bakeyz426f

Xr650l Heavy Rider Suspension/Performance Mods Setup

You could a couple of degrees more everywhere , IF you're using super unleaded. 

I use 93 octane gas every time I fill up. I bough the cable to hook the Ignitech box to my computer. Is there some kind of software I need to download from Ignitech’s web site I don’t believe mine came with a disk or any instructions.

This is a remarkable thread. I cannot recall ever seeing this amount of prolonged hand-holding (63 pages) on any topic in any forum. And not a single RTFM -- even when the question is clearly answerable with only a little research. You XR650L guys have the patience of Job! 

The thread should be renamed "Case study for improving the XR650L." It went well beyond "300 lb-er suspension."

• Haha 1

I appreciate the fact that he didn't start 63 different threads.     :smirk:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JoeRC51 said:

I appreciate the fact that he didn't start 63 different threads.     :smirk:

Or a subforum...  😉

I ignored it for a while until I figured out that it was still going.  I don't generally like really long threads, like most of the stuff on AdvRider, but this one has been good and there have been a lot of good questions.  Okay, some should have been obvious, but overall it's been worth participating in.

But now we need Bakey to just go out and ride the thing. ;)

• Like 1

I ignored it for a while until I figured out that it was still going.  I don't generally like really long threads, like most of the stuff on AdvRider, but this one has been good and there have been a lot of good questions.  Okay, some should have been obvious, but overall it's been worth participating in.
But now we need Bakey to just go out and ride the thing.

Been riding the last few days it’s been surprisingly warm In Ohio. Temps just dropped in the 20’s today though. It’s a huge improvement with everything I’ve done to it over stock. Planning to take it to some good trails and tracks in the spring and summer.

This is a remarkable thread. I cannot recall ever seeing this amount of prolonged hand-holding (63 pages) on any topic in any forum. And not a single RTFM -- even when the question is clearly answerable with only a little research. You XR650L guys have the patience of Job! 
The thread should be renamed "Case study for improving the XR650L." It went well beyond "300 lb-er suspension."

I may have had a little “hand holding” to things I probably could have figured out with trial and error but at least I did complete setting up my suspension and everything else besides talking about motor mods( still saving for). I do research things that I ask about but many times can’t find an exact answer. And since I keep finding help on this thread I keep it going instead of making a new thread for all of my different type of questions.

I agree it could probably be renamed and I probably had too many questions.

I’m thankful for all the help I’ve had on here it helped me big time setting up things.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, bakeyz426f said:

I may have had a little “hand holding” to things I probably could have figured out with trial and error but at least I did complete setting up my suspension and everything else besides talking about motor mods( still saving for). I do research things that I ask about but many times can’t find an exact answer. And since I keep finding help on this thread I keep it going instead of making a new thread for all of my different type of questions.

I agree it could probably be renamed and I probably had too many questions.

I’m thankful for all the help I’ve had on here it helped me big time setting up things.

Please know that I wasn't trying to criticize you (or anyone else). I was just pointing out that the thread was/is quite unusual given its length and the many and varied questions asked and freely answered. I participate in a lot forums and I can't recall anything quite like it.  😐

• Like 2

When I first tested my bike with the tm40 carb I was able to do power wheelies with a bit of positioning and a tug on the bars in second gear.(14/45 gearing)

I got a flat out riding and switched my bridge stone trailwing out with a Dunlop d606 rear. I still have the Bridgestone trailwing on the front with 3/4 life left.

I guess the d606 is taller and change the stance of my bike a bit and made the gearing taller.

It’s much harder to pull the front end up now in second gear.

If I got the matching d606 front tire would it help the bike sit more level to fix that? Or is the change I’m feeling most likely just with the tire height changing the gearing ( I can go about 5mph faster in every gear since the tire swap) other wise I’m thinking about trying a 48 rear sprocket(14/48)

It’s the tire size and possibly extra weight. On a bike with this little power (relatively speaking) a few pound of tire and a bigger diameter makes a noticeable difference. I run the same gearing on both my dirt and street wheels. The street wheel (bigger tire, heavier tire, heavier wheel assembly) has to work noticeably harder to power wheelie in 2nd compared to the lighter and slightly smaller dirt wheel set up. What rear sprocket are you at now? 14/48 is a good set up and will do you well as long as you’re not trying to cruise the highway. I run 14/45, but I do a lot of road riding to get to the fire roads (usually around 70mph) and I’m a little lighter than you.

