2018 CRF230X - 215 lbs street legal

great simple bike, just my kind of thing. back in the 80,s i found a good way of getting one of my hondas to handle, stop etc better. put the engine in a zy !

DSCF2867.JPG

• Like 5

7 hours ago, woodsryder said:

I stand corrected on the torque. I would love to ride your freeride.

I should have said the power delivery is better,.. why else would we put up with the crappy stock chassis  :lol:

My Freeride has more torque and never stalls even at extremely low RPM..... compared to my 230. But as far as application..... one could just roll on more throttle. I honestly think If I had your built machine, that I would have never bought a Freeride. 

5 hours ago, elsinorejoe said:

I went one better than this, I bought a new 2016 AJP PR4 240 for $2,000 after a dealer had liquidated from closing. At this price I can always wait for a Honda CRF230F motor to show up. Until then I have fitted a full FMF exhaust, up graded cam & ignition & higher compression piston. I know it's not ultra light but it is very fun to ride.

thumbnail_20170921_181019.jpg

thumbnail_20170921_181035.jpg

Wow, what a deal. I looked into those bikes hard. They are extremely well made. The only issue I could find from people was comparing it's motor to the 230. 

AJP pr4s are great! Especially for the cost. After riding one my only complaints are the cockpit is to cramped (easily fixed), needs a six speed transmission and what to do if you want to increase gas tank capacity. Nothing's perfect. Great bike.

• Like 1

The AJP and pitster LXF250 are still very heavy bikes but better than stock 230 if you don't compare engines. Too bad you can't buy a bare a rolling chassis. The weight problem remains though.

• Like 1

A few more pics. You can see why the shock mount looks so goofy,.. it has to fit into an awkward space. 

PICT0012.JPG

PICT0012 (2).JPG

PICT0010.JPG

PICT0026.JPG

PICT0028.JPG

PICT0033.JPG

Edited by woodsryder
  • Like 8

A few more pics. You can see why the shock mount looks so goofy,.. it has to fit into an awkward space. 

PICT0012.JPG.b452aa185983aee461b723dada417e17.JPG

5a8c510e2d8e6_PICT0012(2).JPG.4cb3f92e8cedb4333c1c36cf560329cc.JPG

PICT0010.JPG.bb6c9f9b924cd823195acb162434765b.JPG

PICT0026.JPG.ef814c936a8d41d97664e407078ceb34.JPG

PICT0028.JPG.a5bceb1972228ea024d8353507b1c570.JPG

PICT0033.JPG.64db9efddbd6c936c2950698d61c1f9e.JPG

Excellent work sir, photos look excellent also.

+ 1 Nice all accounts

16 hours ago, woodsryder said:

Some of you know I built an ultralight BBR framed XR200 a while back that weighed in at 183 lbs no gas. That is the inspiration for this bike. I've been riding the custom BBR ever since and swearing I'll build a next generation version someday. Well, Im perpetually busy and it hasn't happened yet but hey, I already have one so no hurry. When I ride with other people its very conspicuous that Im having more fun and never getting tired. One of my riding friends is a 60 yr old female with excellent riding skills. Here in Florida she struggles riding her big KTM's in the sugar sand while I blitz around like a sand flea grinning all the time. She had a 230 once and loved it so we decided to see how much I could improve the bike without a full custom frame. She already looked at a new Freeride or X-trainer but would rather be poked in the eye with a stick than own a two stroke. I agreed to the build because I wanted to see if it would be possible to offer conversion kits.

Despite its factory appearance, fabrication was extensive and I decided conversion kits would never be practical.

That's really a shame, because I'm thinking that there are a lot more folks like me who'd jump at building a modern equivalent of the early XR200Rs with all of their goodness and few of their flaws. I just don't have the fabrication resources.

Better yet, wake up Honda! This is what we want.

Oh, by the way, how close does this bike come to the goodness of your sand flea? (Just a few words, not a dissertation: we know you're busy.)

Edited by Old Plonker

4 hours ago, Old Plonker said:

Oh, by the way, how close does this bike come to the goodness of your sand flea? (Just a few words, not a dissertation: we know you're busy.)

