Best helmet money can buy

See a lot of “best cheap helmet” or “best helmet under $250”.. 

i want to know what it the best helmet out there (besides the one that fits the best). 

Seems 6d is the hotness right now but they seem on the heavy side. Been looking at the TLD carbon and Bell FLEX. Opinions? 

Just saw 6D is releasing the ATR-2 this month..looks interesting 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Klim F5 has Koroyd tech which is supposed to be the next big thing in dome protection.

Edited by Muffintop
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

6d has my vote for safest and tld se4 prolly the safest light weight helmet... 

Alpinestars is releasing a new one that looks sick, not sure what it's about yet

image.jpeg

Edited by Creature-Sauce
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Muffintop said:

Klim F5 has Koroyd tech which is supposed to be the next big thing in dome protection.

That F5 carbon looks good on paper. No mention of weight though.. from what I’ve gathered when they are light they will tell you lol. I might call them and see. 

• Like 1

Idk if it’s the best, but I’m loving my Shoei vfx-evo. Definitely fits my head the best. When it comes to high end helmets; finding the the best fit, makes it the best.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LukeYZ426F said:

That F5 carbon looks good on paper. No mention of weight though.. from what I’ve gathered when they are light they will tell you lol. I might call them and see. 

Seems to be the way helmet manufacturers are leaning, it's already caught on big with mountain bike and ski helmets. Doesn't look like it would make the helmet any heavier, also breathes much better than standard EPS. I just wonder about durability, one good crash could wreck the helmet. Maybe they'll make replacement crush inserts.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, FTUO said:

Idk if it’s the best, but I’m loving my Shoei vfx-evo. Definitely fits my head the best. When it comes to high end helmets; finding the the best fit, makes it the best.

I had a Vfx-w and it just seemed so clunky. My local deal should be getting the evo’s Soon, gonna try it on before I pass judgement. 

17 minutes ago, Creature-Sauce said:

6d has my vote for safest and tld se4 prolly the safest light weight helmet... 

Alpinestars is releasing a new one that looks sick, not sure what it's about yet

image.jpeg

Thays a cool looking lid! Hope it’s not one of those magnetic visors, as a woods racer I’m pretty sure it loose that and my transponder quickly. Off to google the specs..

EDIT: specs sound sweet! Won’t be here till late fall though :(

Edited by LukeYZ426F
  • Like 1

The airoh aviator 2.2 has the price tag and the weight but they don’t mention any advance safety features like MIPS or anything.. is there anything special about the helmet besides weight?

Nothing special with the Airoh's, and I wouldn't consider them a top-tier helmet. 

Personally, I think the Moto-9 Flex is the best/safest helmet on the market...rotational energy protection, 3 layer EPS, carbon shell, light-weight (but not so lightweight that you wonder were they skimped on materials/protection), magnetic cheek pads, 'Eject' system compatible, and the name/history to back everything. 

6D would be my second choice.

37 minutes ago, Muffintop said:

I just wonder about durability, one good crash could wreck the helmet

This is the case with any helmet...one and done.

• Like 3

I think the Kali Shiva 2.0 Carbon is one of the best helmets on the market. They incorporate modern technology and thinking in to their Shiva line. Smaller shell for less rotational forces, unique foam liner, their own G force reduction somewhat like MIPS, lightweight, and well ventilated. I have the non-carbon version and really like it.

p5pb14732097.jpg

• Like 4

I got a fly racing and a 6D. Both are awesome.
A few years back I was doing long jumps with a friend for a sponsorship locally. I crashed so hard it bruised 3 bones, knocked me out, and split my Bell helmet like an egg.

Any idea where 6D are manufactured? Or how long they've been in business? Their website didn't have much detail.

What helmet manufacturer has been in business since before a lot of you were born?  They make the best and safest and probably always will.

BTW, the Leatts have some very interesting technology, too.

5 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

What helmet manufacturer has been in business since before a lot of you were born?  They make the best and safest and probably always will.

BTW, the Leatts have some very interesting technology, too.

While it sounds like great logic, I don’t think that’s always the case. 

The leatts didn’t fit me good. 

It seems all all the major brands helmets are heavy. I’m tempted to try some of the higher end lesser known brands but I do enjoy name brands lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LukeYZ426F said:

While it sounds like great logic, I don’t think that’s always the case. 

The leatts didn’t fit me good. 

It seems all all the major brands helmets are heavy. I’m tempted to try some of the higher end lesser known brands but I do enjoy name brands lol

I was talking about BELL.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

I was talking about BELL.

I think bell makes great stuff, they just make great stuff that is heavy. Even their carbon offerings are heavy. 

Still undecided, and Bell is still on the radar even though I don’t want a heavy helmet 

i wonder if any of the super lightweight helmets could be compromised from mild hits in the woods. I seem to hit my head occasionally on low branches (3-4" diameter) while riding enduro style races. not hard enough to knock me off the bikes, just a thump.

edit: i am using a $80 Raider MX helmet. Considering a Bell Moto-9 MIPS for next helmet.

Edited by markmc2
  • Like 1