Hello everyone,

I  know that there are several other posts asking if certain bikes are not right for people but i couldn't find one for this. If there is one, a link would be appreciated.

I have a 2014 yz125 that i race woods with, I've been racing the past several years on it but I believe its time for an upgrade. This year I'm moving up to B class so I was looking at a 250, sepcifically a yz250x. The only thing is that I weigh 155lbs w/o gear so i was wondering if anyone has any input on a similar bike, if it was too much power, too heavy for woods, etc. 

Thanks!

Edited by Red Lightning
This is my first post and i accidentally posted it after typing the first two words lol

My son is 16 and weighs about 135lbs without gear. He rides a 2010 YZ250 without issue.

The 250 won't feel as light as the 125 but it is nothing that hampers the ride. As far as power, after a few rides you would get used to it.

In a way, the 250 is easier to ride a slow speeds due to the amount of torque.

Edited by allrightythen
Edit to clarify
  • Like 3

For an experienced rider I think a 250 is easier to ride well than a 125.  125's are scalpels but they make you pay dearly for every little mistake.

That's why they call the Euro 300s the lazy man's bike.  On the pipe, off the pipe, a gear too high, a gear too low..... No problem.

If I was buying a brand new bike, I'd look at every bike in the segment... Yamaha, KTM, Husky and Beta.  That also includes see which dealers are willing to deal.  We live in a great time with a lot of phenomenal 2-stroke woods bikes. 

Doc

• Like 2

With out a doubt go for it. In my Mx days I went from a 125 to a 450 it took me a couple days to adjust. I was also around 155. I'm now a woods rider on a 300 2t. I'm teaching my buddy to ride I got him a 125. I figured if he can learn to handle a 125 he can ride anything. A 125 forces clutch control and technique. It gets easier from there.

I don't know how to post crap lol but today's lesson was rear brake control/coverage very important. I'm probably to hard on him. His second ride but he's coming back tomarrow for more. Good stuff. He is dedicated he will be a good rider.

Another thing to consider if you really like the small bore bikes are the KTM 150 XC-W and Husky TE 150.  You'd keep that super light feel and power that rewards aggressive riding while picking up some useable tractable bottom end, 18 inch rear wheel, electric starter, bigger fuel tank, more flyweel weight, hydraulic clutch, lower first gear for the gnarly stuff, etc. If you decide to consider those options, the biggest difference between the two bikes is the Husky has a linkage rear suspension and the KTM has PDS. I'm guessing coming off a YZ and racing hare scrambles you'd probably be happier with the Husky's linkage rear suspension.

2000000017.jpg

2017-KTM-150-XC-W1.jpg

11 hours ago, Adam ES said:

With out a doubt go for it. In my Mx days I went from a 125 to a 450 it took me a couple days to adjust. I was also around 155. I'm now a woods rider on a 300 2t. I'm teaching my buddy to ride I got him a 125. I figured if he can learn to handle a 125 he can ride anything. A 125 forces clutch control and technique. It gets easier from there.

Man you skipped a 250 twostroke that's a shame lol jk,  nothing better than racing one flat out against 450's you have to be on the gas and precise,  I raced 450 (was a feuly Yz) alittle bit last couple  years ,yes they are strait line fast ?. But I just can't carve a corner on them?, like a 250 smoker. So back to building a badass 250 ☺ I started in the 90's raced 500,125's,250's , I will say a 250f is impressive 

• Like 1

Man you skipped a 250 twostroke that's a shame lol jk,  nothing better than racing one flat out against 450's you have to be on the gas and precise,  I raced 450 (was a feuly Yz) alittle bit last couple  years ,yes they are strait line fast [emoji469]. But I just can't carve a corner on them[emoji107], like a 250 smoker. So back to building a badass 250 [emoji5] I started in the 90's raced 500,125's,250's , I will say a 250f is impressive 

I was one of the last 125s racing with 250fs at least it seemed like it. I wanted to race the bigger bikes so I kind of bandwagoned with the 4 strokes and got a 450 instead of a 250 2t. That was in my early 20's. Now I'm back on 2 strokes probably for life, love 2 strokes. I just mainly do trail ride now. I find I enjoy technical riding the most.
  • Like 1

If anything, your weight's an advantage on a bigger bike. Dungey and Stewart weighed about 150# in their prime and threw around factory 450's. Your questions to yourself should not be about weight, but what you feel your riding abilities are, and what kind of physical shape you are in. The fact that you're moving up to B class easily answers those questions.

• Like 2

On 3/10/2018 at 4:23 AM, Drewbacka said:

Going from a 125 to a 250 isn't as drastic as going from a 125 to a 450. Just more torque and imo easier to be lazy on. You could always go the 250f route also. 

ewww four strokes... hahaha just playin. Thats a good point tho