utah Moab March 11-15 Need advice or a guide

Hello everyone. I've been a longtime user of the forum, but this will be my first post.

I'm taking my son and his friend, both aged 19, to Moab, UT to ride for 4-5 days. I've seen quite a bit of information on this forum, bookmarked several maps, etc., but would love to find someone, or a group of people, to show us the area. I'm happy to pay someone who knows the area well to guide us around. We'll be arriving on Saturday night, March 10th and plan on leaving on Thursday or Friday to come back home to Ft. Worth.

Any input is welcome, thanks in advance!!

• Like 2

I wouldn’t call myself an expert in the area I have ridden out there once or twice a year for the last 5 years. I would make recommendations depending on how you’re staying? Camping or Motel? Bikes plated or not?

Sunday
Poison spider Mesa
Ride arch loop - Good entry to slick rock riding
Gold spike - gold bar over to where eagles dare and tunnel trail
Depending on gas and plates ride out gold spike to gemi bridges road or
Return to potash road.

Monday
Sand flats - just fun
Hells revenge Jeep trail - mostly slick rock
Ride hells gate just steep rock on the overlook spur
Devils hot tub - I never make it
Ride the escalator- I never make this either
Finish hells revenge by the abyss and then ride the slick rock trail
This brings you back to the abyss then ride the practice loop back sand flats road.
Ride west and then ride fins and things.
Go back to milts’s at the bottom of the hill for lunch burgers and shakes.
Go back up and ride porcupine rim trail to overlook

Tuesday
Behind the rocks

Wednesday
5 miles of hell

Thursday
? I would be tired but if still riding might drive to white wash and ride dead cow, Mary’s trail or Enduro loop

Friday leave early
Ride rabbit valley on way home stay Grand junction.

Saturday

Sleep while the kids drive home

How do you get your bike out of the hot tub if you don' make it?  We went solo and easily found enough trails to keep us busy. A guided ride would be great though. 

What's the skill level your group?  5 miles of Hell is extremely difficult.  The name fits.

We'll be out there early April.  We are mostly middle aged intermediate riders.  Our schedule will be something like this.

Monday - Slick Rock, Hells Reveng and Porcupine Rim, lunch at Milts

Tues - Gold Bar Rim, Gold Spike and Poison Spider

Wed - Sovereign & Salt Wash in morning.  Gemini Bridges & Bull Canyon in afternoon

Thur - 7 mile Rim, Monitor & Merrimac

Fri - Trailer bikes out to White Wash

If you stay at Archview campground north, or other open nearby camping spots, you can ride right from camp Tues, Wed and Thurs. 

When you're back, please post a ride report and some pics.

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for the great input! This is exactly what I was looking for.

As for our group, I'm 58 year old former desert racer and currently a "B" level rider. I also spent several years competing in Observed Trials and will love the rock portions of the ride. My son is 19 and a "B" rider, his friend is also 19 and hasn't been on a bike in several years. We're taking him riding this weekend to assess his skill level.

We'll be staying in town at one of the hotels, likely the Comfort Suites. None of our bikes are plated. I'm on a 2017 Beta 300RR, my son rides a 2013 KTM 300MXC, and his friend will be on our "loaner bike" which is a 2003 Yamaha YZ 250 set up for trail riding. It has larger tank, Bark Buster's, flywheel weight, and a Rekluse.

Thanks again for the input, keep it coming!!

B level, trials.....then you might enjoy Behind the Rocks, Pritchet canyon, Amasa Back, rusty nail, and top it off with 5 miles of Hell.  Instead of Thursday's ride above to 7 mile rim, you could do a number of these trails that are right off Kane Creek.   And you can combine Sovereign one morning with gold Bar rim to Poison spider (via Rusty nail) in the afternoon to free up another day.  5 miles of hell is rather far from Moab and would require a whole day.

Chicken Corners is a fun mellow ride. Whoops, small obstacles, and a little sand. Not hard at all but just kind of a fun area

• Like 1

How do you get your bike out of the hot tub if you don' make it?  We went solo and easily found enough trails to keep us busy. A guided ride would be great though. 

