Time to do fork seals

Replace the bushings while you're in there, low oil probably accelerated wear.

I ran 275cc for a test in my trail ridden CRF250X only for a few rides and the oil was contaminated more than usual.

Polish the tubes with 800 grit wet/dry paper in order to make a fine crosshatch for the new seals.

If the cartridge rods get 'sucked back in' when fully extending them,

it's sign the ICS piston seals and/or lower rod seals are worn. (quite common on these forks)

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

Aftermarket fork bushings and seals (internal cartridge ones in particular) can be hit or miss,

OEM may be more expensive but 99% of the time you can be sure you won't be tearing back into your forks sooner than expected.

• Like 2

I don't doubt OEM are good and aftermarket is a gamble. I had these so lets see how they do. These Moose seals have a "double lip" on the oil side and single lip on top. Gotta be sure to get them in right.
Its hard to do a valid comparison with such a small sample size and so much variability with installation. Also, one of my fork chrome sliders got scratched on a rock...but, I'll prob buy OEM next time.
Anyway, they're back together. Used the standard 330cc of HP-5W in each fork tube. I put the clickers back to the 'standard' position to start.
Top (Compression) = 14 clicks out (of 24)
Bottom (Rebound) = 7 clicks out (of 24)
IMG_2991.jpg
I hope to get out and ride it tomorrow.

• Like 2

Looks like a nice place to ride, lucky the weather is cooperative. 

Exceptionally mild in this region for the past month, thawed from about 3-4 feet of snow down to

a little over a foot but temperatures just below the freezing point have since stopped the melt.

These days kinda stuck between not enough snow to ride the snowmobile but still too much to take out the dirt bike...

MX tracks not opening for another 4-8 weeks.