JD red vs blue needle

DRZ400E - opened stock can 1-3/8" and snorkel removed - SL-3000 in elevation.  I have a JD red needle from a previous E model (used the blue needle but sold the bike) and was wondering if I could make it work like a blue needle by changing the clip position.  I know I'm being a cheap bastage but I'd prefer to use what I have rather than buy a new kit.  I also have 160 and 165 mains left over and can prolly clean the original 45 pilot.  Possible or should I bite the bullet and just buy a kit?

at 3000ft you can try the red at 1 clip richer than old blue.  you may also need a richer position of the pilot screw.

difference between red ad blue was the diamerter and the shape in the first third of the throttle (red was leaner) 

160 should be fine. with emn needle you need a smaller main jet ( 155 or 152.5)

Edited by 30x26
  • Like 2

30x26 - I'm at 800' and ride as high as 3000 but not very often.  May go as low as SL though.  I may try the JD red but would hate to have to go back in and exchange for the EMN.  Ohiodrz - I'll more probably try EMN uright out of the gate.  Although, IIRC, isn't the EMN favored for the FCR MX carb rather than the stock FCR slant found on the E model?

22 hours ago, dukesilver said:

Bought the OCEMN last night.  Any recommendation on the PAJ as I'll be removing it while I'm in there.

if you still have the air cut valve in place just install the new needle.

if you removed it you have two options: 

1-joined ports

2-capped ports and 100 air jet into the bell

Thanks - you read my mind.  I'll be removing the coast enricher, not the PAJ.  I take it the existing PAJ is a smaller size than 100?  Sounds like it's easier to just connect the ports, but I'll keep my eyes open for a 100 PAJ as well.