What is a MUST HAVE for every new dirt bike/bike when considering racing?

Simple question. If you have a bike or just bought a brand new one and plan to race it. What is a must have for the bike before it reaches the starting gate/line

and i'm including all types of racing not just moto. 

for me, it would be a good set of grips and seat cover. My stock seat cover on my KTM blows and the gripper seat i replaced it with rocks out. I could list a bunch of others but for the sake of the question i'm saying 2 to keep it simple ?

2018-TransWorld-Motocross-250-MX-Shootout_002.jpg

Edited by TomTopDog12
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Suspension set up for my weight and riding conditions.

I would also say this is one of the most important, depending on the bike tho, i'd say for a KTM with the air forks you could wait a while to get them done as they do pretty good in stock form, also KYB is also a shooting star. But nothing beats properly valved suspension

2 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

The right tires.

What do you use? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TomTopDog12 said:

I would also say this is one of the most important, depending on the bike tho, i'd say for a KTM with the air forks you could wait a while to get them done as they do pretty good in stock form, also KYB is also a shooting star. But nothing beats properly valved suspension

What do you use? 

LOL, I don't race so don't ask me what I use for racing, but if I did for off road in our area (high desert) the Kenda Washougal 2 works very well.  A couple of fast guys I know that do race use them.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

LOL, I don't race so don't ask me what I use for racing, but if I did for off road in our area (high desert) the Kenda Washougal 2 works very well.  A couple of fast guys I know that do race use them.

I heard those were good tires. Hows the life on them? Where i ride it's just small rocks and sand. Maybe a little bit of dirt here and there but mostly sand. I only ride on dunlops and have found that the mx52 was pretty good but was to stiff. This will be my first time trying an mx11 sand/mud tire so i'm pumped to try it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TomTopDog12 said:

I heard those were good tires. Hows the life on them? Where i ride it's just small rocks and sand. Maybe a little bit of dirt here and there but mostly sand. I only ride on dunlops and have found that the mx52 was pretty good but was to stiff. This will be my first time trying an mx11 sand/mud tire so i'm pumped to try it. 

Do very well in sand, we have a lot of that here.  Also good on rock and hardpack.  Seem to wear very well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Suspension set up for my weight and riding conditions.

Hands down the best investment is suspension, next to rider protection.

Which makes me wonder why we see so many products directed/advertised at engine performance and comparably less for suspension. 

You can't do anything with more power except hurt yourself if you don't have proper suspension.  

6 minutes ago, TomTopDog12 said:

Can't buy a good rider that's for sure! 

Sure you can.....there are a lot of good riders that would love to get paid to ride.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, crypto666 said:

Hands down the best investment is suspension, next to rider protection.

Which makes me wonder why we see so many products directed/advertised at engine performance and comparably less for suspension. 

You can't do anything with more power except hurt yourself if you don't have proper suspension.  

Sure you can.....there are a lot of good riders that would love to get paid to ride.  

That's what i said to myself when i bought the 450, it's already got more power then i need, i just want it to ride well. Rode a few new 250fs and honestly one of them may be in my hit list in the next few years.

• Like 1

- The right tires for the conditions.

- Suspension adjusted for the rider and conditions.  Also, suspension customized as budget allows.  

If it's a woods race, hand guards and water pack.

Proper rider protection, but I'll leave it at that since the ask was about the bike.

Edited by tripled
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, tripled said:

- The right tires for the conditions.

- Suspension adjusted for the rider and conditions.  Also, suspension customized as budget allows.  

If it's a woods race, hand guards and water pack.

Proper rider protection, but I'll leave it at that since the ask was about the bike.

I need to get another water pack, i used one for a bit but stopped. I think we can all agree suspension tailored to our weight is the biggest thing needed. Though you'd be surprised on how some guys can ride the stock crap 

• Like 1