WTB RV Deep Cycle Batteries

california

Completely of topic here, but worth a shot, looking for a good place to purchase a couple of new deep cycle batteries. These have really gone up in price recently, so reaching out for a connection in the forum might work. In the LA area, but get down to OC all the time, any contact help would be great, thanks all.

I've had good luck with Costco's deep cycle batteries for my trailer and when I had a boat.

I too will be looking for replacement batteries before my next camping trip.  been told SAMsClub is a good place.  and I also noticed Home depot on-line has great prices for the same, but out of stock for many of what I was looking at.  

put them in series and run 6v golf cart batteries also available at costco

These are the batteries I put in my MH.

IMG_2635.jpg

26 minutes ago, bordsmnj said:

put them in series and run 6v golf cart batteries also available at costco

Do you really get that much more performance out of them doing this?

2 hours ago, ARNIEDIRT said:

Completely of topic here, but worth a shot, looking for a good place to purchase a couple of new deep cycle batteries. These have really gone up in price recently, so reaching out for a connection in the forum might work. In the LA area, but get down to OC all the time, any contact help would be great, thanks all.

What size.? I can hook you up with interstates 

Forget all other deep cycle batteries. Convert to 6v and use golf cart batteries, you get far more Ah out of them. I use these http://lifelinebatteries.com/products/marine-batteries/gpl-4ct/     they will outlast typical deep cycle by 2 or 3 times. Even though they seem expensive, you will spend this in regular batteries easily. Have a pair in my 31' Toy hauler for 8 years now. G

19 minutes ago, Beardman said:

Do you really get that much more performance out of them doing this?

yes. bigger deeper cycle. no more O2 sensor alarms at 4am.

1 hour ago, KennyMc said:

These are the batteries I put in my MH.

IMG_2635.jpg

do these Trojans get holes poked in them?  curious if we have to worry about little batteries running around.  

question on two 6 volt versus two 12 volt. 

wouldn't two 12 volt deep cycle batteries with 140 reserve capacity each ran parallel, last longer between charges than two 6 volt batteries with a 200 reserve capacity running in series.  my understanding is that the two 12 volter batteries would double the capacity to 280 reserve, whereas the series would stay at 200.  or is the selling point on the golf cart batteries is that they have better deep cycle recovery when discharged too far and/or a longer lifespan??

Edited by the 'Sarge'
12 minutes ago, the 'Sarge' said:

question on two 6 volt versus two 12 volt. 

wouldn't two 12 volt deep cycle batteries with 140 reserve capacity each ran parallel, last longer between charges than two 6 volt batteries with a 200 reserve capacity running in series.  my understanding is that the two 12 volter batteries would double the capacity to 280 reserve, whereas the series would stay at 200.  or is the selling point on the golf cart batteries is that they have better deep cycle recovery when discharged too far and/or a longer lifespan??

Depends how many amps are being drawn.

3 hours ago, KennyMc said:

I believe this is the place I bought my Trojan deep cycle batteries for my Motorhome.

http://www.yamahagolfcarsofca.com

He said "Trojan Deep Cycle" 

When running parallel with 12v you only get Ah rating of the batteries, not doubled. When you run 6vin series you double the Ah rating. Lasts much longer than 2 12's run in parallel as they don't double capacity. Think of it this way- when you run 2 12's in parallel you only end up with 12v, not 24, therefore you only get the Ah rating of the batteries not doubled. When you put 2 6v in series, you double the output to 12v, and double the Ah rating. G

Edited by 2012 450 xc-w
rym
2 minutes ago, Scottwr12345 said:

Depends how many amps are being drawn.

ok, I will look at the specs, and calculate my average draw to see what is best for me.  I do have solar and carry a generator. 

Until my current batteries died out, my solar panel usually has me back up to 100% battery level well before 9am., and keeps me good until the sun goes down.  then by the am, depending on usages, i will still have plenty of battery.  except recent two trips since the batteries failed.  either overcharged or drained too far.  unable to recover them.  so, before the next trip, I will decide which way to go.

another consideration is the space on the toungue.  it fits two 12 volt group 24 batteries in locked boxes without any room for bigger batteries     

9 minutes ago, 2012 450 xc-w said:

When running parallel with 12v you only get Ah rating of the batteries, not doubled. When you run 6vin series you double the Ah rating. Lasts much longer than 2 12's run in parallel as they don't double capacity. Think of it this way- when you run 2 12's in parallel you only end up with 12v, not 24, therefore you only get the Ah rating of the batteries not doubled. When you put 2 6v in series, you double the output to 12v, and double the Ah rating. G

from various sites,  

when you connect two identical batteries in parallel, you double the output capacity while keep the output voltage the same as either battery. In the other case, if two identical batteries are connected in series, the output voltage is doubled but the output capacity is kept the same as either battery.

what I read is that if each battery has a 140 ah reserve capacity.  then parallel would net 280  and series would net 140

Edited by the 'Sarge'

Sorry to the original poster if I somewhat hijacked your thread.  ;-)

8 minutes ago, the 'Sarge' said:

from various sites,  

when you connect two identical batteries in parallel, you double the output capacity while keep the output voltage the same as either battery. In the other case, if two identical batteries are connected in series, the output voltage is doubled but the output capacity is kept the same as either battery.

what I read is that if each battery has a 140 ah reserve capacity.  then parallel would net 280  and series would net 140

12 volt batteries in parallel will net you the same ah. What changes when you do series is the volts if I remember from RV forums. You will get more ah from 2 6volt in series. Locate a golf cart store and get the best prices for Trojans anyway. I had 2 12 volts die on me last year. I have 2 (100 watt) solar panels and 2 T-105's going on when weather warms up for my unit.