Xr650l Heavy Rider Suspension/Performance Mods Setup

WD40's OK.    You probably need to adjust the cable so the ''choke'' is open when the little clicker catches on the handlebar lever.  If you remember , there are 2 open positions to the lever.

It seems to work on both positions when I rev the throttle hard it physically moves the choke lever back to no choke

I did not realize you retained the stock choke. Don’t know why I didn’t realize it... anyways, is the bolt that holds the lever perhaps a little loose?

It could be. I put it hand tight then I couldn’t really get a wrench to fit I put it on after the carb was in. I tightened it a little more with pliers and taping the nut over with a screwdriver. I was afraid to tighten down too much because it’s plastic I didn’t know how tight to go. It did it the first time I put it on and I used a wrench and put it on before I installed the carb as well. I didn’t tighten real hard because the threads

didn’t look the best and there plastic.

That should hold it in position.

Ill try it again soon but it seems turn back off if the bike revs up and shakes. It’s not a real big problem anyway because it only needs the choke to warm up a bit.

I noticed it when I was testing the bike at different throttle positions like you said to to get a better idea on the jetting. I would be riding almost full throttle with the choke on and it would push it self back off.

I started my bike today and gave it i good high rev with the choke on and it turned the choke off again

I got a Ricochet skid plate for a 650R, yes an R, and got the mounts made for the L. The R skid plate is bigger on the sides/wings and rear. The L brackets are round for the round frame whereas the R has a square tubing frame at the engine cradle. The skid plate took just a hair modification to make fit, and protects the oil cooler pretty well.

IMG_0280.thumb.JPG.de5b9fca93b96b3ce4484a23cbb80961.JPG

Zoom in and you can see what I’m taking about. Also, I drilled a hole with a 1” hole saw in the front of the skid plate for more air flow to the lower part of the oil cooler.

• Like 1

-

I got a Ricochet skid plate for a 650R, yes an R, and got the mounts made for the L. The R skid plate is bigger on the sides/wings and rear. The L brackets are round for the round frame whereas the R has a square tubing frame at the engine cradle. The skid plate took just a hair modification to make fit, and protects the oil cooler pretty well.

IMG_0280.thumb.JPG.de5b9fca93b96b3ce4484a23cbb80961.JPG

Zoom in and you can see what I’m taking about. Also, I drilled a hole with a 1” hole saw in the front of the skid plate for more air flow to the lower part of the oil cooler.

Did you have to remove the header to install the oil cooler I haven’t even unpacked it and had a look at the instructions?

Well , you had me wondering , they still show it in the 2019 lineup.   

Yeah I thought it said that too. I’m guessing they aren’t going to make it too much longer since it’s been around since what 1993? And with the release of the crf450l. I hope they do though so parts are available way in the future

• martinfan30 changed the title to Xr650l Heavy Rider Suspension/Performance Mods Setup