XR600r first ride/narrowing down issues..

So I finally got my 87 xr600r project ride-able for the first time since I bought it last fall. It definitely still has a few issues but the motor pulled really smooth minus a flat spot or two. So far I replaced the stator, spark plug, rear wheel, tires, chain and sprockets, brakes, and a bunch of engine seals but have more seals to go.. I still have a lot of componets to rebuild / restore but it runs rides and stops safely now.. I took it on two rides once around the block for 30 seconds no issues. The second time I rode it for maybe a minute or so got it back to the garage and let it idle for another minute. It was idling really well before i notice oil pouring out of the top of the left crank case where the clutch cable arm goes. It was dripping pretty good you can see it in the pic but I think i have a seal for that.. While it was idling I noticed the head sounded like something was boiling inside it. I doubt I had it running for more than five minutes and rode probably less then half a mile.. It would take a lot more than that for oil to start boiling, right? I was thinking maybe there could be some type of contaminant or water in there but I drained everything out when I did the stator. Also I didn't really measure how much oil I put in. I had a 5qt jug and poured in around 2qts, I think. Would over filling it cause the head to sound like its boiling or my clutch cable arm oil leak? I didn't notice excessive smoke like any other engine I've seen over filled with oil..  Anyone ever experience this or know what I might want to look for with the boiling? If it is oil boiling what would be the culprit?  I figured I was gonna have to take it completely apart for a rebuild sometime this year or maybe next fall since the head leaks but was hoping to get some riding in before I take it all apart. I might try and start it up again for a bit tomorrow and take some video of the noise. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

Thanks

Devon

20180228_183249.jpg

• Like 1

water in that side compartment with the cover that says xr on it? and yes over filling the oil is not good. 

Edited by Gilligans Isle
  • Like 1

The valves and cam should be getting some oil to keep it all lubricated right? or are you thinking the oil is getting past the valve seals? Could something be clogged causing oil to pool in the head? That is kinda what it sounds like tho with gurgling near the exhaust port and spark plug area the most.. I'll pull the valve caps off tonight and see if I can see anything that might be causing it in there. I'll try and pull off that xr cover when I get home too and see if theirs any water but it didn' sound isolated to that area. Also haven't washed the bike for a month or two.. I would think water would have evaporated since I washed it..  

Thanks

oil won't boil until about 572 degrees, so pretty sure it's not the oil. it may be because it's over filled and that vent tube from the top of the motor to the oil tank in the frame is making the noise because it's too full. I would also check the crankcase vent pipe and hose to make sure it's not clogged or full of oil so the motors trying to vent up through the the top of the motor.

Edited by Gilligans Isle
  • Like 1

Here's a video so you can see what I'm dealing with... Sorry if it's not the best quality.. I took it right after riding around the block and letting it idle for a minute or so.

https://youtu.be/aC6s4S_QbPE

Gilligan that was the first thing I googled after I first heard it. I've babied it all 3 times I rode so it really doubted it got any where near that high a temp.. the only other thing I can imagine might be in there and boil is water. I'll get back out there in a bit to drain the oil and see if it looks milky.. I'm leaning towards the vent hoses, breathers or oil passages might be clogged at this point.. I'll let you know what I find.. 

Oh also the clutch cable arm seal definitely needs replaced but at least it only pours out when it sits on it' kick stand.. also I'm not sure why but someone cut in half and shortend my kick stand quite a bit so it leans at a really bad angle.. :banghead:

I'm really hopping all the oil on the fins is as excessive because a gasket combined with the backed up oil trying to get out rather then a crack in the head.. so far havent found the source of that leak...

To me it sounds like its not getting enough oil to the top - hence the deep fryer crackling noise

Best-Home-Deep-Fryers-For-Fish-Fries-and-More.jpg.02933c32e0a4722622f5d9dfeba31e3e.jpg

blocked oil line / passage

oil pump falure