ALTA Redshift MXR is the future

Yeah lol i live in Wisconsin, so my riding season is like 7 weeks long.  For that 7 weeks, i put my body's needs on hold and just twist the grip haha

Gotta make hay while the sun is shining!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, snydes said:

Gotta make hay while the sun is shining!

Exactly! I do like the company Alta though. The bikes are set up really nicely.  I have ridden the last generation redshift mx and sm.  Weird experience, but the bikes ride well.

I'd CR500 swap the shit outta one if I got one.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think these will really help the sport. Think of going racing in the middle of your city. With the noise reduction an MX/SX track shouldn't be any louder than a high school football game. Tracks could start popping up almost everywhere.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ace402 said:

I think these will really help the sport. Think of going racing in the middle of your city. With the noise reduction an MX/SX track shouldn't be any louder than a high school football game. Tracks could start popping up almost everywhere.

Absolutely. You will have a lot more opportunities to bring the races into a city without having to worry about noise or pollution. It will also make everything a lot safer. Hiw many guys are injured because they hit a false neutral or miss shifted in front of a big jump. On the ALTA all that is gone. You can fully focus on your riding and line selection. That is one of the biggest benefits of this bike and it gets lost in the whole noise discussion. 

24 minutes ago, skorpan777 said:

I get that Alta is the future , but ONLY positive?  NO NEGATIVE?

At this point not for me at least. I haven’t ridden the bike on a really rutted track yet. I think that’s where you would really feel the missing clutch, when you try to control the power and not run out of a rut.

Obviously it would be nice to get more out of the battery. What’s there is “enough” for now but if it would last 90 minutes on a MX track I think they would have everyone else covered 

On 3/23/2018 at 10:41 AM, dirtjumpordie said:

Before i continue this discussion, I get my least amount of seat time on race days.  

During a season I race every other weekend, at minimum.  Alternating between mx and woods.  At mx races, i race 2 classes.  Total seat time probably 1.5 hours including practice.

At woods races, its 2 hours of non stop racing.

On week days, its 30 miles of interstate to work. Then 35 miles of back roads on the ride home.  And then a few extra minutes doing wheelies and jumping shit in the ditches.  And thats on a slow day.  If its nice out, I put 2 hours on before I even go to work.  And by "nice out" I mean its 30 degrees outside and I rode an hour this morning. On a 33 year old bike. That doesnt even have a battery 👍 

And on weekends that Im not racing is when I get most of my seat time.  I rode 4.5 hours straight last sunday.  I have it on GPS.  I will record my next few rides.  Alta would not make it through even half of what I do.

This. 

The Alta and any other Electric bike will be the bike of track queens for many years. Those few guys who like to be cool and ride new tech but not really good riders will deal with the Alta for some off-road stuff. It's not a practical bike for most off-road guys as much as people want to paint it.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, 2strokenut said:

This. 

The Alta and any other Electric bike will be the bike of track queens for many years. Those few guys who like to be cool and ride new tech but not really good riders will deal with the Alta for some off-road stuff. It's not a practical bike for most off-road guys as much as people want to paint it.

You get more than 3 hours out of the EX model when you are trail riding. It’s not going to last you all day but for a quick ride before or after work it’s plenty. Plus you can ride a lot closer to home with out pissing off the neighbours.

1 minute ago, dansedlak said:

You get more than 3 hours out of the EX model when you are trail riding. It’s not going to last you all day but for a quick ride before or after work it’s plenty. Plus you can ride a lot closer to home with out pissing off the neighbours.

I don't know where you're at but even without noise you're still going to have dust. My wifes work is next to some new home development being built out here and they have a rodeo there every once in a while. These people want to get the rodeo shut down and build a wall. Stop kidding yourself, an electric dirt bike is not a panacea. People will still complain about you riding and riding areas will only get smaller and smaller because all the &%$#@! with electric bikes just ride them everywhere.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 2strokenut said:

I don't know where you're at but even without noise you're still going to have dust. My wifes work is next to some new home development being built out here and they have a rodeo there every once in a while. These people want to get the rodeo shut down and build a wall. Stop kidding yourself, an electric dirt bike is not a panacea. People will still complain about you riding and riding areas will only get smaller and smaller because all the &%$#@! with electric bikes just ride them everywhere.

I’m in California and well aware of the dust issue. Obviously electric bikes are not going to solve that issue but on a trail ride you are not doing laps so you won’t kick up a lot of dust in one spot overband over.

