What to to do on 300 RR

So I had a little lay down on the bike the other day and broke my upper sub-frame and air box. I got the bike tore down yesterday and wondered if there was anything else that I should be doing while I have it apart. I was thinking about installing a heavier duty spring? I am not the original owner but I believe it is the stock spring. I am 210 lbs with no gear so

1. Is it worth it?

2. How do I find the correct spring?

3. Is it a project for a novice handyman, and does it require special tools?

At some point when work picks up I would like to send the suspension off on my 500 and 300. The 300 is new to me but I know that I will bottom out the 500 when I land in the flat on jumps. I should say that this is just adventure riding no track my main goals are traction, confidence, and safety. 

gn

20180225_164313.jpg

Edited by newk75
  • Like 1

Spring replacement is easy if you are mechanically inclined, my suggestion would be to get ahold of Steve at afterhourscycle.com for advice and springs. I would say at your weight you definitely need a change in spring rate and from what I have learned Beta's spring rate chart is light - others may shed some light on that.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Derik Violette said:

If your at that point i would regrease all your swingarm and linkage bearings especially the lower shock one

Good point!

• Like 1

If you're going to replace the rear spring you 'NEED" to replace the front as well to keep the bike balanced. Not doing so would be more dangerous than leaving it as is, that being said setting up your suspension for your weight is crucial in getting the bike setup correctly. You should read up on "Suspension SAG" and how that affects a bike, it really can't be understated how crucial this is. Sure you can get away with things as they are but you're really sacrificing a lot of enjoyment out of your bike and it's more dangerous.

• Like 1

If you are 210 without gear the bike is significantly undersprung. You need in the range of a .46 fork spring (.42 stock), and 5.3 shock spring (stock 4.7).

Suspension set up for your weight and riding ability is the single biggest improvement you can make. 

• Like 2

More like a 5.8kg - 6.0kg shock spring.  That's not a 4.7kg stock, more like a 5.2kg.  Only the '13 came with a totally ridiculous 4.8kg. 

• Like 1

I'm 185 and have tried a few springs and now run a 5.8.

I will admit that I did think that all the hubbub about suspension for this style of riding was a bit overblown. However, this summer I was able to ride two KTM 500 excs back to back. One had a custom suspension, the other did not. The difference was night and day. The stock Beta was much better than the stock KTM but not as good as the KTM with custom suspension.  I figured if that much improvement could be expected  it would make a significant difference in confidence. I am @ a level of riding that confidence is the difference between laying it down or not when the going gets tough. While I do not know all the technical terms I can see the difference between the front end washing out and it staying on the trail. When you are following someone and see their back tire kicking out on every rock, momentum is lost and the jig is up. Tire set up has helped me a lot but I want to do the suspension work ASAP. Any idea how much I'd be into it to get it re-sprung and dialed in if I were to ship the front and rear suspension? I had thought about sending it to Slavens as they do the exact kind of riding that I do, albeit they do a better job of riding the same stuff. 

Is it important that a suspension shop do the kind of riding that I do in order to know how to set mine up?  

gn

• Like 1

Yea it helps that a shop would ride and know but there are general suspension calculators that are good as well. I got great results with racetech gold valves in the past. Check their site to see how those work.. just plug you and your bike info into the calculator to see what the spring rates come out to just to get an idea .. change input to see changes if you like aswell. In addition some tuners are just experienced from years of tuning and get yo to a great setup. Suspension tuning isn’t an exact science too as some have different preferences.Still you ought to find some right in the ballpark. 

I think that getting your suspension done by those that do Beta suspension more is a better bet. Some have said Steve at afterhoursetc..Guys like the work there. Stillwell , LT, Beta factory suspension etc. You bring your suspension to a dealer and beta sends the packing containers to the dealer to send your suspension in. Look at the Betausa site and look up the suspension upgrade choices. Im lucky as my beta dealer is a great rider and suspension guy for many years. I just ride with his setup and like it alot. You can read up in beta threads on suspension choices. It runs the gamut of just ordering from beta to guys doing all themselves. 

Im around 225 lbs in street clothes and run my spring rates front and back for someone 270lbs. Everyones a little different depending. I rode a variety of spring rates and liked this better for my 300 rr. 

Heres a spring rate chart just to see..

http://www.motosupply.com/beta-motorcycles-beta-beta-stroke-spring-chart-pi-1219.html?osCsid=qmhp09tmfvuenoprg7cfvftfa6

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Yea it helps that a shop would ride and know but there are general suspension calculators that are good as well. I got great results with racetech gold valves in the past. Check their site to see how those work.. just plug you and your bike info into the calculator to see what the spring rates come out to just to get an idea .. change input to see changes if you like aswell. In addition some tuners are just experienced from years of tuning and get yo to a great setup. Suspension tuning isn’t an exact science too as some have different preferences.Still you ought to find some right in the ballpark. 

