300 shifting problem..help? :)

I gotta 15 te300 but it seems like people respond more in the Ktm threads, and I figure this problem would universal through both platforms.

Today while riding, I got stuck in 4th and couldn’t down shift while riding. I would push down and it wouldn’t move at all. Initially I thought it was jammed or stuck or fully broken. It’s not spinning in the shaft it’s all snug so im checking that off the list. I rode back to staging area in 4th. Now looking closer the shifter moves up and down with no spring tension. When you push it down it doesn’t snap back up into its natural position it stays down..prohibiting you from shifting down again. Now if you kinda rock the bike forward and backward and move the shifter lever up and down with your hand you can shift through all the gears including neutral, but you have to physically push down and then after it engages and shifts you have to physically lift it back up to center in order to let it fully shift then you can down shift or up shift again. But if you don’t lift it back up with your hand it stays in the downward position prohibiting you from downshifting or up shifting again. I bought this bike preowned from 3 brothers racing in Costa Mesa..I only put a couple hours on it before this happened. I’m going to talk to them tomorrow and I’m praying they stand behind the bike...it’s really shitty to spend 6 grand on a used bike that they claimed was in excellent condition and inspected and gone through...and to have something like this happen. I had an 09 300 for years and never had a problem. I upgrade to a newer model and first day on it I get stuffed! Sucks really bad. Also they told me it was an older dudes bike that just casually road desert and was switching back to 4 strokes. Sounded like the perfect seller to me! But there was a motorcycle club sticker on the bike and I looked them up thinking it was some cheesy old guys rule dirt bike crew and turns out one of the top racing clubs in Southern California. So this bike was definitely freakin raced hard and detailed and new plastics installed before the sold it. Also getting some oil blowing from somewhere and covering the right side of the carburetor. I can’t tell where it’s coming from all the engine seals look clean. I’m pretty bummed on this whole situation. I just hope they take care of me otherwise I’ll be raising hell.

If anyone can help I’d really appreciate it, I’m kinda up shit creek without a paddle.

Yea, id just talk to the seller about it. I would recommend being cool about it and approaching it e:without placing or accepting blame. Just ask how you go about getting the problem solved. ive always thought you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. 

i have a newer 300, so as far as the oily carb, check your header silencer joint. That rubber joining coupler doesnt always seal the best. I saw a tip somewhere to put a couple zip ties on either and and cinch em down real good. I did that and have never had an issue there. That joint is right on the right side of the carb (orientated sitting on the bike)

goodluck, id be bummed for sure. easy to get pissed in that situation no doubt, but give em a chance to make good maybe first..

Edited by Freemotion
fixed "with" to "without"

Yea, id just talk to the seller about it. I would recommend being cool about it and approaching it e:without placing or accepting blame. Just ask how you go about getting the problem solved. ive always thought you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. 
i have a newer 300, so as far as the oily carb, check your header silencer joint. That rubber joining coupler doesnt always seal the best. I saw a tip somewhere to put a couple zip ties on either and and cinch em down real good. I did that and have never had an issue there. That joint is right on the right side of the carb (orientated sitting on the bike)
goodluck, id be bummed for sure. easy to get pissed in that situation no doubt, but give em a chance to make good maybe first..

Definitely gonna go in calm cool and collected and vibe it out first before the hell raising begins:)

Often times if you go in too hot they think they have already lost you as a customer so why spend the money on mending the situation if you already hate them haha. So I’m hoping they take care of me cuz they are the only local Ktm husky dealer near me.
  • Like 1

i think the return spring is broken . or the pin is off . drain coolant ,drain oil . remove kickstarter and remove big clutch cover . now you can see the shift meganisme just under the kickstarter shaft . .to take it out you have to remove the compleet clutch . its just 15 min. work to get there

• Like 1

Your shifting fork/claw may need to be sharpened. The stamped part sometimes can become dull over time or stamped  that way. But a false shift could be caused by the claw bypassing the drum because it didn't engage. Same would happened if the spring was broke.

I take a round file the same diameter as the post on the drum. File a nice edge. Replace spring. Should be ready to ride and have a more positive shifting feel.

Pretty easy to access and fix this as it is probably a broken or loose shift pawl spring, or the bolt that holds the spring tension has loosened up or came out.  really no need to drain oil, just lay bike on side, pull clutch basket and look. Had a similar issue with my old 2012.

Joe

Edited by trailmeisterjoe