34 posts in this topic

I have yet to find a thread on how great the forks are on an XTrainer.
I put 15w oil in mine and pretty much maxed out the pre-load and clicker and it made it acceptable but it's still nowhere as good as the 20 year-old forks on my KDX.  I think it's totally acceptable to have this bike as-is to make it more affordable but they should have a model with proper suspension.  If they did that for $400US less than the RR I think they would sell faster than they could build them.
Beta should hire me!

IMO you need a fork upgrade. WWguy and others have it figured out for that kind of use. The forks are great for what they are, if they aren't for you and you like all the XT benefits then upgrade away. If you are riding the XT with 15wt turned in then I know what kind of riding you do and that's not the riding (or you aren't the rider) the XT was built for. Nothing wrong with that.

I do feel the XT should come with the bps-k9 kit installed, it would cost them $50 extra per bike....maybe....so boooooo on Beta for that....and Boo on Beta for not having a BYOB or Sachs alternative on the parts shelf.

2 people like this

Now that I have had some time on a trials bike, I think I see what Beta had in mind with the Xtrainer.  That softer suspension is golden for trials-like trail obstacles - and I'm sure that's why they had Olle develop the shock and forks.  I may be wrong, but they probably had the idea that the bike would be used more than most bikes in situations where low speed suspension loading and unloading could be a major factor - which high speed specific forks don't work well for.  They also originally advertised the bike as purposed for newer riders, which would fit the suspension characteristics too.  I just spent this morning having fun with my xtrainer jumping over logs and practicing (small) wheelie turns - things that would be an absolute drag with a racing type suspension.  I went up a steep, usually downhill, overgrown single track trail with no wheel-spin that none of my other bikes could even come close to making.  What a neat do-it-all machine -  I guess the bike's popularity due to the ergos and sweet torquey engine just outgrew Beta's original customer profile - LOL - but well worth the mods for the larger guys IMO.   bikesandcars, I honestly think for trials-like trail obstacles that many of us like to challenge ourselves on, the stock suspension is better than the K9.  I'm still fiddling with my K9 trying to find the sweet spot for my overall riding spectrum.

5 people like this

bikesandcars, I honestly think for trials-like trail obstacles that many of us like to challenge ourselves on, the stock suspension is better than the K9.  I'm still fiddling with my K9 trying to find the sweet spot for my overall riding spectrum.

I agree, for trials like obstacles and riding stock works well. Trials guys seem to care a lot less about dampers in general

I'm redoing my 2006 Sherco 290, it uses paoli forks and a Olle non reservoir piston shock, and it is strikingly similar to the XT design and intent. Having had the K9 apart, I believe they could offer the K9 adjustable base valve and add with stock type valving to make more folks happy.

Once sprung right I like the XT, very playful and fun and forgiving.

I think thicker oil works well for folks running faster trails because it slows down low speed comp and rebound with less impact on high speed...makes it more digressive which seems like many Enduro riders like. Personally I prefer to run thinner oil, I don't like the rebound too sluggish, but that takes messing with the valving.

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, bikesandcars said:

IMO you need a fork upgrade. WWguy and others have it figured out for that kind of use. The forks are great for what they are, if they aren't for you and you like all the XT benefits then upgrade away. If you are riding the XT with 15wt turned in then I know what kind of riding you do and that's not the riding (or you aren't the rider) the XT was built for. Nothing wrong with that.

I do feel the XT should come with the bps-k9 kit installed, it would cost them $50 extra per bike....maybe....so boooooo on Beta for that....and Boo on Beta for not having a BYOB or Sachs alternative on the parts shelf.

I'd be willing to spend $500 if I knew it would make the forks better for the riding I do.  But based on comments I've read, I'm not sure it will.  Plus I also hear comments about this fork not lasting due to internal wearing.  It's hard to justify dropping money on something that isn't going to last.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE almost everything about the XT.  The motor, the brakes, the smaller size, the weight, it climbs like a goat, etc.  I even think the rear shock is good after I got it adjusted to my liking. 

If you have done the cartridge upgrade, please post your likes and dislikes.  I loved Barry's review but there wasn't that much about the cartridge upgrade other than he rode someone else's bike that had it installed.

I'm 67 kg (148 lbs) and I'm still figuring out, what exactly you dislike in these forks. Right now it seems that most dissatisfaction comes from heavier guys. I don't say, that these forks do not have flaws, but it looks like they are critical to bigger riders. I think this is a bit overthinking for a small guy to order a bike with new forks right away. Maybe try to learn to ride with what you've got, get better at it, and maybe after some time you want a better performing bigger bike, not forks. And maybe in that time really good modifications arrive.

Because right now I haven't seen a guy, who was not satisfied with stock forks and after upgrades is perfectly happy with them. Where still seem to be some concerns left. Not worth the cost and hassle. But that's just my opinion. No offence. An what do I know, I have less than 50 hours on my bike....

