What Jets do I order?

I found a buddy that’s going to help me with the “Dave’s Carb Mod” after that what size jets should I order before we begin? I’m in Cols Ohio and 1140 above sea level. Should I just order the Dyno kit or FMF kit or should I just go to jets r us and order 2-3 from there? Thanks all so much help. Love it. Stay safe out there. 

Xr650l? if so bite the bullet get a mikuni tm40 u will not regret it! U can only go so far with stock carb.

Xr650l? if so bite the bullet get a mikuni tm40 u will not regret it! U can only go so far with stock carb.

How much do one of those bad chickens cost? I’m finding 42mm and 40s are in other countries.

I paid 399$ from procycle.us . got in on a group buy. They are 40mm they come ready to install.

I paid 399$ from procycle.us . got in on a group buy. They are 40mm they come ready to install.

I’ll definitely be looking into this in the near future. Thanks
14 hours ago, Richard Stevens said:

Should I just order the Dyno kit or FMF kit or should I just go to jets r us and order 2-3 from there?

14 hours ago, nornevrder said:

In the original instructions, it says:

• Jetting Suggestions
  • With the stock exhaust at sea level and no gasohol, the jetting should be around 55/158. Jet leaner for higher altitude, richer for gasohol, or richer for aftermarket exhaust.

Those are the jet sizes that work well in my bike at least from sea level to 5000 feet.  You can get a 155 main if you want to try slightly leaner.

Although a few people around here love the DynoJet kit, they use different numbers on their jets and some people find it hard to get the carburetor tuning right.  Stick with Keihin jets.  If you want a jet kit, I suggest Factory Pro, because they use the correct jets and include a needle with multiple clip positions, so that you don't have to mess with shimming the needle.  You'll get four main jets with that kit that covers the full range you could need.

16 hours ago, nornevrder said:

I’ll definitely be looking into this in the near future. Thanks

About $360 if you buy the carb , adapters and cables separately.  

Some of these piggies like it a little leaner, some a little richer.

The more ethanol in the gas where you are, the richer you'll have to be.

I recc filing the tab off the bowl, not the screw, leave the tab on the screw as a pointer and handy handle. I can adjust mine sitting on the bike, gloves on.

(assuming you don't have one with the plugged screw that requires drilling)

The carb mod is a big improvement, as stated not as much throttle response as with a manual-slide carb.

Yea I ordered jet kit from Factory Pro and gonna do the Dave’s carb mod next week. Now I have to decide what bars and bark busters I wanna get. It’s always something. Lol. 

So I picked up a FMF power up kit for $20. I got a powercore slip on and will remove the snorkel. Are these kits worth a damn? Or should I go with the Keihin jets? I have read the the new spring in the kit will eliminate the need for drilling the slide and I like the adjustable needle. I wish factory pro just sold the needle separately. I’m in Reno so elevation is 4500’ until the snow melts and I can get up in the Sierras. the temps will range from 35-60 degrees until the summer.

Use their spring AND drill the slide. The jet kit will be fine.

For some users the jet kit works fine, for some it does not.

On my bike, for me, it did not. Power came on slow, and it would spit and pop and die at the most inopportune moments, like just after blipping to get up over a log.