Truck, Trailer or Van

What is your choice and why?  

Edited by TR185

What is your choice and why?  

Van all the way! For many reasons....
-For starters, you can find a van at a very good price. (Old work van, etc)
- You don’t put any wear and tear on your daily vehicle
- You don’t have to pull a parachute (box trailer) around and kill your gas mileage. Trailers are also a massive sign that say “hey, I have some cool shit in here you might wanna steal”
- you can load everything up, go to the track, get filthy, get back in and drive home filthy and get out without worrying about how dirty the vehicle is or your bikes. They will be there, out of the way, until your ready to unload
-if you break down you call a wrecker and he takes you and all your shit home instead of having to leave your trailer full of bikes on the side of the road
- you can sleep comfortably in a van. We chain our bikes to the axle, under a canopy and sleep like school girls at the races
- you can mount a tool box and such in the van and leave it. When your ready to leave you literally load ONLY your bike and head out
- if the weather is shitty, all of your stuff is clean and dry

I’m sure there are many other awesome reasons I have figured out over the years but these are the biggest coming to mind right now. Go for the van bro!
  • Like 6

Pickup for me. I don't use a trailer, that's what the bed is for. The main reason is that the pickup is multi purpose for me...I use it for lot's of other stuff...lumber, gravel, firewood, etc. Plus it's 4wd which is a necessity here in the mountains, it's hard to find 4wd vans. I rarely do overnight trips, so security isn't a huge deal for me.

• Like 2

I can see the benefits of all three.  My last trip I used the truck but in the past I have used a enclosed trailer.  The trailer was awesome for room, storage, ease of loading, unloading and a changing room.  But an enclosed trailer is excessive when you're hauling only one bike so I've started looking at a van as an alternative.        

• Like 2

I can see the benefits of all three.  My last trip I used the truck but in the past I have used a enclosed trailer.  The trailer was awesome for room, storage, ease of loading, unloading and a changing room.  But an enclosed trailer is excessive when you're hauling only one bike so I've started looking at a van as an alternative.        

I guess I should have put that I have a pickup as a daily driver so I have the bases covered when it comes to hauling other things. But if you are looking to buy a strictly moto rig, I’m obviously very PRO van. Haha. If I didn’t have a truck for other hauling jobs though, I wouldn’t buy a van if that makes sense. Take a peek at Craigslist if your looking for a van. I bought mine there for literally $1000. It’s not the prettiest or the fastest van out there, but functionally it is the tits!
  • Like 2

I like the security of a boxed trailer so a van is something that interests me.  Checking out Craig's List.  

• Like 4

We see all three- truck, trailer, van -  out there in large numbers.

There is no one answer.

Each has its costs, pros and cons.   

Many riders have all three combinations in their driveway.   Thats their hardest choice on riding day - which one to take.

• Like 1

Van all the way! For many reasons....
-For starters, you can find a van at a very good price. (Old work van, etc)
- You don’t put any wear and tear on your daily vehicle
- You don’t have to pull a parachute (box trailer) around and kill your gas mileage. Trailers are also a massive sign that say “hey, I have some cool shit in here you might wanna steal”
- you can load everything up, go to the track, get filthy, get back in and drive home filthy and get out without worrying about how dirty the vehicle is or your bikes. They will be there, out of the way, until your ready to unload
-if you break down you call a wrecker and he takes you and all your shit home instead of having to leave your trailer full of bikes on the side of the road
- you can sleep comfortably in a van. We chain our bikes to the axle, under a canopy and sleep like school girls at the races
- you can mount a tool box and such in the van and leave it. When your ready to leave you literally load ONLY your bike and head out
- if the weather is shitty, all of your stuff is clean and dry

I’m sure there are many other awesome reasons I have figured out over the years but these are the biggest coming to mind right now. Go for the van bro!

Now I want to go buy a van.

