What beta to buy

3 hours ago, samaki said:

my nearest knowledgeable dealer is over two hours drive away. Even with these considerations I am very pleased with the 300RR. The dealer I mentioned is very knowledgeable and has been very helpful dealing with me long distance. Something I know most dealers of more popular brands will not do.

Are you talking about Bonecutters by any chance? Steve and his family are great to work with. I travel all over the country for work and all I have to do is call them for a part I need and they will drop ship it to me anywhere in the continental US that I happen to be. Last year alone they shipped to me in Colorado, Oregon, Arkansas, and Alabama. Never had to wait more than 3 days for parts to arrive. They also support the local race scene in Missouri a lot.

I still have my XR400 and love that bike. I also ride a 300RR.

I would be looking at the 300RR and the 390. If 4t, I would go 390 for sure.

8 hours ago, mtngoat said:

Are you talking about Bonecutters by any chance? Steve and his family are great to work with. I travel all over the country for work and all I have to do is call them for a part I need and they will drop ship it to me anywhere in the continental US that I happen to be. Last year alone they shipped to me in Colorado, Oregon, Arkansas, and Alabama. Never had to wait more than 3 days for parts to arrive. They also support the local race scene in Missouri a lot.

I am referring to Bonecutter's Beta in California Missouri. He obviously loves Betas and goes the extra mile support the brand. I spoke to him at length before I bought my Beta and he was a big part of why I went ahead and bought one.

Thanks ccullins. Im kinda gathering that the 390 is like a new xr400 with electric start, better suspension, and lighter. I do like the ability to trail hop on the road. I will have to keep reading reviews in the next few months and see what I am able to ride. The efficiency of the 4 strokes is nice to.

The lack of a plate is the only thing keeping me from buying a 300RR to go with my 500RR-S. In Kommiefornia you really need that plate.
40 minutes ago, danketchpel said:


The lack of a plate is the only thing keeping me from buying a 300RR to go with my 500RR-S. In Kommiefornia you really need that plate.

Come to New Jersey... plated 18 Xtrainer no problem... except its 22 degrees  with winter snow warning tonight! 

 

12.jpg

On 2/13/2018 at 2:09 PM, shrubitup said:

The ktm tpi is available but is not without fault yet. 

Well, they are not really available. Only the 250cc model, and only about one per dealer. So they are more available than unicorns, but in the real world, they are not available. 2019 will be the year of TPI KTMs. I'm happy with my carb'd 300XCW. But since this is a Beta forum, I just picked up a new Beta 200 EVO. So in the general "which beta to buy" I have to say get a trials bike :-)

33 minutes ago, pat22043 said:

But since this is a Beta forum, I just picked up a new Beta 200 EVO. So in the general "which beta to buy" I have to say get a trials bike :-)

Lotus54 just picked up a 300 EVO sport four stroke. Kickstarting it appears to be extremely easy/repeatable with the CV carburetor and the way Beta tuned it. Has a long ride kit as a stock feature. Rides it on "trails" with us.

https://www.betausa.com/content/evo-300-sport-4-stroke

Edited by shrubitup

all this dam talk about cross training and trials... decided to check Craigslist... low and behold found this 16 Beta Evo 300 beauty about a mile away... I was half tempted to ride her home... can't wait for snow to melt and spring weather... the plan is to share the new princess with the wife.... lots for both of us to learn!

IMG_20180218_171003.jpg

IMG_20180218_171344.jpg

Edited by MarantzManiac

Gorgeous bike!

Just ordered a '18 390 RR-S. After doing my research and calling a few dealers and talking to quite a few folks that ride them it was a no brainer. They come well equipped and are 1-1.5 less than the KTM's. The resale is probably going to be an issue but plan on keeping this bike around for at least 5 years and dual sporting around North Carolina/Virginia etc.. Just added the 3 gallon IMS and Cyra Pro bend guards. Have a great local dealer in Henderson called Brewers Cycle and they take good care of you as well as Beta backing up their bikes.

4 minutes ago, mcleaj said:

Just ordered a '18 390 RR-S. After doing my research and calling a few dealers and talking to quite a few folks that ride them it was a no brainer. They come well equipped and are 1-1.5 less than the KTM's. The resale is probably going to be an issue but plan on keeping this bike around for at least 5 years and dual sporting around North Carolina/Virginia etc.. Just added the 3 gallon IMS and Cyra Pro bend guards. Have a great local dealer in Henderson called Brewers Cycle and they take good care of you as well as Beta backing up their bikes.

Congrats, enjoy and post your experience. Don't sweat the resale. Beta's are losing their secret identity and becoming mainstream. 

I've only got one hour on the meter of my Beta 200 Evo, but so far, I love it. I'd ride more, but have had both hands in casts since December and my hands and wrists don't work so good. So I go out for 5 minutes trying to work some motion into my arm, and break in the Evo. So far, its love. The thing starts always on the first kick, unless I forget to connect the kill switch lanyard. Sadly, will probably be a couple more weeks before I can try riding say a half-hour at a time.

