Spark plug access

I have a 2018 beta 300RR with the stock gas tank. I wanted to take a look at the spark plug after the first ride to see what it looked like.I ended up taking the gas tank off to get acces to it. Are 2017 and older 300's this hard to get to the spark plug or is it a 2018 new frame design?

My 15 is the same.  I can get the plug out no problem, but it's super difficult to get the plug wire back on with the tank on.  I found it to be much quicker to remove the 4 (I think 4 - two hold the tank and two hold the rad shrouds) bolts that hold the tank on and lift it up just a bit.

Edited by cachunko

Hardest part about it is getting the plug boot seated back on the plug. One trick I found that made it way easier is wearing mx gloves with the little rubber tips on them. Allows me to grip the boot a lot easier without my fingers sliding down it.

It got harder in '16 with the new head mount. 

If things where like they where in the early 80's and bikes normally fouled plugs I would be annoyed, but I can't remember the last time we fouled a plug. Now plugs only get changed in usual maintenance which the tank comes off for anyways. 

• Like 6

Working out jetting I pulled it more often to check but thats done and its rare I do it now.  The grease really helps the boot slide over the plug while at an angle, plus its a good idea to aid waterproofing anyway.