Ryan Turner

05+ Cr250 or 06+ Yz250

8 posts in this topic

So I'm at a bit of a cross roads, I currently own a 06 rm250 and I love it. I also have a 02 kx250 which I'm selling with intent to buy a newer two stroke. I can't afford a newer ktm and the older ones aren't that great and kawasaki never impressed me. so I'm stuck between 06 yz250 and 05 cr250. I've heard the yz and rm after 06 are almost the same bike just the Suzuki handles better and the Yamaha has better suspension. So I'm not sure if I wanna buy carbon copy of my bike with slight differences. That's why I'm interested in a cr250 I heard the 02+ models RC valves are shit garbage but was mostly fixed in the 05-07 models. I ride at a track and at some bogs down the road from me. So from people who have owned both, what would you recommend. I know the cr is known for a hard hitting power band which I enjoy since im an aggressive rider. Should i just see which deal comes my way first.

Also I intend to make the RM my race machine and this other bike a goon machine to &%$#@! around on unless I end up liking it better then my rm 

That's what I've heard is it really that much better 

2 hours ago, shrubitup said:

CR is better handling bike by far over the yz. Motor on cr is easily tuned

10 minutes ago, Ryan Turner said:

That's what I've heard is it really that much better 

I have owned a 03 04 and 07 YZ250. Without aftermarket triple clamps the YZ "pushed" at speed doing rapid flicking in the woods. My 02 CR250 and friends 07 CR250 had knife like turning that would stick and slice every turn without pushing the front wheel. The YZ can be improved with the mod mentioned but I don't know how effective it is. The 02-04 CR250 motor bone stock is said to be slow because it doesn't have a hit. The motor is fast and smooth and conserves your energy because you're not fighting a hit all the time. The 05-07 CR250 has big mid range hit and little top end pull bone stock. These Honda motors are simply and cheaply tuned into something else you'd prefer (go to Honda two stroke section and read).

The CR250s have a bad wrap. They have hidden power. Once tuned they make a perfect powerband, pull very hard down low and rev high.

I went with a fmf fatty and shorty with vforce reeds. As long as your carb is jetted correctly, you own a beast.

I had an 02 CR250 before my 06 YZ250. There isn't much difference between the handling or power (trail riding). The CR had a shitty Mikuni carb that never ran the same on different days, cured with a Keihin. The YZ has fantastic forks. I didn't tune the CR beyond the carb but I've got a pipe and some head work on my YZ which turned it into a tractor.

One thing I didn't like about the CR was when I replaced the top end, I had to drill holes in the aftermarket piston for the exhaust bridge. Don't need to do that on the YZ. Also, the YZ has o-rings in the head and the CR has a flat gasket.

1 person likes this

Either way you are on the right track with the 2 strokes. 👊✊

Both are great bikes.

But from a mechanics standpoint I would agree with 2strokeYardSale on the Yamaha. 

On 3/12/2018 at 1:08 PM, 2strokeYardSale said:

I had an 02 CR250 before my 06 YZ250. There isn't much difference between the handling or power (trail riding). The CR had a shitty Mikuni carb that never ran the same on different days, cured with a Keihin. The YZ has fantastic forks. I didn't tune the CR beyond the carb but I've got a pipe and some head work on my YZ which turned it into a tractor.

One thing I didn't like about the CR was when I replaced the top end, I had to drill holes in the aftermarket piston for the exhaust bridge. Don't need to do that on the YZ. Also, the YZ has o-rings in the head and the CR has a flat gasket.