Limited budget...Knee braces or good boots?

Hey guys instead of starting another thread I may as well post it here since is the subject at hand. 

I'm about to buy a pair of boots as well...Looking at a nearly new pair of Gaerne SG1's.  What are your guys opinions with these boots?   Obviously a bit cheaper quality than the sg10 or 12 so I'm wondering how well they would hold up?  

And what would be a good price to pay for a lightly used pair of sg1's?  

Thanks for the help 

4 hours ago, Force10 said:

Boots it is! I'm glad cause that's what I was leaning towards anyway. Appreciate the comments gents.

HOWEVER. I think the "ride slower" or "don't ride at all" comments are BS. Just because I'm wearing $100 motocross boots and some older Fox kneegaurds? I'm covered from head to toe in moto gear...some good quality and some cheaper. I'm going through and upgrading some of my gear from "serviceable" to good...so the elitist comments are crap IMO.

No wonder this sport is in decline...just cause someone only has 1k in gear instead of the top of the line 4k's worth...you're acting like I shouldn't be out there.

16 minutes ago, dittohead said:

If you have any issues with your knees I’d go with the braces. I’ve got pretty serious knee issues and without braces I wouldn’t be able to ride. Also don’t worry about the guys who claim you need all the best gear to ride/race. That is complete horse shit and buying less expensive gear doesn’t mean you will get hurt. However I will say that there is a definite difference between good boots and cheaper ones and since Ive owned a pair of Sidi’s for a few years I’d have a very tough time going back to a low end boot. My opinion is based more from a comfort and feature standpoint though. I don’t feel like they are any “safer” then a mid range boot, just a lot nicer to wear and use

You don't have to have top-of-the line gear to be properly protected, you just need the gear to match the level of crash that you could have.  If you are an intermediate/advanced MX rider, you're going to need better gear than someone who is a beginner sticking to light trail riding.   

Now, personally, I'd never trust a pair of entry level/mid-priced boots (or any other piece of gear). And if that was all that I could afford, I'd stay away form the tracks, or stop riding all together.  This is a high-risk sport, and I'm will to accept a certain amount of risk...but I'm not willing to take unnecessary risks by wearing inappropriate gear.  It's not being an elitist, it's just being smart about it.

Beside, a trip to the ER is going to cost a lot more than a pair of good boots and knee braces.  Not to mention the cost of the time away from work, and/or the long term side-affects that injuries could have.

5 hours ago, Force10 said:

Boots it is! I'm glad cause that's what I was leaning towards anyway. Appreciate the comments gents.

HOWEVER. I think the "ride slower" or "don't ride at all" comments are BS. Just because I'm wearing $100 motocross boots and some older Fox kneegaurds? I'm covered from head to toe in moto gear...some good quality and some cheaper. I'm going through and upgrading some of my gear from "serviceable" to good...so the elitist comments are crap IMO.

No wonder this sport is in decline...just cause someone only has 1k in gear instead of the top of the line 4k's worth...you're acting like I shouldn't be out there.

Maybe my reading comp is slipping but I didn’t see any elitist comments in this thread. You asked about boots vs knee guards and got answers sans price points or definitive brand needs. I’m taking the responses as ride within your skill set and level of protection, no need to be put off. Have fun out there! :ride:

30 minutes ago, Jrs Turn said:

Maybe my reading comp is slipping but I didn’t see any elitist comments in this thread.

Hmmm...

7 hours ago, William1 said:

If you cannot protect yourself, you have to ride slower.

6 hours ago, jmfreeman535 said:

But I do agree with William...if one cannot protect themselves properly, they should tone it down.  Or don't ride at all.

Sure seemed to me...that my gear isn't cutting it so I should ride slower or not at all.