I get what you are saying but I 100% believe that a street legal electric off road bike gives you more opportunities to ride and explore new riding areas with out getting into trouble or at least not right away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dansedlak said:

I’m in California and well aware of the dust issue. Obviously electric bikes are not going to solve that issue but on a trail ride you are not doing laps so you won’t kick up a lot of dust in one spot overband over.

I get what you are saying but I 100% believe that a street legal electric off road bike gives you more opportunities to ride and explore new riding areas with out getting into trouble or at least not right away.

Bruh, this is an even bigger issue. Motorized vs non-motorized. Just go read some ebike vs mtb forums, it's crazy. Electric is not going to do anything but give more ammo to anti access groups. 

• Like 3

All speculation on both sides. Only time will tell for sure. I think it’s generally accepted that tracks and riding areas have been limited and shut down due to noise complaints. So now you eliminate noise from the equation. I’m sure they will figure out something else to be unhappy about, but will it be substantial enough that anyone else would care?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, R and D Marine said:

IMO, electric is superior to internal combustion in every way.  Once the bike has the ability to pull off a 2 hr harscramble on a single charge, this will be on my list. 

This is how dumb you just made yourself look

Dumbass EV.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dirtjumpordie said:

This is how dumb you just made yourself look

Dumbass EV.jpg

Please reply with statements that demonstrate your ignorance and unfamiliarity with scientific methods and knowledge.  Be sure to overlook, ignore and disregard any empirical data or evidence.  Create your own theories based on nothing more than speculation, and declare them as undisputable fact.  Be sure to employ straw-man arguments and use them to steer the conversation into unrelated and off topic directions.  And lastly, please avoid using correct grammar, punctuation and spelling.

On 4/12/2018 at 9:58 AM, R and D Marine said:

IMO, electric is superior to internal combustion in every way.  Once the bike has the ability to pull off a 2 hr harscramble on a single charge, this will be on my list. 

When you say "electric is superior to internal combustion in every way".  Were you referring to power density of the on-board energy supply?  Operational-Availability rate (4Hr recharge time)?  Range?  Vehicle power:weight ratio?  Etc Etc.  I'd love to hear you try to make a business case justifying the purchase of an electric bike instead of a normal bike. 

Also, most of the grid electricity was generated from coal and natural gas engines.  Some of it is nuclear.  And if you ever want to charge your dirtbike off-grid, your electric bike will suddenly become dependent on internal combustion.  So don't stray too far from the grid!  

11 hours ago, R and D Marine said:

Please reply with statements that demonstrate your ignorance and unfamiliarity with scientific methods and knowledge.  Be sure to overlook, ignore and disregard any empirical data or evidence.  Create your own theories based on nothing more than speculation, and declare them as undisputable fact.  Be sure to employ straw-man arguments and use them to steer the conversation into unrelated and off topic directions.  And lastly, please avoid using correct grammar, punctuation and spelling.

I don't think you understand who you're talking to.  I'll let that slide, this time.  Just remember that the internet is a very large place, and there might actually be another engineer/scientist or two on these forums.  Some of them might actually work in the motorcycle industry.  They might even be very well acquainted with electric motorcycles.  Hell, some have worked for large motorcycle manufacturers to develop prototypes of electric bikes that you won't even know about until some later model year launch.  So don't assume that everybody who dislikes electric bikes is scientifically illiterate.  They have their own set of limitations, which makes them work for a narrower set of applications.  There is a very narrow niche for electric dirtbikes.  I acknowledge that this niche exists, but today's electric bikes do not resemble the bikes of the actual future.  

Edited by dirtjumpordie
  • Like 3

I took my MXR out for its maiden voyage yesterday to a practice track and put some time on it. Track had a lot of elevation change, 1.5 miles long I believe. Now I’m no pro, I’d call myself “slightly above average” (and only slightly) as far as ability. I had about 45-50 minutes of ride time and I was down to 25% battery. I’m a lightweight at 160-165 in street clothes, I ran the first 15 minutes in map 1 and then the rest in map 2. I briefly tried 3 and 4 but quickly decided those were completely unnecessary for this track and my ability. Obviously my opinion is going to be biased as an owner, but trust me when I tell you if there was something I didn’t like I’d tell you, and there wasn’t. I know people are probably getting sick of the word “fun” being used but this was the most fun I’ve ever had on a dirt bike. Silky smooth power, nothing to think about when entering a turn but the turn. I had a blast.

This doesn’t need to be a “my bike is better than yours” thing. It’s just another type of bike. Personally I didn’t buy an electric bike to save the planet, I got one because I thought it’s features would suit my riding style/habits well and I’m going to find out the hard way! Day one down!

IMG_5618 (2).JPG

Edited by snydes
  • Like 4