The sx ecu is about $400 USD . I have put 62 km on my bike just gravel road and highway . The fan doesn't work so I have a kit coming so my fan will turn on and off automatically . I also have a tps tuner coming because the plug reading could be richer , I think . I am running a little bit of pre mix in my fuel just as a precaution , about 300:1 . We have been hit hard with snow here so the testing has been halted . Just with the ecu though I am pretty sure that the bike is making way more power . There is more detail on the link at the top of the post . 

I guess I going to try a phone call, for alittle more clarity on the sxf mapping to someone who does this routinely, and report back.)))

The 3rd party tuner feed back

Okay, so what I got back was, they knew the ecu would work, but not sure how close the mapping would be, and since there's no fan operation, wasn't worth the investment time pursuing( for oem type fan operation).  Even with an unlocked ecu (either eu mapped or sxf mapped), the main programing firmware(to say what model it is) has to be installed by a dealer, they can only make fueling and timing changes to an existing unlocked ecu with (With specific model programmed firmware) already installed .

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Airboss/oc said:

don't the MX bikes run a lean ecu setting , its for racing.

Don't know why that would be(as they'd be more apt to blow up), so the fueling should be more aimed at max power, and lean settings don't achieve that, nor do rich for that matter. More so I think 2 strokers don't understand what a (fuel injected) 4 stroke plug should look like on unleaded fuel, they see a whitish plug and assume it needs more fuel.

Now I run a light leaded diet, and the fact that I couldn't get any coloration other than pure white, now that was a little shocking, and was due to excessive leanous with the stock exc map.. So yeah fueling changes were needed there, and it was pretty obvious with surging issues in addition.

Edited by Spud786

On 3/4/2018 at 10:01 AM, rfrmcjape said:

The sx ecu is about $400 USD . I have put 62 km on my bike just gravel road and highway . The fan doesn't work so I have a kit coming so my fan will turn on and off automatically . I also have a tps tuner coming because the plug reading could be richer , I think . I am running a little bit of pre mix in my fuel just as a precaution , about 300:1 . We have been hit hard with snow here so the testing has been halted . Just with the ecu though I am pretty sure that the bike is making way more power . There is more detail on the link at the top of the post . 

Vortex my man Vortex. I don’t think you saved anything on your venture. 

• Like 2

At 400 bucks for the sx ecu this seems like a waste of time.  Have to mess with a work around for the fan and will need fueling/mapping changes for the exc's.  I'm sure sx will run on an exc but the fuel and timing is going to be wrong= more time spent at dealer or elsewhere to get the tuning correct= more dollar bills.  All said and done id be willing to bet there will be little to no cost savings and defiantly alot more time invested.

Imo the vortex for 300 bucks more is worth it, works with the fan and setup for the bike with the ability to make adjustments.

Athena Get may be another good option dont know much about it tho.

This just my take on it tho.  I don't blame you guys for trying tho!

yep I agree don't waste money or time. the vortex solves all the problems on the 2017-18 s. and if you think about it the  lean ECU setting will cook your engine in the desert and mountain single track , my high/octane fuel from Sunoco does the trick

• Like 1

On 3/5/2018 at 7:32 PM, InRoostWeTrust said:

Pre mixing any oil in a 4-stroke (or 2-stoke) actually leans out your fuel to air mixture. Adding oil to fix a lean ECU map won't help, it will actually make it more lean.

Took me years to finally get that ingrained in my brain!