest.

For that type of riding I'd pick the 300RR in a heart beat. I've ridden my old KTM 300 MXC up there and my old DRZ400. I seriously prefer the 300 2-strokes for that type of riding. I have a '17 500RR-S and it's pretty good on single track but nothing like a 300. I ride a very range of stuff which is why I picked the 500 plus I needed the plate. I'm SERIOUSLY tempted to get a 300 but I'm waiting to see if Beta brings out Fuel Injection and a counter balancer for the 300 like KTM did. I'd prefer the Beta over the KTM but..... there's no way I'm buying another 300 2-stroke that's not counter balanced as it was the vibes that got to me on my old 300, plus I'm done with carbs. We'll see.... but I do think another 300 2-stroke is in my future.

• Like 2

I have a 17 300RR. Absolutely love it. I actually posted a review on it here on thumpertalk last night. 

In a nutshell, the 300RR will do everything your XR400 could do but SO much better. It will also do a long list of things that the XR could never dream of. It’s ultra tunable, you can change its personality and power delivery characteristics to a wide variety of options and you can do it in under a minute on the trail. It’s a down low grunting single track monster unlike any smoker I’ve ever ridden, and I’ve ridden a lot of them. There are a ton of great bikes out there but the RR won’t disappoint. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, danketchpel said:

m SERIOUSLY tempted to get a 300 but I'm waiting to see if Beta brings out Fuel Injection and a counter balancer for the 300 like KTM did. I'd prefer the Beta over the KTM but..... there's no way I'm buying another 300 2-stroke that's not counter balanced as it was the vibes that got to me on my old 300, plus I'm done with carbs. We'll see.... but I do think another 300 2-stroke is in my future.

Don't compare pre 17 ktm vibration to a 13+ beta 300rr. The beta doesn't vibrate as much. I've ridden a 17 ktm 250xcw and it wasn't dramatic regarding vibration compared to either the 250rr or 300rr beta. 

The ktm tpi is available but is not without fault yet. 

Wow, thanks for the fast response everyone. Sounds like the consensus is the 2 strokes for the low end torque. I'm used to the yz and cr that have nothing at the bottom, so I'm hesitant to go that route but sounds like these are a different animal altogether. I'll have to check out your review skytroll. Then take a test ride before I purchase.

Edited by Nkz
  • Like 2

Beta 300RR should be perfect for what your described use is. A TX300 would be my second choice, maybe my first.
  • Like 1

Options 1A.....

I know the area you ride in,
I have built a home up there in Georgetown and been riding up there for over 12 years.
While a two-stroke is a wonderful bike to ride around in that area I would not discount a good beta four stroke.

I’ve been riding my Beta 450rs 2014 up there and there’s nothing that I cant breeze through with the 450 4 stroke now if I was looking at another four stroke I would look at the beta 390 absolutely just want to throw out that there is alternatives to a two-stroke and the merits of buying a beta four stroke in California is street legal and you can bounce from bald Mountain down to rock Creek you can ride over over to Sugarpine in the forest hill area there is something to be said about a street legal four stroke and the beta 390 is even more nimble than my 450 that is set up for serious singletrack.

Not taking anything away from the Beta two stroke but you do have options I love the two strokes very much but I also like the ease of the new beta four strokes.....

quote post=“14148713” timestamp=“1518499978” name=“Nkz” userid=“518064”] This is my first post so hopefully I have this in the right area.
So I’m looking to buy a new bike in a few months and can’t decide what Beta to buy. I am going between an xtrainer, a 300rr or the 390rs. I know they have slightly different areas that they excel. I am coming from a 1998 xr400 and an xr250. My question is do any of these new bikes I am looking at have good off idle torque, like slow speed tractor torque. Both my xr's could chug along and climb almost anything but they are heavy and getting older. I dabbled in trials for a bit so I really like the low end pull of thoses 2 strokes, but I also have had a few mx bikes that had nothing down low. What are the beta 2 stokes like. Also does the 390 have a pretty low first gear if I go the 4 stroke route. I ride some pretty rough single track in Georgetown ca if anyone is familiar with that. Lots of switch backs and no room to get speed over some of the obstacles. I am more of a technical rider, don't do much high speed stuff so I'm not to worried about the soft suspension of the xtrainer. 

• Like 2

I rode my first Enduro up there 38 years ago! Fortunately it was a family Enduro and I was a pretty young kid.

For me I would totally choose the 300, but I grew up racing 250cc MX bikes off-road so I'm more of a 2stroke guy anyways. 

Also spent a fair amount of time on old XR's and have ridden a 390 which I really liked.  For someone like yourself who has spent most of their time on XR's I believe the 390 would be the safer bet. I can say for certain you would really like it! While it's 1000 times better than your XR, you can still ride it the same way. 

You may or may not like the 300 two stroke. Probably would, but some guys just don't jive with it. Think you should probably get a test ride on one before buying. If you can't I think the 390 is the safer bet. 

• Like 3

Thanks ccullins. Im kinda gathering that the 390 is like a new xr400 with electric start, better suspension, and lighter. I do like the ability to trail hop on the road. I will have to keep reading reviews in the next few months and see what I am able to ride. The efficiency of the 4 strokes is nice to.

Dont count out the 250 RR or 250 RR RE, Im 6'1" and 200lb and race a 250rr Race Edition. This thing is a tractor down low, i can chug it up just about anything with no stalling issues. Its a little more flickable in the tight stuff. When i first got it i was set on turning it into a 300 but i have no need to. Its a great bike as is. Its a little pipier than the 300 so i get my MX fix with it as well. 

• Like 2

Having been a KTM guy for the past six years, 4T 350 XCF-W and 2T 300XC, I just bought my first Beta, a 2016 300RR. I did a lot of research on the Betas, since they were pretty much an unknown to me at that time. I must say that I love this Beta. Yes, there are a few quirks with the bike, being more of an exotic than the KTM, and my nearest knowledgeable dealer is over two hours drive away. Even with these considerations I am very pleased with the 300RR. The dealer I mentioned is very knowledgeable and has been very helpful dealing with me long distance. Something I know most dealers of more popular brands will not do. Main points for me were the lower seat height (almost 2 inches lower than my 300XC), oil injection system, easily tune-able power valve system and slightly smaller chassis. The smaller chassis makes it a great single track bike, like no KTM I have ever ridden.

The after-market for the Beta is somewhat limited at this time, but based on what I am seeing this is soon to change as Betas are becoming more common every day. Watch the latest extreme enduro videos online and you will notice more and more Betas in the mix.

• Like 1