1 person likes this

I finally installed my Boano Sachs forks and fastway link yesterday.  Installation went smoothly,  but i made a huge mistake.  I did not take enough measurements before I started.  Now that the link it s lowered a little I don't have enough data to get the front and rear ride heights adjusted properly and in balance.  It is hard to tell from feel because the sachs forks ride a lot higher in the stroke even though they are lowered (brand new lighter springs).  Note: the axle is different on the sachs forks so my brand new BRP red front disk guard will no longer bolt on.  Now I need to sell it and order the guard for the 300rr.  

Could one of you with a stock xtrainer give me some ride height measurements for front and rear?  Preferably sitting on the ground under it's own weight,  no rider.  

To change the fork oil, what tools are needed? Looks like the top nut is 46MM is that the only thing that needs to come off the forks to change the oil?

To change the fork oil, what tools are needed? Looks like the top nut is 46MM is that the only thing that needs to come off the forks to change the oil?
Depends on how thorough you want to be. In the spring fork side yes, but that fluid doesn't see much wear either. On the cartridge side you can remove the cartridge pretty easily with the fork out of the bike and clean any crud from the bottom of the fork. It's also easier to drain the cartridge that way. Just basic hand tools.

On 3/12/2018 at 2:47 PM, bikesandcars said:

I'd be willing to spend $500 if I knew it would make the forks better for the riding I do.  But based on comments I've read, I'm not sure it will.  Plus I also hear comments about this fork not lasting due to internal wearing.  It's hard to justify dropping money on something that isn't going to last.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE almost everything about the XT.  The motor, the brakes, the smaller size, the weight, it climbs like a goat, etc.  I even think the rear shock is good after I got it adjusted to my liking. 

If you have done the cartridge upgrade, please post your likes and dislikes.  I loved Barry's review but there wasn't that much about the cartridge upgrade.

I'd be willing to spend $500 if I knew it would make the forks better for the riding I do.  But based on comments I've read, I'm not sure it will.  Plus I also hear comments about this fork not lasting due to internal wearing.  It's hard to justify dropping money on something that isn't going to last. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE almost everything about the XT.  The motor, the brakes, the smaller size, the weight, it climbs like a goat, etc.  I even think the rear shock is good after I got it adjusted to my liking. 

If you have done the cartridge upgrade, please post your likes and dislikes.  I loved Barry's review but there wasn't that much about the cartridge upgrade.

The K9 kit doesn't make the ride "better" necessarily, it makes the base valve adjustable which makes the bike more tunable and flexible. You can tune the base valve in the stock bike with shims to get the compression curve you want in relation to rebound. The bleed that gives rebound adjustability also changes compression. The K9 kit allows a divergence. 

I would recommend the K9 kit if you mostly like the XT suspension but want more tuning ability.

I can't substantiate wear, which is based on many variables. I can say that my Forks seem to be wearing well with minimally contaminated fluid and smooth action. It would make sense to have the forks sent out for some Coatings if you knew you were going to keep the bike a long time and put many hours on it and you liked it the suspension.

After messing around with it I still feel the best value if you want high performance tunable suspension is to hawk eBay for a set of WP open cartridge Forks. You can get those forks for less than 400 a set. You need to budget springs and tuning. For me I Estimated about $800 with forks (400), new bushings and seals (100)new springs and race tech gold valve kit, lowering bushings (300). My labor is free. The variable here is condition... Will 10 year old used Forks last longer than new xtrainer ones? You also have the option to put other KTM forks such as AER, slavens has a video on how to shorten them. For me I just figured I'd sell the xtrainer and buy an RR re

You can do the KYB SSS for a little more, getting them to fit in Machining shortening bushings and wheel spacers takes a little more effort

1 hour ago, bikesandcars said:

The K9 kit doesn't make the ride "better" necessarily, it makes the base valve adjustable which makes the bike more tunable and flexible. You can tune the base valve in the stock bike with shims to get the compression curve you want in relation to rebound. The bleed that gives rebound adjustability also changes compression. The K9 kit allows a divergence. 

I would recommend the K9 kit if you mostly like the XT suspension but want more tuning ability.

I can't substantiate wear, which is based on many variables. I can say that my Forks seem to be wearing well with minimally contaminated fluid and smooth action. It would make sense to have the forks sent out for some Coatings if you knew you were going to keep the bike a long time and put many hours on it and you liked it the suspension.

After messing around with it I still feel the best value if you want high performance tunable suspension is to hawk eBay for a set of WP open cartridge Forks. You can get those forks for less than 400 a set. You need to budget springs and tuning. For me I Estimated about $800 with forks (400), new bushings and seals (100)new springs and race tech gold valve kit, lowering bushings (300). My labor is free. The variable here is condition... Will 10 year old used Forks last longer than new xtrainer ones? You also have the option to put other KTM forks such as AER, slavens has a video on how to shorten them. For me I just figured I'd sell the xtrainer and buy an RR re

You can do the KYB SSS for a little more, getting them to fit in Machining shortening bushings and wheel spacers takes a little more effort

For the cost and time I suggest going with KYB over WP OC. Also I think you will need the spacer to shorten the forks and for the wheel with either brand. Only differences would be the brand of fork since you can find any fork out there from $200 to 1200.

