ATF from cylinder head? Pics

Kid ran his 50sx for a couple hours today and I noticed a thin film of red fluid at the back of the cylinder at the head. I can only imagine it’s the atf as my premix is clear. However, I’m confused since I would assume coolant would come out too. The only thing I can think of is maybe some grease was used on the o-rings when the top end was done (previous owner). Is it possible for the atf to get up to the head thru a crank seal and head gasket? Bike runs and idles fine and doesn’t smoke...I’m stumped. IMG_1719.jpgIMG_1719.jpg

Regardless of what colour it is ,nothing should be seeping out the head. What colour is your coolant ? STD ktm is pinkish

Maybe clean it up and run it a little more ,if it's grease it will stop

Blue engine ice is in there now. I thought of it being grease just recently. But I agree, shouldn’t be anything coming out. I also assumed if it was atf it would be dirty or discolored, not look brand new. I have the seals and o-rings but I’d rather not tear it down if I don’t have to. Leak down test maybe?

Could do ,I think it's grease as the outside edge technically isn't sealed

Best to peel off the head - looks like coolant AND maybe RTV sealant from the head gasket.  Replace it.

Check the head bolts torque before doing anything to see if they are right. Maybe they didn’t get torque right. 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 4:31 PM, mog said:

Could do ,I think it's grease as the outside edge technically isn't sealed

This ^......grease was probably used ( like I do) to hold the head O ring in the groove when reassembling the cylinder/head, and the outside edge of the head is not sealed tight so it melts and leaks a bit for a while.

Joe

• Like 2

There is not ATF in the bike. Wipe it off and do a few more laps. I use Redline grease that is the same color. Ride it!

There is not ATF in the bike. Wipe it off and do a few more laps. I use Redline grease that is the same color. Ride it!

There is in the gearbox. I thought it strange it would make its way up and out thru two different seals anyway. It runs too well for that many leaks. Thanks for the responses.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the gentle information, I am humbly corrected. It would indeed be strange without oil passeges into the head. Bless the lubrication Gods of 2 cycle power.

• Like 1