bakeyz426f

Xr650l Heavy Rider Suspension/Performance Mods Setup

Posted (edited)

Try it cold WITHOUT the throttle twist. You could undo the bottom latch on the sidecover  and pull it open at full throttle , if it runs better , you're rich.

Edited by JoeRC51
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, bakeyz426f said:

Is there any way to test to see if I’m rich on the main jet?

According to Kevin Cameron on page 55 of Sportbike Performance Handbook (which is about general motorcycle tuning, not just racing bikes):

Main-jet tuning methodology depends upon having someplace to run at full throttle, in top gear, long enough to perform a simple engine diagnostic [...]  The diagnostic is to slightly close the throttle, and note whether there is a slight gain in maximum revs.  If there is, the engine is rich and should be jetted down.

Alternatively while you're in top gear at full throttle, shut off the fuel.  If it speeds up right before the engine dies you'll know that as it got leaner as the fuel level in the float bowl dropped it improved - then it will run out and die, so turn the fuel back on right away.

Now that I'm thinking of this, I need to do it with my bike before I try switching from a 158 to a 155 main jet.  I need to verify that I'm actually running rich before doing that - duh.

• Like 1

I added about 10 ounces of oil to top off my bike. It a little over filled now but would it have hurt anything riding 7-10 ounces low on oil?

I wouldn't push your luck and run it low regularly , but you didn't hurt it.

• Like 1

I tried starting the bike without choke cold. It wouldn’t start. I pulled the choke all the way and it started in a couple seconds. I didn’t twist the throttle. It needs the choke for a minute to warm up a bit

Here’s a picture of my muffler I wiped the bottom left side with a paper towel is not real dirty. I wouldn’t call it sooty like burning coal.
IMG_4596.JPG

I didn’t get a chance to try riding with the bottom latch undone on the side panel yet. It runs well once it’s warmed up idles, throttle responds good everywhere, pulls hard and doesn’t hesitate accelerating through the gears, and doesn’t really pop much at all

Should I be checking what my spark plug looks like?

I wouldn't push your luck and run it low regularly , but you didn't hurt it.

I won’t I ran my xr100 out of oil as a kid and was heartbroken lol it seemed like it slow down on oil consumption a bit so I stopped a didn’t check it for a few rides plus a little testing with the carb around the neighborhood and it snuck up on me and got low

Pipe looks good. The plug will tell you really rich , but not necessarily lean without a trained eye , with plug in hand.  Check out ''Braigasen.com/how to read''. 

• Like 1

Also you said before that your battery is going bad if the brake light causes the headlight to dim. I tested that today with the bike running and the headlight dims just a bit when I hit the brakes.
Does that mean I should replace my battery now?

Unless you do a plug chop with a new plug , what you're seeing is a blend of ALL of the throttle ranges together. Also if you're stuck with ethanol fuel in your area , plug reading kind of goes out the window. I wouldn't worry about the battery until she starts turning over slower when you start it , get a new one to have on hand and leave it dry until you're going to put it in.  I wouldn't buy a brand other than Yuasa.

• Like 1

Unless you do a plug chop with a new plug , what you're seeing is a blend of ALL of the throttle ranges together. Also if you're stuck with ethanol fuel in your area , plug reading kind of goes out the window. I wouldn't worry about the battery until she starts turning over slower when you start it , get a new one to have on hand and leave it dry until you're going to put it in.  I wouldn't buy a brand other than Yuasa.

So if I unlatch the side plastic or remove it and it runs better I’m rich? And if it runs worse I’m about right or a bit lean even?

Is it possible I wouldn’t notice much difference by taking the left side completely off?

I think there is a percentage of ethanol in the gas here

I test rode my bike to day. Rode around town for 15-20 minutes and filled up my tank.

Then I did some third gear pulls it ran well.
Next I removed the airbox pannel and did so more third gear pulls. It didnt really run better I thought for a second it pulled a bit harder than with the panel on at higher rpm but it was real hard to say. It almost seemed like it wanted to stall but never did. Didn’t make any noticeable popping without the panel or with it.

I tried just undoing the bottom latch on the side cover too and testing and noticed little to no difference.

I think I prefer how it ran with the cover on the airbox.

Anybody have any thoughts does it seem like my jetting set up is pretty on point?

Thanks

It was about 40 degrees today when I tested riding the bike but it was fully warmed up. If that makes any difference.

Cold air temps like that , the air is more dense so it would run leaner , if it's getting up to temp. If the motor doesn't get up to temp , it'll want even   more fuel , similar to wanting choke on cold starting to add fuel until it heats up.

• Like 1

Try it cold WITHOUT the throttle twist. You could undo the bottom latch on the sidecover  and pull it open at full throttle , if it runs better , you're rich.

I test rode my bike to day. Rode around town for 15-20 minutes and filled up my tank.

Then I did some third gear pulls it ran well.

Next I removed the airbox pannel and did so more third gear pulls. It didnt really run better I thought for a second it pulled a bit harder than with the panel on at higher rpm but it was real hard to say. It almost seemed like it wanted to stall but never did. Didn’t make any noticeable popping without the panel or with it.

I tried just undoing the bottom latch on the side cover too and testing and noticed little to no difference.

With no side panel on the throttle might have been more choppy if that makes sense?

Do you think my jetting is close enough based off that test and the pipe not looking real sooty?

Edit: didn’t see you earlier post.

Cold air temps like that , the air is more dense so it would run leaner , if it's getting up to temp. If the motor doesn't get up to temp , it'll want even   more fuel , similar to wanting choke on cold starting to add fuel until it heats up.

The motor was hot enough I couldn’t hold my hand on the side cover more than a second or two. So it may run fine now but be rich in warm weather?

2 minutes ago, bakeyz426f said:

The motor was hot enough I couldn’t hold my hand on the side cover more than a second or two. So it may run fine now but be rich in warm weather?

Possibly , you may not even notice.

• Like 1

Possibly , you may not even notice.

Do you have holes drilled in your side cover for more airflow? Would that not be smart go off road riding?