2 people like this

For the cost and time I suggest going with KYB over WP OC. Also I think you will need the spacer to shorten the forks and for the wheel with either brand. Only differences would be the brand of fork since you can find any fork out there from $200 to 1200.
Yep, KYB SSS seems a good swap, better performance. My observation on cost from looking at eBay is they carry a price premium and are more complex to swap, but are better forks, so really it's a preference thing IMO.

The beta front wheel fits the KTM forks with the ktm wheel spacers of that year, easy to buy. To be clear I meant buying the whole triple tree / fork / axle set, not just wp forks. Lowering spacers in wp OC forks are just aluminum bushings drilled for the cartridge rod size and cut to length. Forgot to add the brembo brake caliper.
1 person likes this

I own a 2017 beta xtrainer. I’m 6-0 182lbs and 217lbs with gear.  I bought it because I love technical riding but all my buddies ride a lot faster than me on the single tracks. Then when we get out on open desert on the whoops I would get lost and bounce off the trail.

So I decided to upgrade my suspension. I got the forks from Bay to USA so Bible auto racing. They are fantastic. I can now ride as fast as all of my other buddies even with the saggy rear shock that’s waited for a 170 pound rider. It’s still bouncy for my taste and so I am going to go full enduro suspension.  I originally was going to have the rear shocks rebuilt at Www.allmotoperformance.com.  Out the door was around $500 for a revalve and respring for my weight.  Give him a call, Aaron +1 (406) 351-1633.  He was amazing to work with!  My rear stock shockcollar was damaged by me adjusting the preload maxed out and riding hard it damage the threads. So I couldn’t get that shock rebuild done in time for my race this weekend. So using a local guy he found me a friend of his who builds custom shocks. He’s a pretty big deal in Europe.  http://www.lainersuspension.com/en/. He is building me a shock and trying to get it to me in 4-5 days!  $1100 spring included.  This comes with high and low speed coMpression like all the KTMs and such out there.   I’m going to put it on a day or two and I’ll let you guys know how it goes.   

So, in total, I spent $3k on enduro spec suspension.  I’ve only ridden it with the Bueno racing front forks but the bike can truly shred. It’s amazing on the tight single track hill climbs etc. 

I’m actually having him build the shock 6 mm longer which will give me almost an inch more ground clearance in the rear which means the bike will be almost as tall as a regular Enduro bike yet nimble and light like the cross trainer was designed to be. I’ll be able to use the full length of the boano racing shocks now. 

I bought a chain two links longer and have lengthened out the bolts for my chain tightener and have gained a half inch in wheel base which makes hill climbs a lot more stable With less front and coming up, riding more stably at higher speeds.  I have the Clegg left-hand rear brake which adds a lot of confidence in those steep downhills not needing to cover my right rear foot brake. 

Here are the stock shock and spring dimensions if you need them for reference.   The guys over at Lainer suspension are building me one the exact same size only little bit longer for the additional ground clearance  and for the additional suspension travel in the rear. 

Beta xtrainer shock dimensions:

Eye to eye-450mm

Top eyelet width-21.85mm

Top eyelet ID-10.12mm

Bottom clevis inside width-25.4mm

Bottom clevis outside width-41.4mm

Bottom clevis bolt ID-10.04mm

Bumper to shock body-72.5mm

Bumper length-33.8mm

Shock body cap bottom to top eyelet-227mm

Shock body OD narrow sections-42mm

Shock body OD wide sections-44mm

Center of top mount hole to bottom of reservoir-143mm

Length of unloaded shock spring 235mm

Oem spring dimensions.

Length-235mm

Id-54mm

Od-77.5mm

1 person likes this

I had a beta xtrainer with the k9 upgrade kit, 75kg, 5 foot 7. The bike was great for what it was intended for, but for faster enduro courses, even as a fairly average rider, I found it would bottom out, deflect off small bumps and stones and generally had a nervous front end. I sold the bike as I've been riding more fast, flowing, rutted/ rough terrain of late and was finding I could keep up when on other bikes, but not the xt. Got the 4t fever, I love my new blue italian princess just as much, suspension is at the opposite end of the spectrum though, almost too hard for tech- it's always something! 

Anyways, my advice to anyone would be if they want to go any quicker than 2nd gear can go, invest in some better forks, if you just do slow tech or trials riding, the stock setup works well for that. Try to honestly assess the type of riding you do and your ability, you may not waste as much money as I have on bikes! The rr is heavier and taller, and the oc sachs aren't brilliant in my opinion either. A xtrainer with cc sachs or kybs/ showas would possibly be a better option for a shorter rider. 

tm.jpg.e2a6054d150393e9be04fc1d00109bcf.jpg

5b27cfe504852_betaxt1.jpg.a892ca292e2b7dff367a71b85a177220.jpg

5b27cff261a2d_betaxt2.jpg.1b991c360470fd18de80036e922e75b4.jpg

3 people like this