Rear brake pedal bolt stripped

Hey,

So the bolt that hold the rear brake pedal is stripped (well the threads in the frame). This is on a 2001 cr250. Because this is a special bolt with a collar for the brake pedal to sit on re-threading to the next size up bolt isn't really an option. Is there enough material there to drill out and us a helicoil? Would this be the best method? Anyone know the size/thread of the bolt off hand?

side note: The bolt I had previous (fell out while riding and was a nice surprise when I went to hit the brake and couldn't find the pedal) and the new OEM one I got from Honda don't have any provision for a cotter pin even though the parts list show a cotter pin. did I just randomly have 2 bolts that are wrong or is this a 2000/2001 "special feature" 

Edited by Hemps37

You're in luck! You an use the pivot from a 05-07 CR250 as they have the 10MM threads whereas yours should be 8MM. You can simply drill and tap your frame to 10MM and it will then be better than new. I also compared the shoulder dimensions of the 01 & 07 bolts and they are the same. Having the parts in hand vs simply checking part numbers online is much more conclusive

• Like 3

20 hours ago, mxsteve1968 said:

No cotter pin for the brake pedal on aluminum framed cr's....  

Yes you are correct regarding CR's however I was entertaining the option of using a CRF bolt, CRF X models do use a retaining pin on the bolt.

36 minutes ago, chopper61 said:

You're in luck! You an use the pivot from a 05-07 CR250 as they have the 10MM threads whereas yours should be 8MM. You can simply drill and tap your frame to 10MM and it will then be better than new. I also compared the shoulder dimensions of the 01 & 07 bolts and they are the same. Having the parts in hand vs simply checking part numbers online is much more conclusive

So 10mm is an m10,  8mm is a m8. Do you know the pitch of the threads? I already have a new 8mm 2001 bolt but piece of mind having 10mm and cotter pin I may go get a new one. 

25 minutes ago, Hemps37 said:

So 10mm is an m10,  8mm is a m8. Do you know the pitch of the threads? I already have a new 8mm 2001 bolt but piece of mind having 10mm and cotter pin I may go get a new one. 

I will check the pitch tomorrow, but be advised that you will not have a cotter pin with any of the CR bolts. Since you already have a new bolt you may just want to helicoil your frame.

19 hours ago, chopper61 said:

I will check the pitch tomorrow, but be advised that you will not have a cotter pin with any of the CR bolts. Since you already have a new bolt you may just want to helicoil your frame.

Thanks! Ya I checked the parts image after I posted and saw no cotter pin. 

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, seanmx57 said:

check it regularly for a while, helicoils are not many threads and don't always hold well. I would go to the m10 set up if it loosens up. I have never had one loosen up on a m8 set up in 30+ years of MX

I talked to my buddy who owns a fab shop and if it doesn't hold we will just fill it up and retap from scratch. But yes I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure. 

After owning this bike for 5 years or so I came to the conclusion that previous owner could cross thread every bolt without even trying.