Very similar but my BBR is slimmer, and well, just feels more bicycle like. With 30 lbs less weight the BBR just seems to ride higher and skims across deep rutted soft sections better. I expected that but the surprise was that mine seems to have the exact same power despite NOT having the 6mm stroker. Again, its the 30 lbs less weight..... Weight reduction really is the holy grail.

• Like 2

Wait, what?
I thought just skipping lunch was where it’s at....

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Racer3 said:

What is the head light off of??

Not sure now what brand it was but I had it laying around new in the package. Its not LED so I need to convert it to one but it has simple clean lines that seemed to fit the OEM styling. Everything else I saw on aftermarket looked way too overstyled. the used bike came with a Baja Designs light which was kinda big and boxy looking. this one was lighter and tucked in better. Thats a CR85 fender too

PICT0038.JPG

• Like 2

Definitely the bike Honda Should build....I bought an AJP PR4, as it was the closest thing to this I could buy, but would have kept my CRF230 if it was "this bike".....

Honda should build one like this...the "CRF230X"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huck369 said:

Honda should build one like this...the "CRF230X"

Years ago I built s CRF650X. Same theme, modified frame. Flipped over 450 swingarm with the same ohlins shock and no linkage. CRF450 front suspension, wheels and brakes. It also looked factory built but less porky. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of it. Saved 25 lbs and transformed the feel and handling. 

Seem like I have a hobby of making KTM's out of Hondas. 

Im kind of like "weight watchers" for overweight Honda's

I only weigh 155 lbs and I won't be happy until my bike does too.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, woodsryder said:

Not sure now what brand it was but I had it laying around new in the package. Its not LED so I need to convert it to one but it has simple clean lines that seemed to fit the OEM styling. Everything else I saw on aftermarket looked way too overstyled. the used bike came with a Baja Designs light which was kinda big and boxy looking. this one was lighter and tucked in better. Thats a CR85 fender too

PICT0038.JPG

Well the bike looks great. 

For the foot pegs did u make the mount or use something off another bike? Also is that a better peg position for riding?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, woodsryder said:

PICT0038.JPG

Envious of this bike.... and clean, neat workspace. I know from my own "fabricating" projects, boat, ATV's, etc, that changing things takes alot of work. But gives a lot of satisfaction. 

• Like 1

Here's my crf230f 2005 

Cr 125 front forks

Cr125 swing arm shock and linkage

19 inch rear

Yamaha foot pegs

Powrol header FMF tail

One rebuild since new 

Thought about 250 upgrade and miller cam but will it be indestructible?

23845798_1422571637870266_6115972075333367654_o.jpg

23783464_1422285111232252_4717047224934264571_o.jpg

• Like 3

Here's my crf230f 2005 
Cr 125 front forks
Cr125 swing arm shock and linkage
19 inch rear
Yamaha foot pegs
Powrol header FMF tail
One rebuild since new 
Thought about 250 upgrade and miller cam but will it be indestructible?
23845798_1422571637870266_6115972075333367654_o.thumb.jpg.085e47868cb01ddb0f5a6e950ecd3b4e.jpg
23783464_1422285111232252_4717047224934264571_o.thumb.jpg.b536ef58892c39ebd2cb7c10e1e58f74.jpg

Absolutely but only if machine work is excellent, if properly assembled and then broke in hard.
  • Like 1

To answer a few questions on footpegs,.. Moving them rearward is a popular mod. someone compared to other bikes and they are too far forward for comfortable standing. I used CRF450 brackets, made a jig to hold them aligned, than welded and boxed them in to the frame with extra plates. Someone sells bolt on adapters too. You will have to shorten shifter and brake pedal too.

Bartle,.. Im sure people will want to know what year CR125 swingarm shock and linkage you used?

For the more adventurous fabricator,.. it is possible to flip the stock 230 swingarm, relocate the top shock mount and use a KTM85 shock. Its also possible to use the flipped 230 arm on an XR200 with a Cannondale ohlins shock with no frame mods at all.  You can still buy new old stock cannondale shocks on ebay pretty cheap. There are two lengths though. When you start to mix n match parts be prepared to solve many unexpected problems.

• Like 4