Devils hot tub you can get out using the approach. Mickeys hot tub I never seen anyone in there just a lot of black rubber. That’s one I’ll never try. Hells gate is different because both sides are steep. I only ride the side closest to the overlook. Never tried the escalator. I always skip the last face on hells revenge when riding all the out.

On 3/3/2018 at 10:58 AM, LRB said:

Chicken Corners is a fun mellow ride. Whoops, small obstacles, and a little sand. Not hard at all but just kind of a fun area

We saw 3 flash floods on this trail. It was beautiful. 

• Like 1

Just don't go anywhere near there during EJS. ;)

I consider myself maybe a "beginner with a desire to improve" skill level rider and i've done all tthe trails mentioned above.  Some of them without a rekluse and others with a rekluse.  If  you're putting a beginner on a  bike with a rekluse and he isn't a nervous rider he should be fine.

Fitness has been my biggest issue.  Trying to up the speed on the slickrock sections rattles me to the point I can't hang on.  But I'm not 19 anymore.  Riding with teenagers pisses me off now. They don't know how good they have it.

*edit: I haven't done 5 miles of hell.  I'm not ready for that.  In videos it looks more grueling than fun.

Edited by Bachnok

Don’t forget the white sands area. About an hour from Moab and south of green river. I prefer it over a lot of the Moab trails.really good stuff.

• Like 1

I think taking a novice rider on a borrowed yz250 to 5MOH would be a disaster, and it is way outside of Moab.

I really like the White Wash area, lots of variation and its not crowded.

If you are coming from TX to have a Moab experience you should hit the famous trails in Moab.  There are several good trails in the Sand Flats area that have been mentioned.

Keep in mind you will be at 5000ft, and it can take its own toll on you if your from sea level.

Although lots of moto riders frequent Moab I don't consider it a moto freindly town.  At least half the people there want you dead, and most of the rest don't like you.

8 hours ago, RMK800 said:

Don’t forget the white sands area. About an hour from Moab and south of green river. I prefer it over a lot of the Moab trails.really good stuff.

I believe he means White Wash sand dunes and the many surrounding trails.

3 hours ago, chadzu said:

Although lots of moto riders frequent Moab I don't consider it a moto freindly town.  At least half the people there want you dead, and most of the rest don't like you.

I feel in Moab the crowd in Moab is a mix of all kinds.  You will find some tree huggers that don't want you there.  Think hikers, mtn bikers, rock climbers.  But there's plenty of Jeepers and SxS folks who are happy the share the trails.  Then there are regular national park tourists who don't have an opinion.  I would think many of the locals appreciate the business you bring.  I would say most support or don't mind people on dirt bikes.

We should all keep in mind the way we ride shapes what people think.  When I encounter mtn bikers, I try to pull over and allow them to pass.

Also remember to always bring in your back pack a stick of aluminum quick dry JB weld...radiators and crank cases are free game out there........that $5.00 allowed us to continue on our group ride.

On 2/28/2018 at 2:26 PM, 99klr250 said:

What's the skill level your group?  5 miles of Hell is extremely difficult.  The name fits.

We'll be out there early April.  We are mostly middle aged intermediate riders.  Our schedule will be something like this.

Monday - Slick Rock, Hells Reveng and Porcupine Rim, lunch at Milts

Tues - Gold Bar Rim, Gold Spike and Poison Spider

Wed - Sovereign & Salt Wash in morning.  Gemini Bridges & Bull Canyon in afternoon

Thur - 7 mile Rim, Monitor & Merrimac

Fri - Trailer bikes out to White Wash

If you stay at Archview campground north, or other open nearby camping spots, you can ride right from camp Tues, Wed and Thurs. 

When you're back, please post a ride report and some pics.

What, no trip out to Mary's Trail?  Such fond memories, as long as you're going the right direction on the trail... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, estube said:

What, no trip out to Mary's Trail?

Wouldn't miss it.  It's one of the trails out at White Wash.

Yes, fond memories, but maybe not for JR.  I kinda remember you pointing out how a bike could slide down over that ledge. 

The route I have planned out has us going out and back on the piece that includes that climb.  If anybody doesn't like the looks of that climb, they can pause right there until the others come back. 

We've got room for one.  It's not too late to change your mind.