1 hour ago, dittohead said:

If you have any issues with your knees I’d go with the braces. I’ve got pretty serious knee issues and without braces I wouldn’t be able to ride. Also don’t worry about the guys who claim you need all the best gear to ride/race. That is complete horse shit and buying less expensive gear doesn’t mean you will get hurt. However I will say that there is a definite difference between good boots and cheaper ones and since Ive owned a pair of Sidi’s for a few years I’d have a very tough time going back to a low end boot. My opinion is based more from a comfort and feature standpoint though. I don’t feel like they are any “safer” then a mid range boot, just a lot nicer to wear and use

No issues with my knees at all. They feel the same as they did in my 20's...never had any injuries to them. The only soreness I feel after a race or long trail ride is sore muscles in my thighs...but that's normal I would think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Force10 said:

Hmmm...

Sure seemed to me...that my gear isn't cutting it so I should ride slower or not at all.

At 50 years old nature will take care of the riding slower part.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can tease you about that because I hit the +50 class this year as well.   :cheers:  

• Like 1

Just going back to the Boots or Knee Braces discussion. I would highly recommend going for Knee Braces over boots. Nobody thinks they need braces until something happens, and then they wish they had since the start. I won't ride my bike without my braces at all now.

You already have boots that work, you currently don't have braces. Why not get the braces first and then if you wish/need to upgrade the boots later. 

I've broken my ankle riding and also had 3 knee injuries, surgery on all accidents excluding one. I wish I got braces instead of the Tech 10s (which I still broke my ankle in and needed pins)

• Like 1

I'd go boots all day. In fact I think a decent pair of boots is more important in the dirt than a top level helmet.

I must admit to not feeling the need for knee braces, I just wear some good pads.

But, each to their own I guess.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, X1 Mike said:

At 50 years old nature will take care of the riding slower part.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can tease you about that because I hit the +50 class this year as well.   :cheers:  

Aint that the truth! Add the fact that I've only been riding a dirt bike for 2 years and you have a recipe for molasses...lol.

I guess maybe there's a misconception when I said I race...with all this inferior gear. If anyone's seen my race vids I've posted here...they would realize the term "race" is used rather loosely at the 50 year old beginner level. It's not so much a race...more like a Sunday cruise with a gate drop at the beginning. :lol:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, db330 said:

Just going back to the Boots or Knee Braces discussion. I would highly recommend going for Knee Braces over boots. Nobody thinks they need braces until something happens, and then they wish they had since the start. I won't ride my bike without my braces at all now.

You already have boots that work, you currently don't have braces. Why not get the braces first and then if you wish/need to upgrade the boots later. 

I've broken my ankle riding and also had 3 knee injuries, surgery on all accidents excluding one. I wish I got braces instead of the Tech 10s (which I still broke my ankle in and needed pins)

You make a good point. I will say that while knee braces will cut down the risk to the knees somewhat...they're not foolproof. The first race of the season a few weeks ago...my buddy (in one class up from me) got in a wad up in the first corner of the first moto and tore is MCL and ACL and he was wearing expensive knee braces. I will probably get them eventually but I'm going with the boots first. Missing shifts because of boots right at a jump face can be hazardous as well with an over the bars situation.

18 hours ago, Force10 said:

Alright...let's break this down from the top. Here's what I've been wearing since I started racing:

Fox V2 Helmet

Fox Air Defense goggles

EVS R2 race collar

Well ventilated moto jersey

Fox LC proframe roost deflector

Fox Airframe Pro Sleeve with built in elbow, bicep and shoulder protection

Fox kidney belt/spine protector

Fox Pawtector gloves

Bilt Dominator CE Armored Shorts

Fox 180 riding pants

Fox Knee/shin guards

Oneal rider boots (soon to be SG10's!)

So what doesn't make sense to me...is the thought process that unless you're geared up like a factory rider on the pro circuit with disposable income...you're not protecting yourself and shouldn't be racing in the Over the Hill Gang at the beginner level? If every racer had to meet your requirements...race day would have about 30 riders and the sport would be all but dead.

Even with the most expensive gear...you will get hurt eventually. It only takes 5lbs of pressure to break a collarbone...don't care what you're wearing, that will go if you land hard enough on it.

