Flaking metal in cylinder.

6 hours ago, KDXGarage said:

In picture 1, why is there major cross hatching in most areas, but not toward the bottom?

The lack of cross hatching near the port is due to excessive wear

The smooth band at the very bottom of the cylinder (top of the pic) isn't part of the piston/cylinder contact surface 

and is tapered to help compress the piston ring during installation.

• Like 1

I think I can see a crack in your cylinder.  Take a good look at the second pic, there is a line running up between the flaked off spots, which would explain why it's flaking there.  Tough call.  If it fails badly, it could take out the crank and the cases.

I’m not risking it. I’m not going on my trip but it’s for the best anyway. I’m gonna get it replated and buy a new crank too because sand is in the motor. Thanks for all the input guys. The machinist also found a step under the intake port which would probably explain the lean condition and the rings moving in and out. Oh well braaaap.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lehiguy said:

I think I can see a crack in your cylinder.  Take a good look at the second pic, there is a line running up between the flaked off spots, which would explain why it's flaking there.  Tough call.  If it fails badly, it could take out the crank and the cases.

I had the same thought, seems to run through between the flake spots to the port?

I think it should be sent out to one of the replating vendors to inspect and re plate.  Send the new piston with it or buy one from them, so they can size it.  Not sure what you mean about "honing it out" if you hone until the chips are gone so is the Nikasil.

Edited by mbrick