I run a truck and enclosed trailer, but I also have to bring 5 bikes when the kids and wife are riding too.
  • Like 2

I have a work van that I love it’s a 2015 Ford Transit t150. I’ve put the dirt bike in it before but it’s a work van and usually loaded with my work stuff. I’m chiming in here to support vans because they rock. 

Now I want to go buy a van.

I run a truck and enclosed trailer, but I also have to bring 5 bikes when the kids and wife are riding too.

Do It! Haha. You could always pull a trailer with a van if you needed. They make some cool bench seats too that fold out into a bed. So your family could all have somewhere safe to sit, and nap if needed
  • Like 2

Here is ours. First pics are the sleeping arrangements, in the super cross pits, and it loaded down with 3 bikes. The last is what I plan on doing soon. A little lift and 35” tires
IMG_1519397481.854557.jpgIMG_1519397494.153317.jpgIMG_1519397504.342859.jpgIMG_1519397515.792709.jpgIMG_1519397526.367693.jpg

• Like 4

Went by the Ford dealer and looked at a Transit 250.  I was impressed by its cargo space.  

Edited by TR185
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, TR185 said:

Went by the Ford dealer and looked at a Transit 250.  I was impressed by its cargo space.  

I looked at one too.

Being a bit of a stickler on vehicle safety, I would want a rear partition  installed so all my crap  doesn't come forward and crush me in crash.

Since there is a bit of backward lean for the seat backs, I am afraid I would lose 12 inches of space to that partition.

There's always the ol E350 box van for same price or better as new transit.

https://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2018-Ford-E350--119769364

• Like 2

This one was a 2016 model with a rubber mat covering the cargo area and a metal wall / partition dividing the cargo area from the front seats.  The dealer told me that was $1,000 extra if I had it added.  With only 21,000 miles on it the price was over $20,000 and out of my price range.  I did like it had a back up camera on it.   

I use a pickp truk, because my truck is also my daily driver, and do not stay overnight at riding sites or tracks.

If I had the money and space, I would choose the van.

• Like 2

I chose a truck because it is also my daily driver and sometimes the family cruiser.  Cargo vans I have ridden in are very loud and uncomfortable for a daily driver.  I'm talking cheap vans here not a brand new van or fancy Mercedes sprinter van.  Even if the choice was between a $35,000 truck or $35,000 van, I would choose the truck.  As for security, I have chains to lock the bikes up in the bed of the truck so no worries there and I can fit all my gear and tools in the back seat.  I have an F-150 and the back seat is enormous.

I am very happy with my 2007 3 liter turbo diesel Sprinter passenger van (144" wheelbase, standard height).  The van easily tows a lightweight travel trailer while carrying one or two bikes in the 8 foot cargo space behind the 2nd 3 person seat.  I have used this setup for over 10 yrs with nary a hitch.  While towing the trailer fuel mileage ranges from 14-16 mpg; solo without the trailer yields  22-24 mpg if you go easy on the throttle.

I have a work van that I love it’s a 2015 Ford Transit t150. I’ve put the dirt bike in it before but it’s a work van and usually loaded with my work stuff. I’m chiming in here to support vans because they rock. 

Any pictures of the bike in your van? Assuming it’s a low roof if it’s a 150 but I’m not sure. I’m curious to see how a bike fits as all I’ve seen are medium and high roof transits with bikes

On 2/24/2018 at 9:26 PM, Puddn421 said:

Any pictures of the bike in your van? Assuming it’s a low roof if it’s a 150 but I’m not sure. I’m curious to see how a bike fits as all I’ve seen are medium and high roof transits with bikes

I only have a few photos of the bike in the van. The ecoboost engine is amazing. I’ve gotten up to 27 mpg fully loaded on highway at 55 mph, normal milage is 16-19 If you keep your foot out of it. Yes it’s a T150 low roof short wheelbase

A7586B9B-BD8B-44CC-B3BB-C89984E7F90C.jpeg

Edited by Guest