Sign in to follow this  

Huge problem installing new valves ... help!!!!

I'm COMPLETELY confused! I bought new guides and valves for my 650r. Knocked in the guides and reamed them with Honda's reamer, 07984-ZE20001, as pr shop manual.

What I then find is that the exhaust valves can enter the guide tightly, but the intake cannot. I checked the numbers, and it seems to me that the new valves (14711-MBN-670 and 14721-MBN-670) are larger than they should be, but are not called OS (over-size)

Here are my measurements and the standard measurements from the shop manual
Valves.jpg.b6e35ab4fd77f9e95abee0d1e319125d.jpg

The reamer is 6.6, so my question is: why are the valves larger than the guide ID / reamer???

ANY help on this would be deeply appreciated!

Cheers!

Sounds like a typo or two. 

I'm not sure what the next step in reamer size is but it sounds like you need it.

Checking the aftermarket it looks like all the valves match your dimensions.

8 hours ago, Hollerhead said:

Sounds like a typo or two. 

I'm not sure what the next step in reamer size is but it sounds like you need it.

Checking the aftermarket it looks like all the valves match your dimensions.

Interesting, I never thought of checking the aftermarket stuff ... what do you mean typo? I doubt that Honda put the wrong parts number for the reamer in there, if that's what you mean ...
In the partsdatabase, only this reamer comes up for the XRR if I'm not mistaken.

Mistakes like that exist in about all service manuals in one or more places.  Trust what you measure not what you read.

It's possible they may have made a design change and it never was recorded.   More likely it was a Friday afternoon and the 17 year old new guy had a date to get to and didn't want to ask and had something else laying there to copy.

Some mistakes are more critical than others.  This one is more critical to you because you probably only have one ream.   

A shop doing the same valve job would never know there was an issue because their work is based on physical measurements and not part numbers..

• Like 1