Best Cross Country Bike You Can Get Today?

The do it all bike doesnt exist, I know that, but Im looking for something pretty damn near close to it. My dilema: I live in Mexico and It is one of the most biodiverse places you can possibly think of; I can ride at 12,000 feet between pines, the next day shred a desert, and the last day be in a tropical forest. Any thoughts on a bike that you may think can handle all of these relatively well?

Gracias amigos!

• Like 1

It depends what bike you are looking for and personal preference.

Two Stroke: I would imagine a YZ250X or any bike that is set up well for you, paired with a Lectron or Smart carb, will do what you want. 

Four Stroke: Any FI bike should be suffice to any elevation changes, but it depends if that’s what you want. 

• Like 1

The do it all bike doesnt exist, I know that, but Im looking for something pretty damn near close to it. My dilema: I live in Mexico and It is one of the most biodiverse places you can possibly think of; I can ride at 12,000 feet between pines, the next day shred a desert, and the last day be in a tropical forest. Any thoughts on a bike that you may think can handle all of these relatively well?

Gracias amigos!

I rode CR250 2 strokes forever. I felt it was a time for a change. A bike that was actually designed for off road not motocross. I went to buy a husky 300 or a 350. (Or KTM) I discovered Beta while at the dealership. Did research. In the end I bought a 300 Beta. I do really love it. I’d say do research as you are. But elevation changes present an issue for carburated bikes. But like the guy above said u can fix that with s Lectron Carb. The 300 rides light, handles well and saves me in technical situations all the time. I’m not saying 4 stroke are bad at all. It’s a preference thing. Good luck!
  • Like 1

Yamaha YZ250FX... Overall the best bike you can buy... 

I bought a Beta to replace my YZ250FX. I was supposed to sell the Yamaha, but it's legitimately my favourite dirtbike I've owned to date. So now they're both sitting in my garage.

The Beta is better at what I (mostly) ride. But the Yamaha is a better all around motorcycle than the Beta IMO. I'm always having to tinker and mess with the Beta, change things out, etc. Whereas the Yamaha was just get on and go. I've wrenched on the Beta more in its first 30 hours, than the FX in its 160 odd hours.
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Goatse said:

I bought a Beta to replace my YZ250FX. I was supposed to sell the Yamaha, but it's legitimately my favourite dirtbike I've owned to date. So now they're both sitting in my garage.

The Beta is better at what I (mostly) ride. But the Yamaha is a better all around motorcycle than the Beta IMO. I'm always having to tinker and mess with the Beta, change things out, etc. Whereas the Yamaha was just get on and go. I've wrenched on the Beta more in its first 30 hours, than the FX in its 160 odd hours.

Yep. The non-stop "tinkering" is why I gave up on euro bikes.

• Like 2

There’s a variety of bikes that could be chosen. I think bang for your buck and straight up just a great bike could be this one and street legal.  

Check the Glen Helen 24 hr race.

https://dirtbiketest.com/bike-tests/2017-beta-430-rr-s/

I have 3 Betas and ridden a bunch of different models for a bunch of years in trail riding and racing hare scrambles and extreme enduro type stuff.  Betas are solid and reliable from my experience. Got my 09 new. . 09 525 RS,15’  300 rr and a 350 rr . My Betas have been at least as reliable as my Honda or gasgas etc and those are good reliable bikes as well . The street legal part is good. 

Any fuel injected 4t 450 (maybe a 350, never rode one) would do well. I wouldn’t want a 250 4t if I was riding desert, especially if you have those sweet, sweet steep sandy hill climbs (one of my favorites). You can definitely get around, but it’s not nearly as much fun as a big bike. Sand robs like 40% of the power it feels like, and at your elevations every bike is already down like 8-10%.

My personal choice would be a yz250x with a lectron or smart carb, because I love 2t and just prefer Yamaha ergos. In a very close second place would be a KTM 250xc or 300xc, or beta 300, or husky 300. They’re all great bikes, the bikes with 4cs need the suspension set up for you since they’re not great stock, but that’s all. The euro bikes come with estart and a lighting coil too, if those things appeal to you (they don’t to me).