Jump to content

2015+ WR250F Owners (fuel Injected) - How has yours been?

Recommended Posts

Will crank the idle up a little more, don't have a technical way to check the rpm other then by listening. It is a bit jerky off idle throttle response wise. Could be the lower idle ?

 

Oil change was done at 27km on the odo.

 

Was more worried about those metal bits in it. They are very soft and look almost like a thread ? Not sure - my 13 WR250F had nothing in it during my first few oil changes. So I am a little concerned!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some metal shavings, especially at the first change, are totally normal.  The throttle is definitely more abrupt than a carbureted bike, this is a good and bad thing, many people struggle with it.  You should think about getting the GYTR programmer, it will allow you to check hours and the rpm to set the idle.  You might have to get a different ECU to be able to change the mapping.  Using a softer map down low and getting a g2 throttle definitely made a big difference to the initial response.  A higher idle will help a bit too, and it will help with stalling.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe in Aus the ECUs are already the competition ones, so shouldn't need to change it.

 

Still a little iffy about the smoke out the back though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My bike smokes something like that.  It stops huffing smoke after warm up.  I think some of the smoke is from the unburned fuel from the start up process.

And my bike starts exactly like yours- basically, mine starts like a pile of crap for an EFI engine.

And last- What you are referring to as a "choke" is not a choke or fuel enrichener in the way of carb engines.   Pulling this knob out allows a little more air to bypass the butterfly, allowing the engine to idle higher.  Think of this as opening the throttle just a teeny bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2018 at 4:55 PM, m0tyrider said:

I believe in Aus the ECUs are already the competition ones, so shouldn't need to change it.

 

Still a little iffy about the smoke out the back though.

Yeah ours are already programmable with the ECU tuner, your can ignore anything you read about putting a 'competition ECU' in, that's just for the US WRF. Our's is more similar to the US FX version.

 

Also, I wouldn't stress about the smoke, it's fine. Just ride it mate, interested to hear what you have to say about it versus your carb model WR...?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just me, or are the fuel tanks really hard to get lined up with the front radiator shrouds ? I feel like so much unnecessary force has to be applied to get the bolt holes to line up...

 

Or I could be having a major dud moment but it's had me stumped for most of my afternoon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright - Initial impressions from the small quick rides around the yard I have had on the 15 F.I WR250F.
Here is a quick pro's and con's vs the old bike (2013 Wr250F)

2015 WR250F

Pro's;
Bike Handles better
Bike feels more powerful and responsive - response is very noticeable IMO
Feels lighter
Phenomenal Engine in comparison to older bike
I like the ergo's better
Its newer
Easy access to oil strainer
Easy to change engine oil
Easy access to Air Filter

 

Con's;
Doesn't seem as well designed (plastic shrouds fitment, Fuel Pump hose routing)
Older bike feels "more solid". I think the older bike will be more durable.
Older bike starts easier
According to the internet scales, the old one is actually lighter?
This bike smokes - literally.
Plastics don't really line up once you take them off - Specifically fuel tank/radiator covers. The older design was better.
 

2013 WR250F

Pro's
Reliable
Starts Easy
Doesn't Smoke
Great build quality, everything lines up after 1000km's of bush use

Con's
Feels Dated
Annoying to access oil strainer
Changing oil requires more effort then the new bike
Not as responsive as the new bike
Only 5 speed
Feels sluggish in comparison

 

So far money being no object. I like the new one more, but in terms of keeping it going and not having issues. I am not so sure.
Considering the bike I have is still giving me some smoke on start and was lingering around till it got nice and warm and a few bursts of wide open throttle to clear it out...I am not really convinced. I did put in fresh fuel, changed my engine oil, checked my spark plug and cleaned and reoiled my air filter. So basic mechanical maintenance is done. It should fire right up and should not smoke at all!

 

Edited by m0tyrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/03/2018 at 7:17 PM, m0tyrider said:

Just picked up a very low mileage 2015 WR250F.

 

My current bike is 2013 WR250F and I have to say they are nothing a like. The older model really does feel quite dated.

 

I much prefer the newer one, but before I go list old reliable up for sale - how has the 15+ models been for you guys?

Any common problems to be aware of?

 

At the moment, the only thing I can pick on is it doesn't start very easily when cold - I sit there cracking it for a bit with the choke pulled out or in and opening/closing the throttle (which shouldn't make any difference, its fuel injected!)

 

I also noticed after washing the bike and after getting it started it puffed out a bit of smoke - could have indicated a bit of a rich mixture?

Are these issues worth worrying about?

 

23 hours ago, m0tyrider said:

Is it just me, or are the fuel tanks really hard to get lined up with the front radiator shrouds ? I feel like so much unnecessary force has to be applied to get the bolt holes to line up...