I think that getting your suspension done by those that do Beta suspension more is a better bet. Some have said Steve at afterhoursetc..Guys like the work there. Stillwell , LT, Beta factory suspension etc. You bring your suspension to a dealer and beta sends the packing containers to the dealer to send your suspension in. Look at the Betausa site and look up the suspension upgrade choices. Im lucky as my beta dealer is a great rider and suspension guy for many years. I just ride with his setup and like it alot. You can read up in beta threads on suspension choices. It runs the gamut of just ordering from beta to guys doing all themselves. 

Im around 225 lbs in street clothes and run my spring rates front and back for someone 270lbs. Everyones a little different depending. I rode a variety of spring rates and liked this better for my 300 rr. 

Heres a spring rate chart just to see..

http://www.motosupply.com/beta-motorcycles-beta-beta-stroke-spring-chart-pi-1219.html?osCsid=qmhp09tmfvuenoprg7cfvftfa6

Thanks for the spring chart, suspension discussion is all over the map on TT. I definitely don't feel qualified to crack into them myself. I need a friend like yours. I know that preference is a lot of it, however, I think I need to find a guy familiar with Beta and that rides the stuff I do, and just have him replicate his setup with my info in mind. Hopefully, I can dial it in from there.

One of the problems with me messing with it myself is that all of the riding that I would be setting it up for is 6+ hours from home. I don't have the luxury of trying something and then riding and making changes. I need to be as close as possible when I load up the bike. Not only that, I don't want it setup for local riding. All we have here is dirt roads..... If I like it here it may be a mess in Colorado or Utah. 

Any idea of a $ range to get started. I know it could be as much as I want, but what would be a good starting estimate? 

Thanks for the spring chart, suspension discussion is all over the map on TT. I definitely don't feel qualified to crack into them myself. I need a friend like yours. I know that preference is a lot of it, however, I think I need to find a guy familiar with Beta and that rides the stuff I do, and just have him replicate his setup with my info in mind. Hopefully, I can dial it in from there.

One of the problems with me messing with it myself is that all of the riding that I would be setting it up for is 6+ hours from home. I don't have the luxury of trying something and then riding and making changes. I need to be as close as possible when I load up the bike. Not only that, I don't want it setup for local riding. All we have here is dirt roads..... If I like it here it may be a mess in Colorado or Utah. 

Any idea of a $ range to get started. I know it could be as much as I want, but what would be a good starting estimate? 

Call LT racing, I’m guessing bout $600.00 with springs
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, newk75 said:

Yea there’s a wide range. Start with springs and oil and seal prices plus labor as the cheapest and go up from there then factor shipping or dropping off yourself etc.. Thats base price.. Gotta do your own legwork for your particular needs and just give your riding level and weight blah blah blah. You can shop for price and if it’s a closer location or a variety of factors. I could have sent my stuff to Stillwell or Beta factory services and maybe install one of their upgrade fork kits maybe or afterhours or Stillwell suspension or other places.  Actually I rode a Stillwell setup 250rr and just told my dealer I wanted the same springrate. I bet a revalve would be better but I was happy with my bike just with stiffer springs and serviced with different weight oil etc. It wasn’t as good as the Stillwell but it was close enough.. Bike worked good with medium settings then slowed the rebound a bunch.  

Shop around and talk to more people. Best is if you could ride other people’s bikes but sounds like that’s hard where you are. Look amongst the reputable Beta sachs tuners some already mentioned. Theyll know what would work for you.  Hell stock Beta suspension is good anyway.  

Ive raced my former 2013 300 rr in sprint enduro and it’s not bad at all. Sure it could be better. It was way too soft for optimal riding but it was still good for a fun day racing. My other Betas suspensions are all different too cc 50 mm zokes etc..My current 300 rr just has the much stiffer springs and I like it. Ive raced and ridden and Im not freaking out and changing forks or whatever some are feeling they want to do. It’s to each their own. Do a little research and pull the trigger on your suspension done. Youll be all good. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, newk75 said:

If you just want to do springs, that's easy enough you could do it at home. The Beta spring chart is good, just realize that the rider weights are with gear. So if you are 210lbs, add xx lbs for gear. There isn't really a "theory" for spring rates...either they are right or they are wrong, checking sag verifies this.

If you want to do the full revalve, any number of places can do it. As Mark said, expect prices w/springs to start around the $600 mark.

• Like 1

Could someone explain what it means to " blow through the stroke"?

6 minutes ago, newk75 said:

Could someone explain what it means to " blow through the stroke"?

Excessive bottoming, i.e. using all the suspension travel with hard bottoming.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sierra_rider said:

Excessive bottoming, i.e. using all the suspension travel with hard bottoming.

Especially easy when a heavy guy like me rides with the stock springs. Bottoming is not good for lots of parts, and even if you don't bottom, a heavy guy on stock springs sags thru most of the travel before they get to even see a rock

Especially easy when a heavy guy like me rides with the stock springs. Bottoming is not good for lots of parts, and even if you don't bottom, a heavy guy on stock springs sags thru most of the travel before they get to even see a rock

I'm not a fan of bottoming out. Hard on the bike and the body. I think I'm getting the point. Springs are a good start.
  • Like 1