600R Grenaded / Rebuilding

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, targetdrone said:

I had another crank to compare it to. Also the gear on the crank is a very tight press fit. I believe the Honda engineers put the round key on the counter balance to make it the weak link.

The reason I ask is I bought a used one thinking I was going to rebuild it prior to tearing down and throw it in.  When I tore the engine apart I noticed the balance dots were not in the same location between the cranks.  I didn't know which one was correct so I scratched my head a little.  Neither one matched the service manual illustration.

I decided that my old crank didn't vibrate or anything strange so it must be correct.  I split the used one back apart and installed the new rod and pin in my original.  I couldn't figure out a way to get that gear off the used one without a little destruction so I chunked it in the trash.  It's definitely a tight press fit. 

Honda doesn't release the alignment information for some reason.  I guess it's because they consider it non-serviceable.  It may not even make that much of a difference as long as it's close.

Edited by Hollerhead