 

Or I could be having a major dud moment but it's had me stumped for most of my afternoon

They do puff a little bit. Touching the throttle as you start it will only make it worse.

My WR is a little cranky when cold too. I dont like this either. It should start first go IMO.

I also have the issue lining everything up when it comes off.

After removing the throttle stop and airbox foam it was a much more responsive bike and sounds great.

I have not ridden mine enough. Its a great bike and I will keep it a long time I think.

The stock note is the best of any 250 fourstroke around I reckon. No need to throw a milo tin exhaust on, its deep and tough sounding unlike the wet farts you get with obnoxious race mufflers on 250f bikes (some stock :censored: ).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BushPig said:

After removing the throttle stop and airbox foam it was a much more responsive bike and sounds great.

Airbox Foam?

 

I don't think mine had any of that. Do you remember what the stock throttle stop screw looked like? I think the dealer who did the pre delivery on the bike already did that.
I have what looks to be a large intake baffle as well as a spare airbox backfire screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, m0tyrider said:

Airbox Foam?

 

I don't think mine had any of that. Do you remember what the stock throttle stop screw looked like? I think the dealer who did the pre delivery on the bike already did that.
I have what looks to be a large intake baffle as well as a spare airbox backfire screen.

Mine was partially de restricted.

I did not have ther airbox bong, but did hav the foam and throtte stop crew still in.

I did not ask for them to be removed, to be fair... but as far as I know most Yammi dealers do it. 

see here re: the screw 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BushPig said:

I did not have ther airbox bong, but did hav the foam and throtte stop crew still in.

 

 

Where was the foam? Should it be obvious if I still have it?

 

Thanks bushpig! How many km's on your bike?

Edited by m0tyrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, m0tyrider said:

 

Where was the foam? Should it be obvious if I still have it?

 

Thanks bushpig! How many km's on your bike?

Hi mate,

The foam was on the bottom side of the airbox lid and "sits" against the filter and partially blocks the air intake "horns".

To see if it's still there, put the filter cover off ans turn it over. It'll be sitting right there if it is. Taking it ou makes the bike noticably louder from the front. But again, its not obnoxious like a Ninja 250 with a fart cannon.

No idea on Ks I'm embarrassed to say. The bike is out on a block, and I havent had much time to ride it since before Xmas. Now the likelyhood is even lower thanks to Cyclone Marcus making a mess of my yard and me spending $$$ on a intercooler for my 4x4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you are overthinking things a bit.  I dunno, for me there is no comparison.  I had an 07 WR, pretty much the same bike as the 13.  There is nothing about the 15 that I don't like better.  It handles better, the motor is better, and the bike is so much easier to work on.  Don't even need to disconnect the fuel tank to check the valves, I think that is part of why the fuel hose routes the way it does.  Oil changes are much easier, that stupid screen in the oil tank on the old bike was really annoying.  Just a better designed bike in every way.  There are 3 of them in my riding group, and we ride supermoto as well as dirt.  One friend has at least 50 hours of supermoto riding on his bike, that is bouncing off the limiter on tarmac, and no issues.  They are durable bikes.  Lots of people going past 100 hours on a piston.  DBT tore theirs down at 100 hours and found a bit of wear on the wrist pin, that's it after lots of hard running:

https://dirtbiketest.com/fresh-dirt/yamaha-yz250fx-wr250f-long-term-wrap-up/#2rPu107W0jS5vxO4.97

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drewnabobber said:

I think you are overthinking things a bit.  I dunno, for me there is no comparison.  I had an 07 WR, pretty much the same bike as the 13.  There is nothing about the 15 that I don't like better.  It handles better, the motor is better, and the bike is so much easier to work on.  Don't even need to disconnect the fuel tank to check the valves, I think that is part of why the fuel hose routes the way it does.  Oil changes are much easier, that stupid screen in the oil tank on the old bike was really annoying.  Just a better designed bike in every way.  There are 3 of them in my riding group, and we ride supermoto as well as dirt.  One friend has at least 50 hours of supermoto riding on his bike, that is bouncing off the limiter on tarmac, and no issues.  They are durable bikes.  Lots of people going past 100 hours on a piston.  DBT tore theirs down at 100 hours and found a bit of wear on the wrist pin, that's it after lots of hard running:

https://dirtbiketest.com/fresh-dirt/yamaha-yz250fx-wr250f-long-term-wrap-up/#2rPu107W0jS5vxO4.97

I probably am over thinking it. But when these bikes cost as much as they do...I am a little disappointed in the nit picking things.

 

The smokey startup and hard starting is more of a annoyance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just went to start it up - it smoked no where near as much as before. Started a little easier and rode nicely.

 

One thing now I have noticed, is there is no coolant overflow - I am getting some coolant run off from the overflow tube - is this normal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×