Ditch the jersey and your good to go

• Like 1

The SG-10s are a great option. I bought a pair last year and they were my first hinged/mid-high level boot and I won't go back to anything else. I was rocking tech3s before.

As for braces, I bought a pair of EVS RS-9s. I had a crashed that caused my knee to swell up about twice it's size and decided it was time to buy some. The RS-9s, I think, are a decent entry level brace. I think they are about $200 for a pair

I've never seen so many people posting with screwed up priorities.  Order of importance for gear:

Helmet

Neck brace

Boots

Everything else.

;)

9 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

I've never seen so many people posting with screwed up priorities.  Order of importance for gear:

Helmet

Neck brace

Boots

Everything else.

;)

Yes...we've had this discussion before. Getting by with the R2 race collar for now...which I know you've used in the past and somehow survived. ;)

• Like 1

Just now, Force10 said:

Yes...we've had this discussion before. Getting by with the R2 race collar for now...which I know you've used in the past and somehow survived. ;)

Good support, just bulky.:thumbsup:  You will be amazed at the freedom of movement with a modern brace.

And, lol, I've had this discussion many, many times before, TTers are sick of hearing it. :facepalm::lol:

• Like 1

Maybe thread should read "Limited budget, quit riding???". There is nothing about riding that is budget friendly. G

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2012 450 xc-w said:

Maybe thread should read "Limited budget, quit riding???". There is nothing about riding that is budget friendly. G

You hit the nail on the head.:lol:  I try to ride on a budget by riding a 2003 bike, but it is still expensive. :facepalm:

Boots hands down, You can get away with good knee guards for awhile. Knee braces are nice to have but not as important.

In all honesty, if you don't have knee issues like a lot of older riders then you should congratulate yourself for not needing to spend the stupid amount of money proper knee braces cost. It is however, definitely smart to protect your knees as you're doing in order to prevent needing them. I bought a set of EVS TP199 knee guards and have been extremely happy with them. They fit snug, coverage is good, and are comfortable all day long to where I don't even notice them when riding. Just slide them right on and go. Excellent protection all around the knee cap area.

Good choice in the SG10's. Any particular reason you like the 10's more than the 12's?

https://www.motosport.com/product/?adpos=1o2&cc=us&creative=188670690439&device=c&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzrTUBRCnARIsAL0mqcwPy_c9VUlJ9OV63i25fU24vFwn3adEqcPRlCYQhLTT-2rDJ6e6JGgaAnvUEALw_wcB&key=EVS-TP199-Knee-Guards&matchtype=&mrkgadid=3193665142&mrkgcl=500&network=g&product_id=EVS007R-X001-Y001&pssource=true&rkg_id=h-42fee869a678013ec7621e67a8fbce56_t-1519255642&segment=badger

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dmcgill87 said:

In all honesty, if you don't have knee issues like a lot of older riders then you should congratulate yourself for not needing to spend the stupid amount of money proper knee braces cost. It is however, definitely smart to protect your knees as you're doing in order to prevent needing them. I bought a set of EVS TP199 knee guards and have been extremely happy with them. They fit snug, coverage is good, and are comfortable all day long to where I don't even notice them when riding. Just slide them right on and go. Excellent protection all around the knee cap area.

Good choice in the SG10's. Any particular reason you like the 10's more than the 12's?

https://www.motosport.com/product/?adpos=1o2&cc=us&creative=188670690439&device=c&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzrTUBRCnARIsAL0mqcwPy_c9VUlJ9OV63i25fU24vFwn3adEqcPRlCYQhLTT-2rDJ6e6JGgaAnvUEALw_wcB&key=EVS-TP199-Knee-Guards&matchtype=&mrkgadid=3193665142&mrkgcl=500&network=g&product_id=EVS007R-X001-Y001&pssource=true&rkg_id=h-42fee869a678013ec7621e67a8fbce56_t-1519255642&segment=badger

Wow...I never heard of those. They seem pretty nice and a good knee guard until proper braces can be purchased.

Thanks for posting! :thumbsup:

• Like 1