Drz fork upgrade

Currently have a 2000 drz400s work stock suspension. From my understanding this is the worst suspension the drz ever came with without even rebound damping adjustment. Therefore I'm looking for a upgrade. I'm seeing three approaches to take. First being a newer year s model suspension with dampening adjustment. A SM model USD forks and triple tree or some USD forks and triple tree from a rmz. So if you were going to upgrade what direction would you go. I currently ride off-road mostly but I do have some 17s for on road with as well so have to keep that in mind. Thanks

I believe many riders will notice no significant difference between the laster year S suspension properly set up and the USD forks from say an RM250 properly set up.

Those pushing the bike hard AND have the experience and knowledge to understand what the suspension is doing when on each hit, each type of surface and for a given body position may decide the USD forks provide something not available to them in standard fork.
So that said, you have to make an honest personal decision if you and how you ride will benefit from the USD front end.

Stolen from the founder of Race Tech..

The best you've ridden is the best you know!" - Paul Thede.

Just now, Erik Marquez said:

I believe many riders will notice no significant difference between the laster year S suspension properly set up and the USD forks from say an RM250 properly set up.

Those pushing the bike hard AND have the experience and knowledge to understand what the suspension is doing when on each hit, each type of surface and for a given body position may decide the USD forks provide something not available to them in standard fork.
So that said, you have to make an honest personal decision if you and how you ride will benefit from the USD front end.

Stolen from the founder of Race Tech..

If that's the case do you think it's worth upgrading to some newer forks at all or just respring and revalve the older style forks I have. I don't do any racing so I can really say my level of riding skill but I think I do alright been riding dirt bikes since I was a kid and I defently hit the trails at a faster pace then most. 

Just now, tplayer100 said:

If that's the case do you think it's worth upgrading to some newer forks at all or just respring and revalve the older style forks I have. I don't do any racing so I can really say my level of riding skill but I think I do alright been riding dirt bikes since I was a kid and I defently hit the trails at a faster pace then most. 

Its a choice only you can make.
I think the better updated design of the later year Showas with its rebound adjustment provide the ability to tailor the forks better no matter how you ride... Plodding along the fire trail and want plushness that does not bottom out often, or plushness on the square edge hit and bottom resistance upon landing that high speed drop after a no down ramp jump

4 minutes ago, Erik Marquez said:

Its a choice only you can make.
I think the better updated design of the later year Showas with its rebound adjustment provide the ability to tailor the forks better no matter how you ride... Plodding along the fire trail and want plushness that does not bottom out often, or plushness on the square edge hit and bottom resistance upon landing that high speed drop after a no down ramp jump

Appreciate it. Probably going to go with some rmz forks then. A little more involved but I like a challenge and if I'm going to upgrade might as well go all out. Both Forks seemed to be similarly priced to. 

Have you looked at Race Tech Cartridge Emulators? It will greatly improved bottoming resistance without making the forks less compliant.

12 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Have you looked at Race Tech Cartridge Emulators? It will greatly improved bottoming resistance without making the forks less compliant.

I have not. Think it be a better option then some used forks? Do they add rebound adjustment with just a drop in?

I'm a big fan of RaceTech Gold Valve Emulators. Of the four bikes in my garage right now, three came with damping rod forks and have been upgraded with GVE. I've used GVE's about a dozen times in the past and I have never been disappointed with the result. While you do get the adjustability with GVE (the GVE for compression damping, oil weight for rebound damping), you do not get EXTERNAL adjustment. If you desire external adjustment, 2002 and on DRZ forks, reworked for your weight and riding style would be a next-step upgrade. The good news is that these forks are plentiful and inexpensive. The USD forks used on the SM look great and give the impression of a more modern design, but the truth is they are technically the same. The only advantage I can see is a lower unsprung weight of the SM USD forks.

Edited by Gary in NJ

Emulators

If it were my bike I'd get the later DRZ forks and stick with my stock triples.

9 minutes ago, Bermudacat said:

Yup :thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, Bermudacat said:

Think new triple trees are more work then their worth?

I'd buy a set of used 2002+ DRZ forks and revalve to taste, fresh oil, all new seals and bushings.  In and out in 1 day for under $300.  I used to buy the "USD forks are way better" until I learned to revalve my own.  I will say this - if you're MXing then USDs are your best bet.  If you're trailriding/dualsporting - nonsense.    Those 49mm legs are damn good, just need the proper touch.  And, of course nothing will work with the wrong springs - that's move 1.  If you're looking for cool factor - sure, the cool kids have USDs.  You have a DRZ .... prolly not worried about being a cool kid.

32 minutes ago, dukesilver said:

I'd buy a set of used 2002+ DRZ forks and revalve to taste, fresh oil, all new seals and bushings.  In and out in 1 day for under $300.  I used to buy the "USD forks are way better" until I learned to revalve my own.  I will say this - if you're MXing then USDs are your best bet.  If you're trailriding/dualsporting - nonsense.    Those 49mm legs are damn good, just need the proper touch.  And, of course nothing will work with the wrong springs - that's move 1.  If you're looking for cool factor - sure, the cool kids have USDs.  You have a DRZ .... prolly not worried about being a cool kid.

THAT ^:thumbsup:

38 minutes ago, dukesilver said:

Thanks for the help everyone i will be doing this it seems to be the consensus to be the most economical and effective method of getting some better forks for trail riding (my main concern). One final question for everyone. I am right in that my current triple tree clamps will work with the 2002 + forks correct? No need to get new clamps if there is nothing wrong with the ones i have. 

Edited by tplayer100
6 minutes ago, tplayer100 said:

Thanks for the help everyone i will be doing this it seems to be the consensus to be the most economical and effective method of getting some better forks for trail riding (my main concern). One final question for everyone. I am right in that my current triple tree clamps will work with the 2002 + forks correct? No need to get new clamps if there is nothing wrong with the ones i have. 

correct, every thing transfer over

11 hours ago, Bermudacat said:

Ouch! :shocked:

I'd go USD's if I was springing for those trees.

The work of putting them on would be the cheap part. :smirk:

The clamps by themselves are only $200 or so. I've seen people on this board spend that much on stickers.....:lol: