Bike Ran Stopped now wont start

Hi Im thinking of buying a DRz400e off a buddy of mine. he pressure washed it one night. next day he started it rode it about 200m then it stopped now it will turn over and backfire but wont start. its only done 10,000mi should i buy or steer clear? what could the problem be? Thanks in advance

Cheers,

Nusk

Sounds like the pressure washing didn't go too well. What has been done to trouble shoot the problem? Have you checked that the pressure wash didn't dislodge something (like a carb boot or a wire)? "My bike don't run" is kind of hard to diagnose over the internet.

Edited by Gary in NJ
13 minutes ago, Gary in NJ said:

"My bike don't run" is kind of hard to diagnose over the Internet.

This ^^ 
Help us help you.. 
You asked "what could be wrong" the answer from what you have told us is...Everything or Anything.
There is also the very real possibility A has nothing to do with B, it is just a coincidence.
You or your buddy or someone else needs to approach this as just a non starting bike forget the how you think it happened for now..and  trouble shoot the problem.

Whenever I'm trying to diagnose a problem with unknown origin i start with the premise that every engine needs four things to run... air, gas, spark, and compression. Check to make sure your getting all four and I recommend in that order(easiest to fix to hardest). 

He just asked if he should buy or pass.

I'd pass on a non-running bike unless I can get some proof of life or is priced as a parts bike.

40 minutes ago, Rhinoracer said:

He just asked if he should buy or pass.

I'd pass on a non-running bike unless I can get some proof of life or is priced as a parts bike.

Well thats HALF of what he asked,

6 hours ago, Nusk450x said:

should i buy or steer clear? what could the problem be? Thanks in advance

Its the second thing no one can really help with.   The first Q I agree with you, its  a parts bike, value is for the parts I can see and confirm resalable 

Well if it ran fine , then was pressure washed (which is a big no-no , reason likely for this thread) I go with laws of probabilities . Water is no good for electricity , forced water gets past seals and into electrical places . I'd first blow out all switches and reasonably exposed connectors , sparkplug boot and coil ,ect.. then see if it starts . then check for water in the carb and the list goes darker from there . I'd bet it's simply water in where it isn't nice.

Sounds like a good excuse to get a good deal on a probably perfectly fine bike. Might be and probably is completely unrelated to the pressure washing is it went 200 miles afterwards. It might have a spec of fuel line in the pilot jet. Who knows? Working on bikes is part of owning bikes. It's inevitable that something will go wrong and you'll have to fix it.

Whatever's wrong with it it doesn't sound catastrophic.

I work in a field where we troubleshoot very complex problems every day.  Don't get hung up on the power washing.  It may or may not be related.  But if you get it stuck in your head that's the cause it can lead you down the wrong path.  If you changed the tires, rode it 200 meters and it died, would you be convinced it's the tires?

As tplayer100 said, check all the basics just like you would starting any diagnosis.

• Air - Is the air filter dry, are their any obstructions in the air box (you'd be surprised how many people leave rags in them accidentally.
  • Spark - pull the plug, put the cap back on, hold it against the cylinder and crank the motor.  Do you get a sting spark?
  • Fuel - Is there gas in the tank?  Pull the hose off the carb...  Are you getting fuel at the carb (I don't think the e models have the vacuum petcock, but if they do out the petcock on prime and diagnose from there)
  • Compression - Does it feel like the motor has good compression?  If it's questionable you may have to do a compression and/or leak down test.

Would I buy the bike?  Not until your buddy has it running 100% or drops the price by a large amount and sells it as a non-running bike.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Doc

ok thanks for your replies. mixed answers from you. my plan is to buy for about $1000 they are $8000 new here and usually $3-5k second hand in ok condition. second i dont want to start looking until i have the bike incase its simple and i get it going and the price goes up. cheers for all your replies.