I've only got one hour on the meter of my Beta 200 Evo, but so far, I love it. I'd ride more, but have had both hands in casts since December and my hands and wrists don't work so good. So I go out for 5 minutes trying to work some motion into my arm, and break in the Evo. So far, its love. The thing starts always on the first kick, unless I forget to connect the kill switch lanyard. Sadly, will probably be a couple more weeks before I can try riding say a half-hour at a time.

Both hands in casts ?! What happened?
Just now, M A T R said:

Both hands in casts ?! What happened?

I was riding my 300 on a rocky trail after a couple of cold and snowy days. So a normal not very challenging trail was covered with snow and ice, and became way more thrilling. I had the front end wash out, tried to catch it, washed out the rear and went down. As I went down, I put out my hands to catch my fall, and broke bones in each hands and a bone in my left wrist. Twin cast/splint things for two months. Watch it in the last minute of this sad video: 

 

I was riding my 300 on a rocky trail after a couple of cold and snowy days. So a normal not very challenging trail was covered with snow and ice, and became way more thrilling. I had the front end wash out, tried to catch it, washed out the rear and went down. As I went down, I put out my hands to catch my fall, and broke bones in each hands and a bone in my left wrist. Twin cast/splint things for two months. Watch it in the last minute of this sad video: 
 

Bummer... hope you heal up quick.
3 hours ago, pat22043 said:

I was riding my 300 on a rocky trail after a couple of cold and snowy days. So a normal not very challenging trail was covered with snow and ice, and became way more thrilling. I had the front end wash out, tried to catch it, washed out the rear and went down. As I went down, I put out my hands to catch my fall, and broke bones in each hands and a bone in my left wrist. Twin cast/splint things for two months. Watch it in the last minute of this sad video: 

 

Wow that happened quickly. Adrenaline must have taken over riding home in pain with broken bits. Glad to hear you're on the mend.

The trials bike is like learning to ride all over again. I need to practice basic body positioning, balance and covering the clutch and brake at all times for recovery. Kinda wish we started on a 200 like you but we'll likely do more trail then trial.so hopefully be ok. It's amazing how she can creep along extremely slowly then just explode like a scalded cat with throttle! Must remember cover those levers at all times and continue watching Ryan Young training videos practicing learning skills.

On 2/28/2018 at 7:16 PM, pat22043 said:

I was riding my 300 on a rocky trail after a couple of cold and snowy days. So a normal not very challenging trail was covered with snow and ice, and became way more thrilling. I had the front end wash out, tried to catch it, washed out the rear and went down. As I went down, I put out my hands to catch my fall, and broke bones in each hands and a bone in my left wrist. Twin cast/splint things for two months. Watch it in the last minute of this sad video: 

 

Looks like either quads or trucks drove over the snow which created that icy surface. Amazing there were broken bones from what appears to be a slow ish get off. Hope it improves fast!

17 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Looks like either quads or trucks drove over the snow which created that icy surface. Amazing there were broken bones from what appears to be a slowish get off.

Yeah, they packed the nice snow into a sheet of ice. I was not pushing hard at all. If I had just pulled my arms in, I would have rolled onto my gear and been fine. But it all happened too fast to have any conscious thought. The fact that I'm 67 probably means my bones are a bit more brittle than they were when I started riding.

1 minute ago, pat22043 said:

Yeah, they packed the nice snow into a sheet of ice. I was not pushing hard at all. If I had just pulled my arms in, I would have rolled onto my gear and been fine. But it all happened too fast to have any conscious thought. The fact that I'm 67 probably means my bones are a bit more brittle than they were when I started riding.

lol, yes, that's probably the case. it's instinct to put your hands out in front of you when you crash, hard to turn that off. 

we had a ride similar to that with more snow but similarly it had been traversed by SUVs which made ice beneath. All three of us went down like dominoes at the same spot as we went over it. The distance between us remained as we all 3 slid across the ice finally coming to our resting spot. Always way more traction in the untraversed snow. 

On 2/28/2018 at 7:22 AM, mcleaj said:

Just ordered a '18 390 RR-S. After doing my research and calling a few dealers and talking to quite a few folks that ride them it was a no brainer. They come well equipped and are 1-1.5 less than the KTM's. The resale is probably going to be an issue but plan on keeping this bike around for at least 5 years and dual sporting around North Carolina/Virginia etc.. Just added the 3 gallon IMS and Cyra Pro bend guards. Have a great local dealer in Henderson called Brewers Cycle and they take good care of you as well as Beta backing up their bikes.

Congrats on the bike order. Probably  be in your boat next year about this time. Daughter getting married in Nov,  so new bike now wouldn't sit well with the wife. My buddy Jeff works at that dealership and have a few riding buddies that have bought bikes there. If you ever ride NCMP, hit me up and we can meet to ride. 

Edited by Edgecombe

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now