I doubt the front tire change will make much of a difference.

• Like 1

It’s the tire size and possibly extra weight. On a bike with this little power (relatively speaking) a few pound of tire and a bigger diameter makes a noticeable difference. I run the same gearing on both my dirt and street wheels. The street wheel (bigger tire, heavier tire, heavier wheel assembly) has to work noticeably harder to power wheelie in 2nd compared to the lighter and slightly smaller dirt wheel set up. What rear sprocket are you at now? 14/48 is a good set up and will do you well as long as you’re not trying to cruise the highway. I run 14/45, but I do a lot of road riding to get to the fire roads (usually around 70mph) and I’m a little lighter than you.

I doubt the front tire change will make much of a difference.

I been running 14/45 gearing. It will cruise with me at 70mph without too high off rpm.
I avoid highways. The fastest I’ll need to go on the street really is only 60mph. I ride around town to commute and run errands usually speed limits no faster than 50mph.
I have about 2500 miles on this set of chain and sprockets.
How fast is second gear for you with 14/48?
And how fast is the fastest cruising pace in 5th with 14/48?

46 minutes ago, bakeyz426f said:

How fast is second gear for you with 14/48?
And how fast is the fastest cruising pace in 5th with 14/48?

I don't pay attention to the speedometer in anything but 5th gear.  I can hit 70 mph with 14/48, but I don't want to stay there.  No problem maintaining 60.  I have no issue cruising at 70 with 15/48 or 14/45 gearing.  No issue cruising at 80 with the stock 15/45.

I don't pay attention to the speedometer in anything but 5th gear.  I can hit 70 mph with 14/48, but I don't want to stay there.  No problem maintaining 60.  I have no issue cruising at 70 with 15/48 or 14/45 gearing.  No issue cruising at 80 with the stock 15/45.

With 14/48 gearing is first gear basically a crawl or is it usable still for trail riding? I find myself taking off from second gear with 14/45 gearing a lot on the street.

I think I could live with a top cruising speed of 60mph.

What brand rear sprocket do you use I saw a 48t pro taper one but it was around $60?

4 minutes ago, bakeyz426f said:

With 14/48 gearing is first gear basically a crawl or is it usable still for trail riding? I find myself taking off from second gear with 14/45 gearing a lot on the street.

I think I could live with a top cruising speed of 60mph.

What brand rear sprocket do you use I saw a 48t pro taper one but it was around $60?

I can start out in second gear easily with any gearing including stock.  I still usually start in first gear though, even with the lowest gearing.  Start in 3rd if you want, the XR can handle that too.

I've pretty much always purchased JT sprockets front and rear.  The prices are generally lower and they're "good enough".  In other words, they last as well as any others, so why pay more?

• Like 1

Scott basically covered anything I had to say in regards to your questions now go ride damnit!

• Like 1

I’ve noticed the last few times I rode my bike I’ll start it with choke on and let it idle a minute. After if I twist the throttle while the choke on it bogs and hesitates. But if I turn off the choke before it warms up more it will die.
So I leave the choke on and pull out my driveway and after I’m going I’ll turn the choke off and it runs fine but if I leave the choke on and try to ride while it warms up a bit it bogs.

Would turning the fuel screw in on the carb maybe help that I’m 3 turns out on my tm40?

26 minutes ago, bakeyz426f said:

I’ve noticed the last few times I rode my bike I’ll start it with choke on and let it idle a minute. After if I twist the throttle while the choke on it bogs and hesitates. But if I turn off the choke before it warms up more it will die.
So I leave the choke on and pull out my driveway and after I’m going I’ll turn the choke off and it runs fine but if I leave the choke on and try to ride while it warms up a bit it bogs.

Would turning the fuel screw in on the carb maybe help that I’m 3 turns out on my tm40?

Has it been colder where you live? Sounds normal to me.

• Like 2